logo
Old 04-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Find More Posts by kevinf2501
United States, TX, Denton
Joined Apr 2007
863 Posts
Yep he's probably taking care of his daughter. I spoke with him 2 weeks ago and got a 100cc 260 thats on the way!
kevinf2501 is offline Find More Posts by kevinf2501
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Been trying to email Bill from his website but no luck. Does anybody else knows how to get a hold of him? I'm looking to buy a 100cc yak 55 and I just wanted to know if comes in any other scheme other then blue/white/red. Maybe he'll come in and see this?
Yup, yellow/red, the one on the cover of the manual.

http://www.billhempel.com/yak/YakManual.pdf
MaceH is offline Find More Posts by MaceH
Old 04-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by Timber
United States, IL, Hoffman Estates
Joined Sep 2011
246 Posts
Well I hope everything ok with his family! There's nothing more important then family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceH View Post
Yup, yellow/red, the one on the cover of the manual.

http://www.billhempel.com/yak/YakManual.pdf
Yeah but when I click on BUY NOW it takes me to paypal but it does not give me a choice of color scheme. The one that's on the cover would be the one I want.
Timber is offline Find More Posts by Timber
Old 04-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Find More Posts by toc pilot
Tucson, Az.
Joined Jan 2006
2,067 Posts
Hello Timber,

Hry sending me an email here: billhempel@cox.net I have checked my spam but dont see anything from you, sorry.
toc pilot is offline Find More Posts by toc pilot
Old 07-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by wgdenge
BrownChickenBrownCow
Augusta, GA
Joined Jan 2006
437 Posts
Gents, Has anyone tried fitting pipes into the 100CC Yak. I have a set of SmoothPipes that I was going to try to fit, but it looks like major surgery will be required. If anyone had done it, then I will attempt. If not, then normal cans go in.

Thanks
Wayne
wgdenge is offline Find More Posts by wgdenge
Old 08-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
Maidened mine today, DA120, 26lbs.

Flat spin is not so flat- balances at rear of wing tube, is hands off inverted. Otherwise wailingly nice flyer. Any ideas on the flat spin? I have >45* elevator throws.
Last edited by MaceH; 01-27-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:08 PM
Find More Posts by Mike Busutil
We like to watch....
Yuma Arizona
Joined Mar 2008
2,662 Posts
Did you use any power during the spin?
Mike Busutil is offline Find More Posts by Mike Busutil
Old 08-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
Hi Mike

Tried that but only with part throttle- does more power help? Was reading up about how to actually do flat spins- most of which I don't. For me normally just use up (or down, if inverted) elevator and rudder. I'll try some inside aileron as well next time out.

When I applied power though to see the effect it just turned it into a spiral. Same for adding outside aileron.

Other planes I have that are really tail heavy (they climb hands off inverted) tumble and flat spin really well, so...

For now moved the cg back a quarter inch (so, now I'm balanced a quarter inch behind the wing tube, a full inch and half back from recommended) and increased rudder throw.

What has me confused is that other than my F3A Vanquish, this plane has the most nose-down spin of any. Really want to be able to do a nice power off flat spin since those finish blenders in a really pretty way.

FWIW pop tops are nice and otherwise the plane is delightful; winds were >10kts for the first gallon and all the landings were greasers- really nice. Dunno how the hover/harrier behavior is since, well, the engine is new and ambient was near 100F. Likely next time out will let it heat up more and have more fun!
Old 08-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
I was also pleasantly surprised to pull an aileron hinge rod and see zero abrasion after that gallon- the brass horn inserts actually polish the carbon fiber rods- great choice of materials Mr Hempel!
Old 08-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
So... still nose down spins but I THINK they are better. Curiously plane is not climbing when inverted or when in 45* inverted upline.

Moving cg back another half inch- I'm now some 1" behind rear edge of wing tube. I'm wondering how this can be correct when recommended is on the wing tube center.

At end of second gallon the DA is starting to get quite strong.

I can see how at the forward cg this plane would be an IMAC beast- really smooth, nice straight lines!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
Best Flyer ever

Now with cg 1.25" behind wing tube I can say this is the best flying airplane I have. Just awesome.

No underpowered feeling at (now) 25.5lbs. Nice straight lines and my best one-roll circles and loops, flat spins are nice now also. Lands at a crawl.
Last edited by MaceH; 01-27-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Find More Posts by Timber
United States, IL, Hoffman Estates
Joined Sep 2011
246 Posts
Mine was is the same, cg set at the center of the wing tube. I go 45 up line and go inverted stays right at 45. Just great a flying plane, love mine!
Timber is offline Find More Posts by Timber
Old 09-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by flyracer
Wanna Be 3D Pilot
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Apr 2007
1,013 Posts
looking for inputs from any pilots using the 103' BH Yak55 for IMAC.... what bracket are you in, what engine/muffler configuration, general weight(s) and how you see your setup performing against other types of airframes.

I'm looking to move to SPORTSMAN next year and I am looking for an airframe that snaps cleanly, stalls/breaks predicably and yet I can move my existing 100cc equipment to.

thanks
Flyracer
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Old 11-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Find More Posts by scale_sloper
United States, CA, Hollister
Joined Dec 2013
42 Posts
Flyracer,

Did you ever find anything out about this beautiful plane for IMAC purpses and what plane did you end up going with?

SS
scale_sloper is offline Find More Posts by scale_sloper
Old 11-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by flyracer
Wanna Be 3D Pilot
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Apr 2007
1,013 Posts
SS
I chose the 37% Bill Hemple Extra260 which was little more cost effective for me.... I ran the 260 in two competitions already (BASIC at Las Vegas and then Sportsman at Florence) with good results and IMHO the Extra260 is very capable in IMAC....

I would like to get my hands on the large BH Yak55 and throw a DA150 with pipes in it. Here in the Southwest we've encountered 15mph to 25mph at every contest the 2nd half of the year! A bigger plane is going to handle the wind better.

Jacques

jacques
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer

Quick Reply