logo
Old 07-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Find More Posts by Spdstr280Z
United States, GA, Watkinsville
Joined Aug 2007
1,272 Posts
I don't have any of the others you mentioned to compare to, I have one of Ralph's lightened G26's, and have experience with the SPE 26 (not a great example I know) and the Syssa seems to be significantly more powerful than both. On a 16 pound RC Guys Decathlon it flew better than scale and had limited vertical. On a 10.2 pound Pilot Extra 260 (RIP), it was very powerful. Vertical as long as you cared to hold it, instant pull out, that was on the 18.5 X 5.5....
Spdstr280Z is offline Find More Posts by Spdstr280Z
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Find More Posts by MODE 1
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
I wonder how it compares to a DLE 30? I don't own one of these yet but I had the pleasure of borrowing one for over 6 months and that sure was a gutsy little motor. 19x7 was a perfect prop size for my style of 3D on a 72" span model. Plenty of power to hover at 1/3 and pull out was as fast as an 50-60cc size would do.

It just appears from looking at the video , the Syssa is making a lot of noise in a hover and pullout but with very little speed connected with it. It gets there in the end but almost appears to be at melting point in the process of doing so.
MODE 1 is offline Find More Posts by MODE 1
Old 07-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Find More Posts by Chris Todd
Suspended Account
United States
Joined Dec 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MODE 1 View Post
I wonder how it compares to a DLE 30? I don't own one of these yet but I had the pleasure of borrowing one for over 6 months and that sure was a gutsy little motor. 19x7 was a perfect prop size for my style of 3D on a 72" span model. Plenty of power to hover at 1/3 and pull out was as fast as an 50-60cc size would do.

It just appears from looking at the video , the Syssa is making a lot of noise in a hover and pullout but with very little speed connected with it. It gets there in the end but almost appears to be at melting point in the process of doing so.
are you referring to my video? If so, there's a DLE 30 at my field, and I can assure you that it is louder than my Syssa(both on stock mufflers) As for pullout with little speed, I'm running the 18.5X5.5... I like the instant power, and more of a slower performance on my 3D birds... Also, my plane weighed 12 pounds in the video... a normal 72" bird will probably weigh 10-11... I've since switched to a lighter setup and am weighing in around 11.5 pounds...
Chris Todd is offline Find More Posts by Chris Todd
Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 07-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by 1bigben
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Nov 2008
769 Posts
For Sale?

Quote:
I realize this will cause some heat but I have to say it anyway.
I'm a little dissapointed in the power and performance figures of this engine. I was expecting to see something startling in the video on the size of model it was fitted to but it's really quite a weak engine for its size, going by the prop size it uses. The reason I say this is because I have a Super Tiger 3250 engine converted to gas and its nearly as powerful as an MVVS 40.
Prop size for 3D is 20x8 but I find this is a little too sensitive for this kind of flying but a 22x6 works better. Both spin at or near the 7400 rpm mark. Mine is fitted to an EF Extra the same as the videos on here and hovering is done at 1/4 throttle. Any more and it starts to climb. Its prolly a little too powerful for this size of model and perhaps should be fitted to a 78" span.

My point being: for 2.5cc's less this engine seams to be lacking in power by a considerable amount. So with that in mind. Why would anyone choose it? An MVVS 26 can haul a 72" EF a little better than this on a stock muffler. Fit a tuned pipe and it produces phenomenal power for its tiny size.

