Find More Posts by aviti
St Louis, MO
Joined Jan 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by louu View Post
Hey guys,
I wana start looking into flying.
I dont know anything about it, I dont have much extra money right now, so whats the cheapest way to go about it?
And how do I get the most bang for my buck?
I hear people talk about those flying clubs, whats that all about?
I learned to fly in the mid-80's when a Cessna 152 was 30 bucks an hour, 45 with instructor. Now you are looking at 100-115 an hour for a Cessna 150/152 or the new 162 Skycatcher. More like 140 an hour with instructor. I'd suggest going the Light Sport route first with the 162 or similar. Then is you want you full Private, continue on.

I'm no expert but been looking into getting back to flying after 20+ years away. I have my Private but have been studying the Light Sport options as well.

You are looking at about $2500 minimum to get your Sport Pilot Lic from what I can tell (that's 20 hours, 10 dual, 10 solo).

Once you are licensed, you're looking at like $500/month to fly one hour a week. If you fly a couple hours a week, you are probably money ahead by buying something like a Cessna 150.

Let us know what you decide.
aviti is offline Find More Posts by aviti
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Find More Posts by jwilliams
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by louu View Post
Hey guys,
I wana start looking into flying.
I dont know anything about it, I dont have much extra money right now, so whats the cheapest way to go about it?
And how do I get the most bang for my buck?
I hear people talk about those flying clubs, whats that all about?

How old are you??? Take a look at the military....otherwise sport pilot is the cheapest.
Jeff
jwilliams is offline Find More Posts by jwilliams
Old 01-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Find More Posts by STAP71
STAP
CONCORD, NC
Joined Jan 2006
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrus View Post
I used to think that in the real world you don't ever hold. Then I flew out of ATL!!
Or LGA......... sespool of the northeast.......
STAP71 is offline Find More Posts by STAP71
Old 01-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Find More Posts by STAP71
STAP
CONCORD, NC
Joined Jan 2006
587 Posts
As I sit here in Newark NJ getting ready to report for another day flying the friendly skies...... I reflect back to 3 days ago.... northeast full of rain and snow....swapping into a plane with yaw damper and auto pilot MEL'd...... the captain looking at me and saying.... "your round trip'..... then hand flying 2, 1.5hr+ legs. with approaches to mins at both ends..... and thanks to my love of flying.... i actually enjoyed it!.......Loving life!.....
STAP71 is offline Find More Posts by STAP71
Old 01-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by louu
go fast, dont crash.
south dirty jersey
Joined Oct 2008
2,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
How old are you??? Take a look at the military....otherwise sport pilot is the cheapest.
Jeff

Im 31, where do I go to get started for the sport pilot?
louu is offline Find More Posts by louu
Old 01-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,822 Posts
OK, military is not an option. Check with your local airports see if they offer it or know of a place near you that does. Another thing you can do is check with local colleges and see of they offer a private pilot ground school. You could do the ground/book part before you ever fly and that can help you decide if you want to proceed deeper into it. If no local colleges then order the Gleim books or Jeppesen or usually in the front of Flying magazine the King tape series will teach primary flight. Even if you decide to continue having the ground stuff done will not hurt.
Jeff
Old 01-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Find More Posts by Pistolera
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2006
4,242 Posts
Another option might be the Civil Air Patrol;

http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/

The local chapter I was a member of back in the early '80s used to allow primary flight instruction with their Cessna 150/152 at very discounted rates, with qualified instructors of course. Not sure if they still do that anymore, but worth an inquiry.

Earle
Pistolera is offline Find More Posts by Pistolera
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 01-17-2012, 08:05 AM
Find More Posts by citrus
United States, CO, Evergreen
Joined May 2006
646 Posts
I don't know if sail planes (gliders) interests you but, bang for the buck they are unbeatable. Unless you want to actually go somewhere there is no better way to experience flight. I haven't done it in a while but I plan on adding a sail plane rating in the near future.
citrus is offline Find More Posts by citrus
Old 01-19-2012, 02:22 AM
Find More Posts by louu
go fast, dont crash.
south dirty jersey
Joined Oct 2008
2,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolera View Post
Another option might be the Civil Air Patrol;

http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/

The local chapter I was a member of back in the early '80s used to allow primary flight instruction with their Cessna 150/152 at very discounted rates, with qualified instructors of course. Not sure if they still do that anymore, but worth an inquiry.

