logo
Old 12-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Find More Posts by jstanton
Millington, TN
Joined Apr 2007
171 Posts
Re: CMPro / Nitro Models 50CC Zero BUILD

Very nice guys. The Zero's look real nice. I have been flying this plane all summer and I am using a Brillelli 46GT engine with an APC 20x10 prop and it has more power than it needs. I also have been using the ESM landing gear for a ESM LA-7 and the gear works great and has held up with no issues. Go back and take a look at post# 131 thru 134 and you will see the gear and a small video of them working. The gear cost only $139.00 and even comes with 4" aluminum wheels I have since installed a robart air value so I could slow the retracts down and they work more scale like now. Have fun this plane is just a ball to fly
jstanton is offline Find More Posts by jstanton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Find More Posts by Fishdeth
Team BROKE
Winter Garden,Florida
Joined Apr 2006
1,919 Posts

Nice pics !
Thanks for sharing.
I see you're flying with the tank on.... NICE !

Jim
Fishdeth is offline Find More Posts by Fishdeth
Old 01-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Find More Posts by pjw4crcc
Flyin' Around
Chattanooga, TN
Joined Jan 2011
1 Posts

Nice informative thread that has hung in there for a year or so! Thanks for kicking it off, Jim.
I got my Zeke for X-mas, and am lining up a build for flying the 2011 flying season. One thing I've noticed is the size of the included main wheels is way too small. The CMP kit comes in at slightly larger than 1:5 scale, so the scale 23.62" mains should be about 4.75" diameter to look "right". Also, has anyone thought about cutting into the wing for split flaps?
;-)
PJ
pjw4crcc is offline Find More Posts by pjw4crcc
Old 01-03-2011, 05:57 AM
Millington, TN
Joined Apr 2007
171 Posts

PJ,

You are going to love this Zero I have been flying this Zero all season long and it is my favorite War Bird. I don't understand your question about cutting into the wing for Spilt Flaps my CMP Zero came with split flaps. You will not need any engine larger than a 45 to 55cc gasser for this plane. I have a Brillelli 46GT in mine and it has more power than it needs plus the whole engine fit inside the cowl withoue have to do to much cutting. Good luck and have lots of fun
Old 01-03-2011, 06:07 AM
Millington, TN
Joined Apr 2007
171 Posts

PJ,

One more thing the ESM Landing Gear works really well on this plane plus they come with 4" wheels and cost only $139.00. I used a set of the ESM Gear that was for a Russian LA-7 and they fit pretty well with on a little mode need to the gear area of the wing The ESM Gear for a Bear Cat will also work and are a little closer to the right length I have been told Here is a pic on my Zero.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Find More Posts by rossg
Flyin' Around
Joined Apr 2010
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanton View Post
PJ,

I don't understand your question about cutting into the wing for Spilt Flaps my CMP Zero came with split flaps.

It's just a technical point, but the CMP Zero has PLAIN FLAPS where a FULL SECTION of the trailing edge of the wing is hinged to move down. SPLIT FLAPS are built so that only an UNDERSIDE SECTION of the trailing edge is hinged to drop down. The UPPER WING SKIN is left intact right to the trailing edge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flap_(aircraft)

Regards, rossg
Old 01-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by rossg
Flyin' Around
Joined Apr 2010
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjw4crcc View Post
One thing I've noticed is the size of the included main wheels is way too small. The CMP kit comes in at slightly larger than 1:5 scale, so the scale 23.62" mains should be about 4.75" diameter to look "right". Also, has anyone thought about cutting into the wing for split flaps?
;-)
PJ
Just another technical point ! The CMP Zero is SLIGHTLY SMALLER THAN 1:5 Scale. If the wingspan is 2100mm and the full size is 11000mm then the scale is 5.238:1 and the wheels should therefore be 114.55mm diameter i.e. 4.509" diameter.

Why on earth CMP would go to all the trouble to manufacture a BIG "scale" Zero and then supply such SMALL WHEELS is beyond me ...

Not the end of the world, but not difficult to do it right either.