Just asking is all , not trying to stir the poop.
I own one and would love to have another. Sounds like you are ready to sell yours cheap so PM me if you are.
1bigben is offline Find More Posts by 1bigben
Old 07-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Find More Posts by pryor808
Fast & Low
Originally from Puerto Rico but, live in NY. Go! Gabriel Altuz
Joined Nov 2009
3,459 Posts
If noise is a concern, a can is the solution. I am currently running the Dle 30 with a can and a Vess 19A. It's a great prop but, the plane (3DHS 71" Slick) does come in a little hot on landings on a calm day. Whith a good 10 mph + head wind, she is good.
pryor808 is offline Find More Posts by pryor808
Old 07-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Todd View Post
are you referring to my video? If so, there's a DLE 30 at my field, and I can assure you that it is louder than my Syssa(both on stock mufflers) As for pullout with little speed, I'm running the 18.5X5.5... I like the instant power, and more of a slower performance on my 3D birds... Also, my plane weighed 12 pounds in the video... a normal 72" bird will probably weigh 10-11... I've since switched to a lighter setup and am weighing in around 11.5 pounds...
Hey Chris ....where ya been bruva. Not seen you in a while?
Yep I was referring to your vid. What kind of RPM's are you getting on an 18.5X5.5? 8k, 8.5k.
I wouldn't really call the DLE stock muff even a muff its just a noise box with little to no acoustic suppression at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigben View Post
I own one and would love to have another. Sounds like you are ready to sell yours cheap so PM me if you are.
Er nope I don't have one. I was commenting on what I could see in the video and from what I have used or owned of similar size in the past.
I would still be interested in seeing some direct comparisons between the Syssa and DLE though . Same model same prop size. I'm sure others would be also. Since the DLE 30 already has a very good name for itself in power and performance. My ST isn't really a fair comparison I guess.
Last edited by MODE 1; 07-16-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by Chris Todd
Suspended Account
United States
Joined Dec 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Hey Chris ....where ya been bruva. Not seen you in a while?
Yep I was referring to your vid. What kind of RPM's are you getting on an 18.5X5.5? 8k, 8.5k.
I wouldn't really call the DLE stock muff even a muff its just a noise box with little to no acoustic suppression at all.
I've been around, don't really post a whole lot anymore... I haven't measured the RPM's. Frankly, I think ground testing is a bad idea, as is tuning to peak performance. I tune based on how the engine is performing in the air, and leave the numbers behind....

Quote:
Er nope I don't have one. I was commenting on what I could see in the video and from what I have used or owned of similar size in the past.
I would still be interested in seeing some direct comparisons between the Syssa and DLE though . Same model same prop size. I'm sure others would be also. Since the DLE 30 already has a very good name for itself in power and performance. My ST isn't really a fair comparison I guess.
Honestly, the DLE and Syssa are not similar engines. The DLE tends to prefer a bigger prop, while the Syssa prefers higher RPM on a smaller prop... The best way to test is to find the optimal prop for both engines and see how well they fly the plane...
Chris Todd is offline Find More Posts by Chris Todd
Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 08-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Find More Posts by 5150flyer
Avoiding Fake News
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2007
1,753 Posts
My attempts to install a MACS header and a 3DHS canister into this plane has failed.

The header fits the engine but is counter bored for the 5mm bolt that fits the OS140 and needless to say has no flex. The Extra 330 canister tunnel has maybe 1/8" clearance on the top and bottom of the canister. When you take into account the right offset of the engine this project becomes a small space nightmare.

Use the Syssa stock muffler - although I did have issues with mine leaking until I removed every bolt and reinstalled with loctite.

I was also unable to pass my club's noise rules with the stock Syssa muffler with noise inserts installed.
5150flyer is offline Find More Posts by 5150flyer
Last edited by 5150flyer; 08-30-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Find More Posts by joshet89
Mode1 Hack
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Aug 2010
65 Posts
After looking at the options I think I am going to keep with the stock pitts setup as well. My field isn't too restrictive when it comes to noise, so I think I'll keep my canister waiting for when the 3DHS highwinger comes out.
joshet89 is offline Find More Posts by joshet89
Old 08-18-2011, 08:51 AM
Find More Posts by 1bigben
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Nov 2008
769 Posts
SAP and Falcon Prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150flyer View Post
My attempts to install a MACS header and a 3DHS canister into this plane has failed.

The header fits the engine but is counter bored for the 5mm bolt that fits the OS140 and needless to say has no flex. The Extra 330 canister tunnel has maybe 1/8" clearance on the top and bottom of the header. When you take into account the right offset of the engine this project becomes a small space nightmare.

Use the Syssa stock muffler - although I did have issues with mine leaking until I removed every bolt and reinstalled with loctite.