Earle

Thats pretty cool, im going to look into this when I get finished my next job.
Ill be done about mid march.
Thanks for the info everyone.
louu is offline Find More Posts by louu
Old 01-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Find More Posts by Aurora RC
Team Aurora
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
I have been flying full scale on and off for about 9 or so years but never went for an actual license - too busy with RC, but I've been planning on getting my certificate for LSA sooner than later so I at least rent out the local C-42s.
Flying is too fun to bypass in life. I recently got a ride in the Collings foundation P-51C as a gift (insanely awesome gift) and that was the most incredible experience ever - I got to take the controls and do some aerobatics over the lake (cubans, reverse cubans, loops, rolls, etc). Unforgettable, and that thing flies like a doll to say the least.

I have about 10 hours in a Stearman as well... not to mention the idolization of John Mohr. That dude is the bomb.
Aurora RC is offline Find More Posts by Aurora RC
Old 01-26-2012, 05:22 AM
Find More Posts by rcakropilot
What... Weather sucks again!!!
Hyannis, Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2007
5,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STAP71 View Post
As I sit here in Newark NJ getting ready to report for another day flying the friendly skies...... I reflect back to 3 days ago.... northeast full of rain and snow....swapping into a plane with yaw damper and auto pilot MEL'd...... the captain looking at me and saying.... "your round trip'..... then hand flying 2, 1.5hr+ legs. with approaches to mins at both ends..... and thanks to my love of flying.... i actually enjoyed it!.......Loving life!.....

It's amazing the things we put up with on a continuing basis, just to drive airplanes.
rcakropilot is offline Find More Posts by rcakropilot
Old 01-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Find More Posts by 180pilot
United States, GA, Lake Park
Joined Nov 2009
38 Posts
1500 hrs, PPL/Instrument, 800 tailwheel,high perf, own a 1955 C-180 , business and casual flying.
180pilot is offline Find More Posts by 180pilot
Old 02-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Find More Posts by sirzepp
United States, TX, Kilgore
Joined Aug 2011
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcakropilot View Post
It's amazing the things we put up with on a continuing basis, just to drive airplanes.
No doubt.

I'm new...good to meet all of you.

9 years flying the barbie jet for SkyWest. Still enjoy the folks I fly with...so that's saying something. Sorry if I offended for the barbie jet comment, but hey...it's good for a chuckle every time a mainline pilot calls me that!

LOL.

Anyway...I'm loving being back in the R/C hobby...honestly makes me have hankering to go find a full scale Citabria to putt around in again.

(I think I have around 9,000 hours...haven't updated the log in a bit)
sirzepp is offline Find More Posts by sirzepp
Old 02-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,822 Posts
sirzepp, what is the barbie jet? I'm an A300 guy at UPS and never heard any RJ called barbie jet. Enlighten me.
Jeff
Old 02-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Find More Posts by jerrysu29
Rapid City S.D.
Joined May 2008
1,348 Posts
I have 400 some hrs PPL taildragger right off, float rating, picked up in Seatle in 99 and Complex. Started my Inst. in a Mooney M 20 C When one of the Older guys in the Flying Club with 4,000 some hrs went out to the Airport to use up $75.00 worth of flight Credit and on his last time around the patch to land left the gear up and Bellied the plane in Totaling the plane and ruining my chance to finish my Inst. Rating at a decent price. Other planes Mooney Rocket, Mooney V tail , Piper Cherokee Warrior , Cherokee 140 "D" and the one I soloed in was a Cesna 150 Inst. Rated
N714GF fun little Airplane until a Student a ( Rapid City Police Detective) Wrecked it sitting on the ramp. LOL !!! Rapid Tower warned him of a microburst of 80 knt or greater and to take advacive action the burst hit the 150 from the rear He pulled back on the yoke and rainbowed the plane over on its Top with the engine running our club lost one more. Frightened He popped the door open un latched his seat belt and almost broke his neck. I will miss that little 150 Cesna N714GF rest in piece.
jerrysu29 is offline Find More Posts by jerrysu29
Last edited by jerrysu29; 02-20-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply