logo
Old 06-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Find More Posts by jwilliams
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,822 Posts
That Sabre is awesome, but I would hate to be the one footin the fuel bill. What does it burn an hour?
Thx
Jeff
jwilliams is offline Find More Posts by jwilliams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-18-2013, 12:01 AM
njs
Find More Posts by njs
njs
Flyin' Around
United States, MT, Belgrade
Joined Jul 2013
1 Posts
I just ran across this forum today and had to join. I live in Belgrade and grew up at the end of this airport and I mean literally at the end of the run way (my parents still live there and I also still live here) and I look at those f100's all the time. I have friends that talked about this plane and I never really knew much about it. I'm also in the RC hobby and I truly enjoy the sport and people. From the photos, it is a beautiful plane and the story is fantastic. I hope I get the chance to see it.
njs is offline Find More Posts by njs
Old 09-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Find More Posts by dangerboy
Prop Bender Extraordinaire
United States, AR, Bentonville
Joined Mar 2006
129 Posts
Ok, Reno is over, the fall harvest is over, I've got a break from flying the 7X, and things are quiet at my airport now that our annual fly-in is over. Time to get back to work on the Sabre.

But first...a pic of my "Reno shirt". I only wear this one time a year...and that is at the air races.

We tried a couple of "easy fixes" with the fuel controller to see if it was something simple...alas it was not to be. After trying said fixes, we ran it and I didn't even get out of the chocks with it...the leak was still there. We got on the phone with our friends at S&S Turbines up in Ft. St. John, and they are looking forward to receiving our fuel controller for service. If you want to see come cool vids, jump on YouTube and look up user AgentJayZ. These guys are the Orenda gurus. They're telling us they can turn it in 10 days from reception, so we're trying to get it to them this week. We don't have many more days of snow-free weather left here in MT!

The tail is off, and we are either going to send them the one off the motor or, depending on whether we can find it, the one sitting on an Orenda-14 engine core we have sitting in one of about 15 engine cans in our storage area...somewhere.

Pics of pulling the tail:

Getting the tail dolly in position:

That double row of rivets is where the rear dolly pad needs to be in order for both pads to be on empennage ribs:

These are two of the three pins holding the tail pipe in position:

Some of the electrical cannon plugs that needed to be disconnected prior to pulling the tail:

Hydraulic quick disconnects and radio antenna cable connection:

There are three cables per side that connect to the rudder as well as the horizontal stab/elevator actuators that have quick disconnects as well:

Starting to split the fuselage:

You can see where the two bolts connecting the right side are. Only 4 bolts TOTAL connect the entire back end of the aircraft to the front:

Sliding the tail back was kinda like watching some hot chick slowly hike up her skirt...

...and then finding out the chick was a dude!

Tail is off:

From the front:

From the back:

The hoist is in place and secured to the engine:

We're hoping the engine removal goes as easily as the tail removal did. We're planning on pulling nozzles and igniters while things are apart to make sure all is well.

Until next time...
dangerboy is offline Find More Posts by dangerboy
Last edited by dangerboy; 09-29-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Joined Mar 2006
129 Posts
On an unrelated-but-still-really-cool note, my 3 yr. old nephew Trey has hit a major milestone in any man's life...he has managed to stay dry both day and night for a month straight!!

I promised him when this odyssey began that I would take him flying if he could do it, so here are some pics from Trey's first airplane ride:

Last edited by dangerboy; 09-29-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:53 PM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
5,152 Posts
Attaboy Trey! Continuous dryness is way cool and hanging in the right seat is
even cooler! Make sure you log your time!
WT
WangoTango is offline Find More Posts by WangoTango
Old 09-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by Pistolera
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2006
4,242 Posts
Just coolness all the way around. Interesting pics of the tail coming off....and the FOUR bolts that transfer all the flight loads from the tail to the rest of the fuse . I'm always amazed at what 4 bolts can do when the structure is properly engineered !!!
Pistolera is offline Find More Posts by Pistolera
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 09-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by qmulus
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitatio
Arvada, CO
Joined Sep 2007
523 Posts
BEST THREAD EVER!!! Thanks for sharing this with us!
qmulus is offline Find More Posts by qmulus
Old 10-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by Park_Aviator
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2012
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmulus View Post
BEST THREAD EVER!!! Thanks for sharing this with us!
Amen
Park_Aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_Aviator
Old 10-03-2013, 01:32 AM
Find More Posts by craig77
UK
Joined Jul 2006
837 Posts
very cool!! keep us updated with the turbine repair!
craig77 is offline Find More Posts by craig77
Old 10-05-2013, 05:59 AM
Joined Mar 2006
129 Posts
The Orenda-14 came out yesterday, and the fuel controller is packaged and on its way to S & S Turbines.

Sorry for the blurry pic. I was the forklift driver and had to take this shot in a hurry.

Engine completely separated from the forward fuselage:

Looking forward into the intake from the rear of the forward fuselage:

The offending party:
Old 10-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Mar 2006
129 Posts
While the engine is out, we figured it'd be a good opportunity to pull the fuel nozzles and igniters clean 'em up a bit. Not a job that can be done without having the motor removed.

Here is a pic of the nozzles hanging out in a heated ultrasonic cleaner, orifice end down.

A close up shot of what one of the fuel nozzles look like:

I tried to get a decent shot of the swirler apparatus inside one of the burner cans, here is the best shot I could get, sorry for the blurriness. The nozzle protrudes through the center when installed.

Here is an unrelated but good shot of the inlet guide vanes as well as the compressor fan blades. Unlike a lot of other engines, the guide vanes in an Orenda are fixed, not variable pitch.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by mbacosa
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined May 2008
2,094 Posts
This has to be the coolest thread on FG...period. Thanks for all the pictures.
mbacosa is online now Find More Posts by mbacosa
Old 10-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Find More Posts by Ken-H
Center Punch it!
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Mar 2006
1,236 Posts
Wow! Can't believe I am just seeing this thread. I am at the airport almost every two weeks.
Ken-H is offline Find More Posts by Ken-H
Old 10-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by jetmex
Jetmex Texas Desert Rat
Joined Oct 2013
1 Posts
I literally ran across this by accident and had to join to thow in my two cents. I worked on the T-Bird N305FS (and a few others) when I was with Flight Systems back in the early 80's. We were based at Holloman AFB, New Mexico. The T-Birds were used as chase planes for the QF-86 drone program that was going on at the time. I was based at our facility in El Paso, TX, and went TDY to Holloman any time someone called in sick or was on vacation.

Lots of memories came back when I saw those pictures. N86FS, if I remember correctly, was the company president's personal airplane, and at one time was set up to tow target darts. 305FS gave me a JP-4 shower one afternoon when I forgot to vent the tip tanks before pulling the wing fuel caps. Never did that again! I remember the recurrent lecture about keeping the yaw string out of the nose access doors, too. I still have my FSI T-33 preflight checklist in my tool box...

You're doing a beautiful job on the Sabre. Keep up the good work!
jetmex is offline Find More Posts by jetmex
Old 10-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Find More Posts by huckster98
Joined Jan 2012
13 Posts
This is a really great thread! Hope all goes well!
huckster98 is offline Find More Posts by huckster98

Quick Reply