logo
Old 01-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Find More Posts by Gutzy
Pin it! To win it!
United States, MN, St. Michael
Joined Sep 2011
339 Posts
Very nice build! Looks like your shop is sweet too.
Gutzy is offline Find More Posts by Gutzy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Looking great.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 01-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Canopy came out perfect it looks like.

Have you checked the weight so far? Mine is much lighter than I expected at this stage. By adding the advertised weight of all the additional components that I have yet to put in...I am looking at 33-34lbs...even if something ends up heavier than expected I should have no problem staying well under my target of 36lbs.

While I have been waiting I have been tossing around the idea of making the transition between the turtledeck and vertical stab more scale looking by shaping some foam and sheeting it with 1/16th balsa. The pilot edges are a good example of what I am talking about...the tails on those are perty. I just can't decide if it's worth the work or not...
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Old 01-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
I have not weighed it. I still have the engine in it from fitting the cowl, but I can toss it on a scale tomorrow to see. If you do that stab transition please take some pics. I'd like to try that sometime, but am not brave enough right now. I assume you mean like this one: http://www.pilot-rc.com/Upload/160226402.JPG
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 01-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Riley O'Brien
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Yes that is exactly what I am talking about...I will see what I can come up with in the next couple of days. If I find a method that works I will be sure to post what I did.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by cardenflyer
Council Bluffs, IA
Joined Jan 2006
1,376 Posts
What wheels do you plan on using? I was looking at ordering new ones for my 40%er since mine are about shot and I found out in the 4.5 inch the Skylites are about 2.5 ounces less than the dubros. Cut another ounce for 4 inch wheels.
cardenflyer is offline Find More Posts by cardenflyer
Old 01-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
I'm doing skylites. I was ordering some screws and hardware, so I ordered a set of these: http://www.jrhobbyhardware.com/shop/...products_id=22

They are very nice fit and finish, but the tire is a little more squishy than the skylites. I hang my airplanes so it will not be a problem with flat spots. I think they are more firm than the Dubro tires though.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Riley O'Brien
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
I have the aluminum hub skylites on my yak. I don't have any complaints about them. I will probably use them on the aerotech as well.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:21 AM
Find More Posts by cardenflyer
Council Bluffs, IA
Joined Jan 2006
1,376 Posts
I don't think I'll go aluminum. Not much more savings in weight. I have it firgured out for around 200 bones I'm going to shave some where between 28-32 ounces out of my Carden for next year. Pretty good diet.
cardenflyer is offline Find More Posts by cardenflyer
Old 01-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
I just got my new wings this morning and they are SWEET!!! I think the other ones just had the wire way too hot, these are like glass and perfectly straight LE and TE's.

Smooth enough to use 30NF, but I was considering doing some lightening so I would use urethane......still undecided on that though.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Riley O'Brien
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscustom View Post
I just got my new wings this morning and they are SWEET!!! I think the other ones just had the wire way too hot, these are like glass and perfectly straight LE and TE's.

Smooth enough to use 30NF, but I was considering doing some lightening so I would use urethane......still undecided on that though.
That's great to hear!

You should core it out Swiss cheese style and use poly glue...I might try that on my next one.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
I thought about doing a CNC program to core them out, but the foam makes too much static and it's not worth the risk of zapping my machine. I'll have to research good ways to core them.

I put it on the scale, with the fuse basically done, just needing wings and stabs and with the DA100 installed it weighs 12lb. 4oz. Take away 5.8lb for engine and bare fuse and rudder weigh 6.5lbs. Seems pretty good to me, but I'm still a rookie at this.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Riley O'Brien
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
I thought about doing a CNC program to core them out, but the foam makes too much static and it's not worth the risk of zapping my machine. I'll have to research good ways to core them.

I put it on the scale, with the fuse basically done, just needing wings and stabs and with the DA100 installed it weighs 12lb. 4oz. Take away 5.8lb for engine and bare fuse and rudder weigh 6.5lbs. Seems pretty good to me, but I'm still a rookie at this.
Sounds like yours is going to very light as well

My completed airframe with cowl and aluminum landing gear was 17lbs...I have since added some texalium and a few other little things but it should be under 18 before covering, paint, and canopy glassing. I will probably put the cf landing gear on it to shave almost a pound.

Cnc would be a heck of a lot easier but I wouldn't want to risk damage to the machine either. I would probably go insane trying to cut it all out by hand with a hot knife but I think that is probably the safest route.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
I'm going to try to make some texalium plate tomorrow, first try was a crash and burn. I was thinking about applying it to 1/16" basswood, what are your thoughts on that?? Either that, or lay it up face down on a pc. of waxed glass and build it up with fiberglass backers to get some thickness, but I thought the ply would be lighter and more rigid when done.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Riley O'Brien
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
I'm going to try to make some texalium plate tomorrow, first try was a crash and burn. I was thinking about applying it to 1/16" basswood, what are your thoughts on that?? Either that, or lay it up face down on a pc. of waxed glass and build it up with fiberglass backers to get some thickness, but I thought the ply would be lighter and more rigid when done.
I have only used it on top of ply...I am sure it would add a good bit of strength to the basswood. I am curious how many plies it would take to match the strength of a single layer of it on wood. I am not familiar enough with the material to know if it would be stronger and lighter but I would assume it would be.

Quick Reply