logo
Old 04-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Find More Posts by Obby1
Joined Dec 2011
402 Posts
Discussion
Walboro carb covers.

Looking at some YOUTUBE videos on walboro tuning and see several videos with aluminum cover plates on the diaphram side. Looked good and sealed better and had connections machined into the cap for fittings. Can not find where to buy them. If some body knows can you please let me know. Thanks
Obby1 is offline Find More Posts by Obby1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-11-2014, 07:21 AM
Find More Posts by al1242
Fly it like you stole it.
United States, IN, Crown Point
Joined May 2012
178 Posts
Carb Plate
al1242 is offline Find More Posts by al1242
Old 04-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Find More Posts by Low_Cal
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Dec 2009
2,624 Posts
I don't think that's what he's talking about. Sounds more like what DA is putting on the DA70.
Low_Cal is offline Find More Posts by Low_Cal
Old 04-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Find More Posts by RazorEdge
Always flying
Joined Feb 2008
651 Posts
There was a guy on the probro site that machined us all aluminum backing plates to replace the plastic ones on our Saitos a few years back... He might still be around there and talked into making some carb plates.

Maybe contact Azhar @ Aztec aero and see if he would do a run of them.
RazorEdge is offline Find More Posts by RazorEdge
Old 04-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by FoamieAirfarce
Joined Nov 2011
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low_Cal View Post
I don't think that's what he's talking about. Sounds more like what DA is putting on the DA70.
I think you're right L_C, seems Obby is looking for exactly that.............but FWIW 'al1214' does offer up a good point/alternative............depending what Obby is looking to achieve with a modified plate.

Not sure I've come across any complaints with regard to the 'seal' of the stock Walbro diaphragm cover, but as many of us do; 'plumbing' the static atmospheric port (hole) may be needed. Those stock plates on the DA70 would be a nice 'bolt on' to not have to engineer up your own (which really isn't hard) but those carb plates 'al1214' linked can work to achieve the same result ( but not always!). It did work for me on my DA50;

Worth a try because it's simple, and even there you can make one instead of buying one. I just got the Troy Built unit because I was ordering props anyway and, well, I'm lazy............

What are you looking to accomplish Obby? You have a troublesome in flight tune in some flight attitudes?
FoamieAirfarce is offline Find More Posts by FoamieAirfarce
Old 04-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by Obby1
Joined Dec 2011
402 Posts
no not looking for a carb plate. belive the person that said the new plate on the da-70 is what i am looking for. two reasons the stamped plate on the Waldoro plate are not good. many that i have submurged laeked, and the hole location can be a proble. the one that i saw on a french vidio looked great. sturdy and had a connection on the top so that a tube could be conected and located in a beter place.
To let you know the smallest leak from the diafram side will drive you nuts.
Obby1 is offline Find More Posts by Obby1
Old 04-13-2014, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by Jedijody
Proud father of 3 Soldiers
Joined Jun 2008
3,662 Posts
Never seen the stamped cover leak if the screws were torqued correctly. The bolt pattern is symmetrical, the vent hole can be positioned in 4 different locations. One of them will work for any installation period, unless you're one that doesn't route air through the cowl properly.
Jedijody is offline Find More Posts by Jedijody
Old 04-13-2014, 07:17 PM
Find More Posts by columbo
IMAC
United States, OK, Norman
Joined Jan 2006
1,015 Posts
I've been using that same plate on my DA-150 for a year and it works great. With an open cowl Yak 55...Engine was not flyable without it.
columbo is offline Find More Posts by columbo
Old 04-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Find More Posts by Low_Cal
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Dec 2009
2,624 Posts
Carb plates are ok; I used to use a carbon fiber plate like the one pictured on a DA-100. Routing the port to a static port on the fuse side is much better, though. Pretty easy to add a brass nipple to the stock cover. Also as Jody states, a properly baffled engine almost eliminates the need for any of it.
Low_Cal is offline Find More Posts by Low_Cal
Old 04-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Joined Nov 2011
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedijody View Post
the vent hole can be positioned in 4 different locations. One of them will work for any installation period, unless you're one that doesn't route air through the cowl properly.
Yes! Darn, forgot to mention that. That is something I learned here (probably from you Jody), that turning the plate in 90* intervals will more than likely get the vent hole in a place where errant turb in an unusual (or usual) attitude won't interfere with the carb's engineered design.

When I installed that plate I did turn the cover 90*. The carb now behaves itself quite nicely. Was it the plate or the turn? Don't know, don't care. It is so simple to do (turning the plate) and can be accomplished in three test flights in no time at all....................good stuff.................
Last edited by FoamieAirfarce; 04-14-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:39 PM
Joined Nov 2011
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low_Cal View Post
Pretty easy to add a brass nipple to the stock cover.
Also 'gold advice', especially if you deliberately are, as Jody states; one that doesn't route air through the cowl properly.

I did a DLE20 install in a P-47 and was belligerent about opening the cowl properly. I wanted as little cowl open as possible for 'scale'. Which is ignorant I know, but, well I was being belligerant! The engine ran at a safe operating temp. but burbled badly because of the ram air pressure into the cowl with 'no place to go' wreaked havoc on the diaphragm. I did the 'plate tap into the pill bottle interior fuselage' deal and it worked great!

Man I love this place! Whenever I go to a field and see a nice model burbling, missing, and dead sticking the little thing I say in my head; "That guy really awta register Flying Giants and get sorted out"

Quick Reply