Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-23-2015, 01:57 AM
Find More Posts by ccmhockey08
United States, OH, Centerville
Joined Feb 2007
7 Posts
So, I have a question about my throttle linkage. The engine came with this (what appears to be cast iron) throttle horn. Has anyone used this before? It only comes with a set screw from the side. There is no flat spot on the throttle control for this to key into. I obviously wanna put a screw in from the top to hold it on, but I am not real confident in a small set screw, latching on to a round rod to hold up for my throttle control. Has anyone used this before? I dont want it to slip.
ccmhockey08 is offline Find More Posts by ccmhockey08
Old 10-23-2015, 02:07 AM
Joined Feb 2007
7 Posts
So, I have a question about my throttle linkage. The engine came with this (what appears to be cast iron) throttle horn. Has anyone used this before? It only comes with a set screw from the side. There is no flat spot on the throttle control for this to key into. I obviously wanna put a screw in from the top to hold it on, but I am not real confident in a small set screw, latching on to a round rod to hold up for my throttle control. Has anyone used this before?
Old 10-23-2015, 06:24 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,564 Posts
It is OK to file a flat on the shaft for that set screw. As long as you adjust your throttle servo to never hit the stops at either end (you did remove that stop idle screw, correct?), you will be fine with that cast aluminum arm.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 11-03-2015, 08:57 AM
Find More Posts by jharkin
2 wings are better than 1
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
IMO the 1258 are not enough for the ailerons. I would use the 1256's all around if you gotta save the money. But why not just go $24 more per servo and get the 1270's
360oz on the ailerons of a 30cc????? I still go old school and only run that torque on the rudder of my 50cc. have 180 on the ailerons and never even the slights amount of blow back. 15 years ago people flew planes this size on 100oz analogs and it worked fine.

This is the problem with the "look at what the other guy picked and add 50%" rule. Its like a game of telephone, been going on in the hobby for years and things are just getting ridiculous.
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin
Old 11-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,564 Posts
Personally, I had severe blowback on my EF 91 Extra with a single 7955 on each aileron, on 2S lipo. They test out to 280-330 depending the voltage.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 11-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Find More Posts by jharkin
2 wings are better than 1
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
Personally, I had severe blowback on my EF 91 Extra with a single 7955 on each aileron, on 2S lipo. They test out to 280-330 depending the voltage.
Interesting. When I built my 50cc the HS5945/HS5955 on 6v regulated LiIon was "the setup" and I never did much to it other than swap out the 5955 for a 7955 and upgrade to unregulated Life. Still works fine so I dont mess with it.

Been running futaba BLS on my helis recently however which have made me again notice the slop in the old 5945s... maybe time to see whats advanced in servo world. Better centering and precision would be nice but I dont think I need any more torque, its an old 50cc airframe with much smaller control seurfaces than the ridiculous sizes they put on 90 inch planes these days.

----

Sorry for the thread jack - back to the OP topic...
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin
Old 11-04-2015, 01:37 AM
Joined Feb 2007
7 Posts
I ended up going way overkill with my servos... I went with Savox 1272's (.10 sec and 416 oz) for all of the control surfaces and a 1273 for my throttle. They are gonna run on an unregulated LiPo. I did this for a couple of reasons. I am always a fan of the idea that you can never have too much servo. Plus I know I am gonna want to go to a bigger plane some day (I am already trying to figure out a trailer option). And....it is always nice to have a discount at the hobby shop where I used to work!
Old 11-04-2015, 01:46 AM
Joined Feb 2007
7 Posts
Plus, the servos I originally wanted to order were back ordered at HRP when I went to order servos..... I became a victim of my own impatience! I know there is no need to use servos this powerful for a 30cc plane. But the 100cc plane I am dreaming of could use them!!!!
Old 11-04-2015, 11:34 AM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
Way to plan ahead!
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy

Quick Reply