logo
Reply
Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Registered User
zippi's Avatar
Evansville Indiana
Joined Feb 2006
637 Posts
Discussion
*Pilot RC 32% 122" Decathlon*

Been looking at this plane and maybe an EME 70 twin. I contacted Chief Aircraft to see if they could ship va Greyhound at a much much low cost but they said no. $225.00 is a lot for shipping. I have found a host of old threads but not a lot within the past year are so. Who's flying one or looking at buying one??? What engine will you be using?
zippi is offline Find More Posts by zippi
Last edited by zippi; 09-18-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:57 AM
Sigh...really?
boggintuff's Avatar
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Dec 2009
2,698 Posts

I have been eyeing that same plane myself...

The boxes are huge with this plane....$225 isnt bad considering the size and number of boxes.
boggintuff is offline Find More Posts by boggintuff
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:16 PM
Registered User
zippi's Avatar
Evansville Indiana
Joined Feb 2006
637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggintuff View Post
I have been eyeing that same plane myself...

The boxes are huge with this plane....$225 isnt bad considering the size and number of boxes.
How many boxes? Do you know someone that ordered one?
zippi is offline Find More Posts by zippi
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:02 PM
Sigh...really?
boggintuff's Avatar
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Dec 2009
2,698 Posts

2 very large boxes
boggintuff is offline Find More Posts by boggintuff
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:36 PM
Registered User
grizzz's Avatar
Joined Jan 2011
264 Posts

I have one I used the da 85 with a canister it is a great plane the grizzz
grizzz is offline Find More Posts by grizzz
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:44 AM
Registered User
zippi's Avatar
Evansville Indiana
Joined Feb 2006
637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzz View Post
I have one I used the da 85 with a canister it is a great plane the grizzz
Any pics to share Grizzz?
zippi is offline Find More Posts by zippi
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:36 PM
Registered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jan 2007
9 Posts

I fly one. I installed a ZDZ 80 with Krumscheid canister.
Batteries in the tail to compensate for CG.

As been said before, it comes in two large boxes. Wings in one box, Fuse and everything else in the other.


The plane flies great. Like a very large trainer. It flies about half the speed as my other GS (aerobatic) planes. With the flaps down you can fly around at almost walking pace. I tend to fly it more then my other planes because its so relaxing and easy to fly.





FragDaddy is offline Find More Posts by FragDaddy
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Registered User
zippi's Avatar
Evansville Indiana
Joined Feb 2006
637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragDaddy View Post
I fly one. I installed a ZDZ 80 with Krumscheid canister.
Batteries in the tail to compensate for CG.

As been said before, it comes in two large boxes. Wings in one box, Fuse and everything else in the other.


The plane flies great. Like a very large trainer. It flies about half the speed as my other GS (aerobatic) planes. With the flaps down you can fly around at almost walking pace. I tend to fly it more then my other planes because its so relaxing and easy to fly.





Nice. Thanks for the info.
zippi is offline Find More Posts by zippi
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Registered User
Low_Cal's Avatar
South Weber, Utah
Joined Dec 2009
2,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzz View Post
I have one I used the da 85 with a canister it is a great plane the grizzz
DA85 is what I'm using on mine also. I had initiailly planned on a DA60, but based on other's experiances didn't sound like enough power for the way I like to fly. If using a big single like the DA85, I suggest adding more wood to the motor box and forward section.
Low_Cal is online now Find More Posts by Low_Cal
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:35 PM
Registered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jan 2007
9 Posts

I would also recommend some strengthening to the fuse in some places.

But on the other hand, you want to keep it as light as possible, because with a big single in front, the CG will already be way to far forward. I have the batteries half way down the tail.

I glassed the firewall to the motorbox. I did not use the aluminum brackets that where supplied. They are far to heavy.




I also doubled up the plywood on the front window frame and ran it into the motor box and glassed it all together.


I glued a piece of plywood between the front window frame and the wing tube. Glassed that together. This, together with the modification above strengthens the connection between the wings and the motor box. (in my opinion). I did not want to rely on the wing struts alone to carry the forces from the motor box to the wings.


Finally i cut out the original wood rudder servo tray thingy in the fuse and lengthened the motor box / canister tunnel, tying it in with the rest of the fuse. Placed the rudder servo in the tail. Also for CG.


I admit i got a bit carried away, but i didn't have anything else to build last winter.


In the coming months i want to add a tow-hook. That would require some additional strengthening.
FragDaddy is offline Find More Posts by FragDaddy
Last edited by FragDaddy; 09-23-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Registered User
zippi's Avatar
Evansville Indiana
Joined Feb 2006
637 Posts

I gotta be honest guys, I have never seen a firewall so thin on a plane this size. Just doesn't look that structurally sound to me. How thick is the firewall ? I know a lot of guys are using the DLE 85 but man the front of this plane looks so light. Somebody tell me I'm wrong on what I'm seeing.
zippi is offline Find More Posts by zippi
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Registered User
Low_Cal's Avatar
South Weber, Utah
Joined Dec 2009
2,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippi View Post
I gotta be honest guys, I have never seen a firewall so thin on a plane this size. Just doesn't look that structurally sound to me. How thick is the firewall ? I know a lot of guys are using the DLE 85 but man the front of this plane looks so light. Somebody tell me I'm wrong on what I'm seeing.
My thoughts as well. Better double the thickness of entire motorbox assembly if you're using a DA-85.
Low_Cal is online now Find More Posts by Low_Cal
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Registered User
Low_Cal's Avatar
South Weber, Utah
Joined Dec 2009
2,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragDaddy View Post
I would also recommend some strengthening to the fuse in some places.

But on the other hand, you want to keep it as light as possible, because with a big single in front, the CG will already be way to far forward. I have the batteries half way down the tail.

I glassed the firewall to the motorbox. I did not use the aluminum brackets that where supplied. They are far to heavy.




I also doubled up the plywood on the front window frame and ran it into the motor box and glassed it all together.


I glued a piece of plywood between the front window frame and the wing tube. Glassed that together. This, together with the modification above strengthens the connection between the wings and the motor box. (in my opinion). I did not want to rely on the wing struts alone to carry the forces from the motor box to the wings.


Finally i cut out the original wood rudder servo tray thingy in the fuse and lengthened the motor box / canister tunnel, tying it in with the rest of the fuse. Placed the rudder servo in the tail. Also for CG.


I admit i got a bit carried away, but i didn't have anything else to build last winter.


In the coming months i want to add a tow-hook. That would require some additional strengthening.
Nice work! And that's exactly where they break, nose comes off by windshield.
Low_Cal is online now Find More Posts by Low_Cal
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Registered User
zippi's Avatar
Evansville Indiana
Joined Feb 2006
637 Posts

I really like the looks of this plane but....$1525.00 to get one to my door is pushing the limit for me and for that much money I don't want to have to rebuild the whole front end of the plane and cabin area. As long as this plane has been out you would have thought Pilot RC would have corrected this weak area by now. I'm thinking now I may have to pass on this one.
zippi is offline Find More Posts by zippi
Last edited by zippi; 09-27-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Registered User
Low_Cal's Avatar
South Weber, Utah
Joined Dec 2009
2,188 Posts

All Pilot RC planes seemed to be built this way, very light weight to the point of being fragile. Not just the Super Dec. As for the cost, Chief Aircraft has some good sales on Pilot planes.

Bill Hemple RC has a lot of Super Decs of different sizes; might try one of those.
Low_Cal is online now Find More Posts by Low_Cal
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools