Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Technology > Radios
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 02-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Alexg
Flyin' Around

Default DX8 sticks calibration problem

Hello,

Yesterday my son was flying his Carbon Z yak 54, using our DX8 and he said his plane was acting strange. He needed left rudder so he landed. When we checked the aiplane we noticed the rudder was like 20 degrees to the right and erratically moving. i thought it would be interference or servo gone bad. but we switched to other model an Eagle 580, and the same rudder 20 deg right. We entered the servo monitor screen and yes rudder stick center and rudder was showing right. We cycled the rudder and noticed it would go full right, but with full left stick it was just a little left rudder and with stick centered was off to the right. This was shown on the plane's rudder and on the servo monitor screen.

We tried to calibrate the DX8 but we could not get the OK's on the left stick. Only right stick and knob. And also the save was inactive. After many tries we finally got the OK on everything and we saved it. Recentered the rudder with subtrim and It seemed back to normal, but after a while the opposite happened! We recalibrated again having problems to get the ok for the left stick. After a while of cycling we got the oks and were able to save. And all went back to normal. We reseted subtrim to our previous setting and han no more problems.

What could have cause this? Why is it so hard to get the oks on the left screen? Do this radios need to be calibrated periodically? Any known issue with this radio? Is it likely this will happen again?

Thanks
Alex
Old 02-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
Alexg
Flyin' Around

i just found out there is an important product bulletin for this.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...servos-SPM8800

On the top right in red "important product bulletin"

Alex
Old 02-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Theflyinglineman
God is life

I had the same problem trying to calibrate the sticks. I was doing this as a precaution and not because of any problems. I called spectrum they told me to calibrate the left stick the throttle must be in the middle not at low or high. I read all of the Bulletins and I plan on doing all of the checks before I fly with this radio. I just bought it and don't want to take a chance on crashing one of my planes. Thanks for posting.

Thanks

Adam
Theflyinglineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
pyroM!KE
Gettin' Lower!

Thanks for the heads up..Mine wasnt one of the recalled ones..My pid started with HC.

Last edited by pyroM!KE; 02-04-2013 at 06:18 PM.
pyroM!KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Theflyinglineman
God is life

Does anyone know if the pin is also in the serial number I am not at home but I have the serial number with me

Thanks

Adam
Old 02-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
pyroM!KE
Gettin' Lower!

The pid is different than the serial number..It is on mine anyway..
pyroM!KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
Theflyinglineman
God is life

Quote: Originally Posted by pyroM!KE
View Post
The pid is different than the serial number..It is on mine anyway..
Thanks