birdbrain is offline Find More Posts by birdbrain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Find More Posts by bells33
United States, NJ, Manalapan
Joined Aug 2010
111 Posts
PTE vs GT33

Hey guys... Ok, i have a 71" AJ Slick with a DLE30. I think I can get more from the plane 3d wise. I was going to upgrade to PTE36 or GT33. Assuming money was no object (untrue) which engine should i get??

Just looking for opinions. Im guessing the PTE is best value, but I want the best ENGINE for 3d!!

thanks for any help
bells33 is offline Find More Posts by bells33
Old 06-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by brathanke
3d NooBular
Joined Nov 2010
161 Posts
If you want the best go with the OS. That being said you are right about the value of the PTE36cc. The way I look at it you can do a few small things to the PTE to make it perfect and save $100. I have had a few minor problems with mine but Mike at ibcinyourc.com has been quick and available for help.

I had a vibration issue: Solution: the reed block was not perfectly flat. Solved in a few minutes with some high grit sand paper on a very flat surface. BTW this is a walbro part so it could happen on any engine.

I have had the needles creep on me. Again this is a walbro carb and could happen on any motor. I stretched the springs and added about 1.5 wraps of teflon around the needle threads. When the motor is completely broken in I will add a small amount of blue loctite.

The only other thing I did on this motor was to get a custom ring from Frank Bowman. This is totally optional but it is a nice upgrade to make a quicker break-in and a little better power down the road. The stock ring ran fine but I wanted the motor to break in in a gallon of gas or less.

I'm am starting to get the motor dialed in pretty well and it is an absolute monster.

I think these little issues would most likely not come up with the OS but the PTE is just as powerful and seems to be just as reliable once you get it dialed in.

Hope this helps.

-Nate
brathanke is offline Find More Posts by brathanke
Old 07-02-2012, 06:34 AM
Find More Posts by n2201y
Account Closed
United States, AR, Magnolia
Joined Jan 2011
751 Posts
We have been running 2 pte36 engines for a little over a year now with 0 problems. These things have great power. We fly almost every weekend and run the snot out of them. Call mike at ibcinyourc.com for great service and fast shipping. Tell him Brian sent you!
n2201y is offline Find More Posts by n2201y
Old 07-08-2012, 02:33 AM
Find More Posts by krokko
Flyin' Around
France
Joined Apr 2007
5 Posts
yes, I got it, but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by den327 View Post
anybody heard how the PTE 36R engine is doing?
Got my PTE36 yesterday!
looks great, BUT, the choke was installed upside down, couldnt close it, ok, just unscrew, turn it and put it back, OK!
BUT, drilling the 18x8 prop properly and starting to put it on, noway, did not work, after checking everything properly I realized that the bolts were bent, luckily I have my own little box, Replaced the bolts and, see, she started up and run her for a couple of minutes, looks OK, will do the running in later. Planning to put it in to a H9 Tiger Moth.......

rgds/krokko
krokko is offline Find More Posts by krokko
Old 07-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Find More Posts by 1bigben
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Nov 2008
769 Posts
A Little Humor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokko View Post
Got my PTE36 yesterday!
looks great, BUT, the choke was installed upside down, couldnt close it, ok, just unscrew, turn it and put it back, OK!
BUT, drilling the 18x8 prop properly and starting to put it on, noway, did not work, after checking everything properly I realized that the bolts were bent, luckily I have my own little box, Replaced the bolts and, see, she started up and run her for a couple of minutes, looks OK, will do the running in later. Planning to put it in to a H9 Tiger Moth.......

rgds/krokko
Ok I have to ask..."did you have your engine drop shipped?"
Bent prop bolts is an odd one for sure.
1bigben is offline Find More Posts by 1bigben
Old 07-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by krokko
Flyin' Around
France
Joined Apr 2007
5 Posts
bolts bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigben View Post
Ok I have to ask..."did you have your engine drop shipped?"
Bent prop bolts is an odd one for sure.
Hi
Kingcobradistribution in UK sold it to me! First time I ever had the bolts bent. Somebody most have dropped, (maybe it was drop shipped, LOL), the engine at some point. Poor Q control!

rgds
krokko is offline Find More Posts by krokko
Last edited by krokko; 07-09-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by mmaughmer
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
PTE36R muffler problems

I have the PTE36R on a Goldwing RC MX2 by Troy Built Models. I admit that the PTE has more power than the DLE 30, but the muffler that comes with it stock is crap. I have had to weld my stacks back on, and now the entire muffler has broken away from the mounting plate where it bolts to the motor. I will be welding that tomorrow at work. Not a hard fix, just a pain. So far I have about 6 flights, and 3 of which I had my muffler fail. I hope they come out with a better mufller, because the motor is a beast.
mmaughmer is offline Find More Posts by mmaughmer
Old 08-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by brathanke
3d NooBular
Joined Nov 2010
161 Posts
They are on their 3rd generation of mufflers now. I just ordered one. $39 for ibcinyourc.com. They only had 2 in stock when I ordered Saturday night.
brathanke is offline Find More Posts by brathanke
Old 08-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by n2201y
Account Closed
United States, AR, Magnolia
Joined Jan 2011
751 Posts
We had one muffle break which we were told could happen. As soon as I did mike sent us a new and improved one and 4 months of every weekend thrashing and no problems. Be sure that u balance every rotating part you bolt to the engine. Prop, spinner, and backplate. I even weigh the bolts and either place them accordingly or file off till the same. Be sure to balance the hub of the prop too, not just the tips. Tim pastor has a nice instructional vid on how to do it.
n2201y is offline Find More Posts by n2201y
Old 08-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by jarheadflyer
United States, ID, Hazelton
Joined Oct 2009
788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Smith View Post
I ordered one yesterday for the new Sig Rascal 110 I'm assembling. I hope the issures are all worked out--Muffler-resisitor -plug cap.. It looks to be a perfect fit for the Rascal and not have to chop up the cowl. y'all know of anyone with this motor in a Rascal? Thanks Brian P Smith Tullahoma Tn

Have been flying the girlfriends rascal 110 all summer long with the ptr in it. The install was not hard but took a little creative engineering to get it to fit on the firewall in the right location. I posted pics of the install on here somewhere, I'll see if I can't find you a link...
jarheadflyer is offline Find More Posts by jarheadflyer
Old 08-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Find More Posts by jarheadflyer
United States, ID, Hazelton
Joined Oct 2009
788 Posts
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...t=71898&page=2

posts 20 and 21 have some good pics of how I modded the motor to fit in the Rascal
jarheadflyer is offline Find More Posts by jarheadflyer
Old 01-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by tom_sandiego
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2009
15 Posts
You all very lucky, I had the engine about a year and went through 2 first generation muffler, one Ignition, one heavy duty muffler and couple holes on the housing the threads went bad that required to fix with the helicoils.
tom_sandiego is offline Find More Posts by tom_sandiego
Old 01-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Find More Posts by Brian Smith
United States, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Jan 2007
206 Posts
Go with the OS

I end up sending my PTE 36 back. I'm thankful that Troy built would take it back. That is all I better say about that. Brian
Brian Smith is offline Find More Posts by Brian Smith

Quick Reply