Old 04-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Find More Posts by The Gardener
Metallized™
United States, NJ
Joined Oct 2006
581 Posts
Question
EQ-6 HV output mods

As the title calls. I own two full EQ6 sets at the moment and love them, however I have more and more HV servos coming in and plan to swap old 7955's in the two last planes I have on EQ to JR HV's. Using them on 6,5v makes no sense, but I would love to keep the Eq's in as they offer redundancy and is a substantial enough investement for me not willing to throw them out.

So the question of the matter is, there is a large reg with heatsink in the middle, I being not elecronic sawy enough (have built some busses etc, but am dumb at pcb designs) therefore ask- can the reg be substituted or thrown out with some lines connected to pass through full battery foltage to servo busses while maintaining regulated receiver input as well as redundancy?

Thanks,
Andrew
The Gardener is offline Find More Posts by The Gardener
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
JR DA 215 Flyer
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined Mar 2011
3,829 Posts
To keep things simple I would suggest switching over to the EQ10
Bill Vargas is offline Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
Old 04-08-2014, 02:50 PM
Metallized™
United States, NJ
Joined Oct 2006
581 Posts
That would not be smartest way to go if initial idea is to keep using my investment rather than scrapping it and replacing with something else. If that was an option, i'd not bother asking this So I'd be more than glad to get a constructive answer on weather that would be doable (which I assume it is) or not (Which then eventually put a large cross on 2 items I have and replace them with powersafe rec's or just get powerbox, which I must add I don't want to do in the first place).
Old 04-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Know God,no fear!
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Jun 2007
3,681 Posts
I would call Mr. Ritchie at Smart-fly and ask him. Who better to ask than the person who designed them?
Siko_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Old 04-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Metallized™
United States, NJ
Joined Oct 2006
581 Posts
That was the idea of making this thread- I live in a god forbidden country, we don't have phones here LoL, I am 8 hours a part from him so that is a PITA, also, if this info is shared publicly- all would benefit perhaps. So hopefully Robert will chime in then !
Old 04-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Find More Posts by Dan767
That's at least a 9
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Jan 2006
2,854 Posts
I believe that the Fromeco Wolverine switch will provide you the redundancy you want with out having to use you EQ6's. You can get the full voltage of the batteries to the servo ,
and torque from the servo you're looking for. Would that be possible where your located?
Dan767 is offline Find More Posts by Dan767
Old 04-09-2014, 12:49 AM
Metallized™
United States, NJ
Joined Oct 2006
581 Posts
I have the Wolverine installed actually, it connects to EQ 6 in my case. The reason I want to keep he EQ is because of it's ability to shut off servos if in a case of accident- one stalls- so the voltage would not drop and I would still have safe control of the model plus receiver always gets regulated and filtered voltage as well as I have nice opto ignition cutoff- that would be a shame to throw it all in a bin, considering it's 800$ worth of stuff here after taxes in EU. So I am willing to give it (modification) a try first, reg part is simple, my question is what happens to the other components if the reg is just bypassed.
Last edited by The Gardener; 04-09-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
I suppose you could bypass the regulator but you would have to unsolder the FETs from the board and solder in some kind of jumper. It would have to be a very low resistance, high-current jumper of some sort. The receiver would still be regulated. This is a non-trivial modification. I am guessing you do not fly precision since you are willing to go unregulated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gardener View Post
As the title calls. I own two full EQ6 sets at the moment and love them, however I have more and more HV servos coming in and plan to swap old 7955's in the two last planes I have on EQ to JR HV's. Using them on 6,5v makes no sense, but I would love to keep the Eq's in as they offer redundancy and is a substantial enough investement for me not willing to throw them out.

So the question of the matter is, there is a large reg with heatsink in the middle, I being not elecronic sawy enough (have built some busses etc, but am dumb at pcb designs) therefore ask- can the reg be substituted or thrown out with some lines connected to pass through full battery foltage to servo busses while maintaining regulated receiver input as well as redundancy?

Thanks,
Andrew
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 04-09-2014, 10:47 AM
Metallized™
United States, NJ
Joined Oct 2006
581 Posts
I don't fly precision indeed, not with GS, so for IMAC guys I'm just another stick banger

Back on the mod side of things, are you referring to the big large one- just wire patch from one leg to another? Perhaps you could take a photo and just draw lines which must be patched after part removal?

Much appreciated,

Andrew
Old 04-10-2014, 10:16 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
After thinking about this there are a couple ways. If you are going to do this yourself I cannot guarantee anything. If you want to remove the FET then you have to take the heatsink and FET off the board. Jumper the leg that comes from the 2512 resistors to the output pad, back of the FET.
You are going to blow out the digital pot unless you remove it so you will not be able to go backwards. I could also short the gate of the FET to ground but again you will blow out the digital pot so no going back. Problem is when you blow out a part there is no guarantee it will not cause a parasitic drain or a short somewhere on the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gardener View Post
I don't fly precision indeed, not with GS, so for IMAC guys I'm just another stick banger

Back on the mod side of things, are you referring to the big large one- just wire patch from one leg to another? Perhaps you could take a photo and just draw lines which must be patched after part removal?

Much appreciated,

Andrew
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 04-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Metallized™
United States, NJ
Joined Oct 2006
581 Posts
Thanks for the input. Well, if this involves burning something to hell and also risks of unknown current drain- this is not worth doing then, out the Smartlies go , unfortunately. Already ordered 2X Powerbox Sparkswitches and am going 2x AR 8000 then.

Thanks again! I wish there would be a safer mod.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Still Draggin' 'Em
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts
BOSSIER_ROB is online now Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Last edited by BOSSIER_ROB; 08-23-2014 at 12:31 PM.

Quick Reply