logo
Old 08-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Find More Posts by BigAl
Do it inverted!!!
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Jan 2006
340 Posts
Discussion
Smart Fly Competition 12 Turbo Problems...

So I was flying my 42% Edge around and all of a sudden it dead-sticks. Now that i think about it my controls were also a little glitchy. What ended up happening it the regulator for the receiver failed and is now only sending 3.7 volts on both pigtails. The receiver un-bound causing it to fail-safe and shut the motor down. Has anyone else ever had issues with this board? I have just over 320 flights on it over the last 6 months on the same plane. Im running 9 DS8911HV servos, and JR DMSS with an 11 ch receiver. I called smart-fly and they told me to send it in which I will do tomorrow.

Thanks for the info!
BigAl is offline Find More Posts by BigAl
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Find More Posts by raron455
United States, TX, Waco
Joined Oct 2012
207 Posts
Let us know what smart fly says,, I am about to pull the trigger and buy one of these for my 40%er, Glad you didnt lose the plane!!
raron455 is offline Find More Posts by raron455
Old 08-12-2013, 11:12 PM
Find More Posts by nlebell
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Nov 2012
1,142 Posts
Subscribed
nlebell is offline Find More Posts by nlebell
Old 08-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
I'm going to move this to the smart fly support forum.
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 08-13-2013, 09:29 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Have not seen the unit yet. Will update you as soon as it gets here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
So I was flying my 42% Edge around and all of a sudden it dead-sticks. Now that i think about it my controls were also a little glitchy. What ended up happening it the regulator for the receiver failed and is now only sending 3.7 volts on both pigtails. The receiver un-bound causing it to fail-safe and shut the motor down. Has anyone else ever had issues with this board? I have just over 320 flights on it over the last 6 months on the same plane. Im running 9 DS8911HV servos, and JR DMSS with an 11 ch receiver. I called smart-fly and they told me to send it in which I will do tomorrow.

Thanks for the info!
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 08-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Find More Posts by BigAl
Do it inverted!!!
Joined Jan 2006
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrritchey View Post
Have not seen the unit yet. Will update you as soon as it gets here.
So I figured out the problem on the unit. There was nothing actually wrong with the smart-fly, i actually had a bad choke servo Hitec 5625 that was drawing to many amps off the reciever itself. The reason i had it plugged into the receiver is because its not an HV servo. I figured this out while i was taking the unit out of the airplane to send back in. That was the only servo plugged into the receiver, as soon as i unplugged the servo it stayed binded and didn't wig out and the voltage went immediately back to 5.1 volts. So to fix it i threw a 8911 on the choke servo as well and am now running it off the board. Anyways just wanted to let everyone know that smart-fly is the best, and this whole thing was my fault... Whoops lesson learned dont run any servos off the receiver!
Old 08-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Yes, this is very true. I have tried to highlight this every way I an in the manuals but it seems to happen again and again. PLEASE everyone, read the manuals. I don't want a valuable plane going into the ground because something was missed in the manual.

Quote:
So I figured out the problem on the unit. There was nothing actually wrong with the smart-fly, i actually had a bad choke servo Hitec 5625 that was drawing to many amps off the reciever itself. The reason i had it plugged into the receiver is because its not an HV servo. I figured this out while i was taking the unit out of the airplane to send back in. That was the only servo plugged into the receiver, as soon as i unplugged the servo it stayed binded and didn't wig out and the voltage went immediately back to 5.1 volts. So to fix it i threw a 8911 on the choke servo as well and am now running it off the board. Anyways just wanted to let everyone know that smart-fly is the best, and this whole thing was my fault... Whoops lesson learned dont run any servos off the receiver!
Site Sponsor
Old 08-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Also, I remember asking you on the phone if ANYTHING else was connected to the receiver like a servo and you said no. We could have fixed the issue right then. PLEASE everyone, when you call tech support I need to know all the details. I can usually get a problem solved on the phone. I have 11 years experience dealing with issues, I think I have seen just about everything.

Quote:
Site Sponsor
Old 08-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Find More Posts by BigAl
Do it inverted!!!
Joined Jan 2006
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrritchey View Post
Also, I remember asking you on the phone if ANYTHING else was connected to the receiver like a servo and you said no. We could have fixed the issue right then. PLEASE everyone, when you call tech support I need to know all the details. I can usually get a problem solved on the phone. I have 11 years experience dealing with issues, I think I have seen just about everything.
Yea i honestly didn't think i did until i really started looking into it. Anyways thanks for the advice and help!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
I did not mean to sound accusing or anything. Sometimes in the morning when I am answering a lot of posts and email I am more direct that I should be.

Quote:
Yea i honestly didn't think i did until i really started looking into it. Anyways thanks for the advice and help!
Site Sponsor

Quick Reply