Regards, RossG
Old 01-27-2011, 12:55 AM
Find More Posts by rossg
Flyin' Around
Joined Apr 2010
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanton View Post
PJ,

One more thing the ESM Landing Gear works really well on this plane plus they come with 4" wheels and cost only $139.00. I used a set of the ESM Gear that was for a Russian LA-7 and they fit pretty well with on a little mode need to the gear area of the wing The ESM Gear for a Bear Cat will also work and are a little closer to the right length I have been told Here is a pic on my Zero.
Hi Jim

Nice job on your Zero and thanks for posting lots of hints, especially the LA-7 retracts. A small detail, on the video of your retracts, the gear covers don't quit sit flush with the wing. Is the wheel bottoming out in the wing cavity or is the 85 degree arc not quite enough?

When open, are the gear legs vertical to the ground? I realise they are for the LA-7 and may not be a perfect fit. But you still seem happy with the quality and the price is quite reasonable.

Regards RossG
Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 AM
Millington, TN
Joined Apr 2007
171 Posts

Ross,

You are correct in that the wheel cover don't fit flush with the wing. It has to do with the way the ESM gear is made. The ESM gear has the mounts for the gear on top. For the gear to be flush the mounts on the gear would have to be on the opposite side. That would allow the struts to retract all the way into the wheel well, but the would also mean you would have to put the wheel themselves on the outside of the struts instead of the inside like they should be. looking at this I desided to go with the ESM gear so the retacts had the wheel on the inside. The wheels do go all the why into the wing and I had to shim up the gear at the mounts about 1/4" because they where going to far when retracted and hitting the top side of the wing. You are right I am very happy with the gear and they are not totally stock looking. I have been told the ESM gear for the ESM Bearcat are much more stock looking and are even the correct lenght. The ESM gear for the LA-7 are about 1/2" short. Good luck with yours and have many Happy Flight
Old 06-24-2011, 11:57 PM
Find More Posts by l337sar
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2006
18 Posts
Thanks for all the great info guys. I picked up my zero 2 weeks ago. Found it on RCU from a builder who had not flown it yet or even started the engine. Since getting it I have fixing a few things that I didn't like about it done by the previous owner. I have it just about ready to go. I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind sharing your elevator/rudder/aileron throws. Mine has the elevator servos moved to the front and I am only able to get 3/4" up and 3/4 down travel at 100% endpoints. Will this be enough? Also Mine has the G62 on it so not much nose weight added. It currently balances at 5 3/4" from leading edge. Previous owner swears this is the right balance but as I have read CG seems to be critical for this model. Can you guys confirm this is about were the CG is on your zero? Thanks for the help.
l337sar is offline Find More Posts by l337sar
Old 07-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Find More Posts by higharc
Joined Jul 2008
32 Posts
Could someone tell me where the CG is located on this plane? Thanks.

Bob
higharc is offline Find More Posts by higharc
Old 08-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Find More Posts by bedrock
Flyin' Around
Magyarország, Heves, Eger
Joined Oct 2010
9 Posts
Hi,

I finished my Zero.
Motor: RCG 50
Servos: Hitec HS 5485 HB, Hitec HS 645 MG

bedrock is offline Find More Posts by bedrock
Old 08-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Find More Posts by bedrock
Flyin' Around
Magyarország, Heves, Eger
Joined Oct 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by higharc View Post
Could someone tell me where the CG is located on this plane? Thanks.

Bob

The CG in the manual is 145-155mm.
bedrock is offline Find More Posts by bedrock
Old 08-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Find More Posts by pryor808
Fast & Low
Originally from Puerto Rico but, live in NY. Go! Gabriel Altuz
Joined Nov 2009
3,459 Posts
Nice looking Zero! Good luck with it.
pryor808 is offline Find More Posts by pryor808
Old 11-01-2012, 04:35 AM
Find More Posts by jeremy1hastings
Joined Mar 2009
12 Posts
cmp zero 50cc

How do you guys mount those strut covers to your struts?

I cant get a close enough shot to see how yall got those to attach to your retract struts.

Also, I am just going to guess the right and down thrust. What I have always used as a rule of thumb(nothing exact, just enough to cound i guess) is that my left upper and left lower standoff has two washers. My right upper standoff has one washer and my lower right standoff has no washers. Now, if my stand off for the lower right is not wide enough, I will stick a washer there, but I then have to go back and add one washer everywhere else. Does this give me a sufficient right and down thrust you think?

Thank You Guys.

Jeremy
jeremy1hastings is offline Find More Posts by jeremy1hastings

Quick Reply