logo
Old 06-26-2007, 08:21 AM
Find More Posts by jasonflier
capetown,south africa
Joined Sep 2006
508 Posts
3MM toc 53cc

Has anybody had any experiences with this motor by wild hare RC,good or bad?
jasonflier is offline Find More Posts by jasonflier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-26-2007, 08:33 AM
Find More Posts by wildhare
Suspended Account
Texas
Joined Jul 2006
1,487 Posts
Re: 3MM toc 53cc

I have sold about 50 of these engines so far. I am sure that somebody will have some comments.

Anything I would say would be seen as sales hype, so let the others comment.

TF
wildhare is offline Find More Posts by wildhare
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 06-26-2007, 08:42 AM
tim
Find More Posts by tim
tim
Joined May 2006
128 Posts

I have about 8 or 9 gallons thru mine. Excellent motor. No problems what so ever. Using a Vess 23A prop on a 16.5 lb., 85" Yak 54 prototype. Purchased mine from www.dawghouserc.com. 1 Year warranty, parts in stock, engines in stock, full service and $399.00 that includes motor, ignition and muffler. Running Klotz at 50:1 ratio. Starts easily, transitions great, low idle, low vibration and pulls my plane out of a hover with authority with unlimited vertical.
tim is offline Find More Posts by tim
Old 06-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Find More Posts by bosshoss
Joined Feb 2006
712 Posts

dlusa.net 3lb 50cc 370.00 shipped is the economy way, DA is THE way.

I like both for different purposes.
bosshoss is offline Find More Posts by bosshoss
Old 06-26-2007, 10:06 AM
capetown,south africa
Joined Sep 2006
508 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys

Ive also looked at the DL but this one seems nice from what ive read and heard so far

So its not a cheap chinese,cheap quality motor that doesnt run like some other engines on the market
Last edited by jasonflier; 06-26-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by Flyinhigh
Joined Jan 2006
571 Posts

I bought my 3MM TOC 53 from Tom at Wild Hare. I like the additional crank bearing over the DL and the actual Walbro carb over the factory carb the DL uses. Early runs of the DL had high needle blockage issues, that I believe have since been resolved. My 3MM has been mistaken for its brand-name counter part both in appearence as well as performance. It's got just about 2 gallons of 32:1 Pennzoil break-in through it, and I'll be switching over to 50:1 Bel-Ray MC-1 pretty soon. I am very pleased with torque throughout the throttle range, transition from low to high -even though it's still a little rich for break-in. I have mine in a 15.5 lb Extra 300 that rivals my bud's same plane powered by a DA 50 - definately gives a run for the money. I would advocate the engine, as well as buying it from Tom at Wild Hare for the service and guidance.
Flyinhigh is offline Find More Posts by Flyinhigh
Old 06-26-2007, 01:22 PM
tim
Find More Posts by tim
tim
Joined May 2006
128 Posts

Run 50:1 from the get go, at a slightly rich setting. No reason to run a 32:1 ratio for break in. After a couple heat cycles the ring should be seated. You dont have to run gallons and gallons of fuel thru two stroke gas motors to break them in. Raced two stroke karts(100cc McCullough & 100cc Yamaha) for 30 years. Fast idle for a half hour on the kart stand and then go race at 18,000 RPM at almost constant full throttle for up to 45 minutes straight. The motor will loosen up a little more with more run time, but its already "broken in". These guys that run 5 to 10 gallons of 32:1 on these motors don't know what they are doing.
tim is offline Find More Posts by tim
Old 06-26-2007, 01:32 PM
capetown,south africa
Joined Sep 2006
508 Posts

Thanks for experiences and help guys
Old 06-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Find More Posts by wildhare
Suspended Account
Texas
Joined Jul 2006
1,487 Posts

I tend to agree with Tim. I usually mix up a gallon or mabe 1 1/2 gallons at 32 to 10 with Pennzoil. I am pretty careful in the first full throttle run up to be sure it's not too lean, after that I just fly it. After 1 tank at 32-1 I will use anything that's about.

Long break-ins on a stand are not good, the engine's castings will make some adjustments in the molecular structure with heating/cooling cycles, which happen more often and more abruptly when flying.

Ideally I would do 1 tank at 32 to 1, with the first minute or so on the ground to be sure it's not too lean. Fly out the rest of that tank and go to 50-1.

I do not think synthetic oil is good for the first few tanks, I feel the rings seat better with mineral oil. Afetr that use what makes you feel good.

TF
wildhare is offline Find More Posts by wildhare
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 06-26-2007, 02:38 PM
capetown,south africa
Joined Sep 2006
508 Posts

By tank i take it you mean the tank in the plane or the tank of fuel that you mixed up

Sorry,this will be my first gasser so im new to this
Old 06-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by thewrap
I had it, but then I lost it.
Highland Village Texas
Joined Feb 2006
1,884 Posts

I flew mine for the first time this sunday on the nose of a Wild Hare 50cc Sukhoi. Man this engine pulls like no other. Within 10 flips it's already starting. And I only have maybe 2 tanks through it. It flies like it's on rails for the speed record. I can understand where someone might think that this engine is too good to be true. It is worth every penny and more. I think the sellers are getting cheaped out. But hey I'm not complaining.
thewrap is offline Find More Posts by thewrap
Old 06-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Highland Village Texas
Joined Feb 2006
1,884 Posts

BTW run it really rich through break in. Close to factory settings. And my fuel mixture is Lawnboy ashless at 40:1 I think.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:52 PM
capetown,south africa
Joined Sep 2006
508 Posts

Thanks,i saw your thread on your sukhoi,nice bird
Old 06-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by Flyinhigh
Joined Jan 2006
571 Posts

These guys that run 5 to 10 gallons of 32:1 on these motors don't know what they are doing.[/quote]

Kind of hard not to take offense at being called one of the guys who doesn't know what I'm doing, but after seeing you describe your background in two-strokes that rev to 18000 rpm, I'll forgive you. When's the last time you got one of your gas airplane engines to spin a prop at 18000 rpm? Seems to me like you may be comparing apples to light bulbs. Just visit the website for DA, 3W, BME, ZDZ, Fox, Zenoah, Brilleli, etc - the break-in durations are all a tad different (I'm betting due to differing ring hardness) but all begin with 32:1. Tom is surely diplomatic by offering to agree with you, Tim, but then describes the break-in to begin with 32:1. You can download the manual for 3MM if you Google it and it will suggest to begin with a natural 2 stroke oil at 32:1. Lawnboy is often advocated, but I find Pennzoil 2 stroke outdoor aircooled will leave less carbon - even though the first tank of Bel-Ray MC-1 at 50:1 will burn it all off.

This is like hearing people say they don't understand why anyone would jump from a perfectly good airplane: Only those who never have will make the statement.

Tim, I can tell by your assessment you've never enjoyed the pleasure of breaking in a 3W competition series twin. I'm on my fifth gallon of 32:1 and it still gets smoother and more powerful with each flight. I have known guys to start with 50:1 synthetic, and after five gtallons still have not bed the rings. A few tanks of 32:1 natural ....... and the engine wakes up.

I won't argue with you that I don't know how to properly develope an engine or its break-in process, but by God, I do know how to read the instructions and I'd bet anything that all those Porsche engineers who work for 3W know a little something.

Wanna race for pinks?

Just my $.02 - so take it for what it's worth. Nothing I wrote was original.
Flyinhigh is offline Find More Posts by Flyinhigh
Last edited by Flyinhigh; 06-26-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Highland Village Texas
Joined Feb 2006
1,884 Posts

Just out of curiosity what plane are you putting it on. This may help with an engine choice.

Quick Reply