I was also unable to pass my club's noise rules with the stock Syssa muffler with noise inserts installed.
If being loud is a concern I'd suggest you buy a 18*6 Falcon prop from Todd (yes he carries them now). I put one on my QQ YAK and it is as quiet as a 60 two stroke on a pipe. Mine is the standard exhaust with the inserts. Fact is, it is so quiet now I'm thinking of removing the silencers to see what that does.
The Falcon prop works and can guarantee that based on having now changed over three of my planes and hearing the benefit on each of them.
1bigben is offline Find More Posts by 1bigben
Old 08-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Find More Posts by kerwin50
cameron mo
Joined Oct 2010
1,471 Posts
Quote:
I realize this will cause some heat but I have to say it anyway.
I'm a little dissapointed in the power and performance figures of this engine. I was expecting to see something startling in the video on the size of model it was fitted to but it's really quite a weak engine for its size, going by the prop size it uses. The reason I say this is because I have a Super Tiger 3250 engine converted to gas and its nearly as powerful as an MVVS 40.
Prop size for 3D is 20x8 but I find this is a little too sensitive for this kind of flying but a 22x6 works better. Both spin at or near the 7400 rpm mark. Mine is fitted to an EF Extra the same as the videos on here and hovering is done at 1/4 throttle. Any more and it starts to climb. Its prolly a little too powerful for this size of model and perhaps should be fitted to a 78" span.

My point being: for 2.5cc's less this engine seams to be lacking in power by a considerable amount. So with that in mind. Why would anyone choose it? An MVVS 26 can haul a 72" EF a little better than this on a stock muffler. Fit a tuned pipe and it produces phenomenal power for its tiny size.

Just asking is all , not trying to stir the poop.
What did you do with that 3250, as I've owned several, and seen several converted to gas and never seen those kind of figures.
My DLE 30 with a Frank Bowman ring won't give that knid of performance, a 20/8 only gives my engine marginal performance. While I can get 19 lbs of static thrust with an APC 18/6W
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old 08-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by pryor808
Fast & Low
Originally from Puerto Rico but, live in NY. Go! Gabriel Altuz
Joined Nov 2009
3,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
What did you do with that 3250, as I've owned several, and seen several converted to gas and never seen those kind of figures.
My DLE 30 with a Frank Bowman ring won't give that knid of performance, a 20/8 only gives my engine marginal performance. While I can get 19 lbs of static thrust with an APC 18/6W
It's odd that you say that. I also have a Frank Bowman ring on a Dle30 with a 19A Vess and, it performs very good.
pryor808 is offline Find More Posts by pryor808
Old 08-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Avoiding Fake News
Joined Mar 2007
1,753 Posts
Update....

Since my project to install a Syssa on this plane and meet my club's noise rules failed, I decided to buy a DLE30. I have helped a few club members with their DLE30's (rear and side carb) and had mixed feelings about the engine. The engines seemed rough, hard to break in and less reliable than my DA engines. But I really want to fly this plane and I know a DLE30 with the 3DHS canister will be plenty quiet for my club.

Frankly, I was shocked by what I found:

• The manual that comes with the DLE30 is a joke. If you are new to gas engines, you are going to need help. My manual is now lining my daughter's pet rat cage.
  • The DLE was a pain to start the first time. Typical dry carb diaphragm issue that was fixed after getting a sore arm.
  • Once started it ran rather nicely. The low end was a bit lean, but within a half hour in the garage, I had a reliable, properly tuned gas engine.
  • 3DHS canister system went together without too much drama. Not much space, but hey it is a 30cc plane.
  • Engine ran great on 32:1 Lawnboy. I consider it fully broke in after 2 hrs. run time. Now I am running 45:1 Redline.
  • Xoar 19x8 at 7450 RPM and a nice smooth 1750 idle
  • Engine has never died on me and is easy to start.
  • I am a bit concerned about how long the header will last.
  • Canister makes a nice sound and max power.
The DLE30 has been rock solid after the first start with plenty of power and a nice transition. I wanted to try and support Syssa, but I just had too many issues starting with my first engine needing warrantly repairs, muffler that leaked and orders mishandled. Maybe if Syssa develops a canister system, I might reconsider.

Maybe I just got lucky and got a DLE built on Tuesday morning
Last edited by 5150flyer; 08-30-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
Did you find any performance increase between the Syssa and DLE on the same model? I don't own a DLE but I thought they had pretty good power for the time I was allowed to borrow it on one of my projects.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Avoiding Fake News
Joined Mar 2007
1,753 Posts
Pete,

The Vess 18.5x5.5 used on the Syssa has not yet been installed onto the DLE30 for a direct comparison.

I can say that a DLE30 with a canister has more power/thrust than a Syssa with a stock pitts muffler and noise inserts. This is based on numerous flights with both engines on the same plane doing the same acrobatics.

While both engines had plenty of power for this plane, I really like the DLE30's reliability and easy tuning. And it sure has a nice throttle transition.
Last edited by 5150flyer; 08-30-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Quick Reply