logo
This thread is privately moderated by mtndewdewd, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
IMAC Wannabe
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Discussion
2013 IMAC Season (part 15) - Plane Mod's #3

Ok. I think this is turning into a "How Not To" series for IMAC.

So, basically I took a great flying airplane and wrecked it and have taken 3 weeks to get it back to where it was - is that smart?? Hopefully it is, becuase it still needs more trimming and it is flying as good if not a little better than it was before. Hopefully as I continue the "tweaking" over the next few weeks it will be much better than it was before I started messing with it.

At this point, the major change was moving to a new radio (DX18QQ), moving the CG back quite a bit, changing the engine right thrust and re-configuring the control throw (neutral/travel/etc). Seems to fly smoother than before, but still has a little flat turn coupling I need to do to get it perfect. I still think I need to move the CG back some more and re-trim. On a 45 upline it starts to fall off after about 1/2 second, but very gently... but when flying across the box inverted - to maintain level/inverted flight I am having to hold constant down elevator of about 1/2 stick. Seems a bit much.

So, to continue the "how not to" - At this point - all convential wisdom and advice from those doing this for many many years tells you to start BURNING GAS and PRACTICE and learn the plane. So, what do I plan to do... just the opposite Seems everytime I get a plane just where i want it and it's time to really start getting good with it - I sell it. Well, I am not selling this plane, but I did buy a new plane. So, I picked up Wayne Geffon's old Extra 300 126" "Dean built" (FixedWing). Although my current plane is flying well and holding together - it is over 5 years old and was wrung out pretty good by the master Frank Noll. No signs of failure anywhere, but I'd rather take it easy on her as much as I can. She will become my freestyle/backup plane. My freestyle is soo lame it will get stressed less than it does doing a Sportsman Known sequence

I think with this new plane, and getting it setup - I will be ready to roll for some time. Will have 2 super nice planes to make sure I can make it through all the contests with a well flying plane. I am anxious to see what this new plane (39-40lbs w/ da-200) can do.

Oh yeah, and to make sure I really "do the wrong thing" I am planning the jump to Futaba RX/TX combo.

So - to sum this all up... I took 2nd place (very close 2nd place) in the last contest and within 3 months of that I will have a 2 new radios and 1 new plane from what was obviously working well. HOWEVER - What I am hoping - is that by the Strausberg (CO) event the new plane/radio will be trimmed and doing great and by the Tucson Shootout I will be proficient at flying it and flying well above where I was at the Cactus where I placed 2nd. Only time will tell....

Stay Tuned!!
mtndewdewd is offline Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Find More Posts by mbacosa
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined May 2008
2,094 Posts
Oh boy.........
mbacosa is offline Find More Posts by mbacosa
Old 04-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Find More Posts by jseven27
2014 IMAC SW Sportsman champ.
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Feb 2007
325 Posts
Hello!!
jseven27 is offline Find More Posts by jseven27
Old 04-30-2013, 09:18 PM
IMAC Wannabe
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...VOSYlOv0#t=16s
Last edited by mtndewdewd; 05-01-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Find More Posts by BMACK991
Joined Aug 2011
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbacosa View Post
Oh boy.........
BMACK991 is offline Find More Posts by BMACK991
Old 05-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by bemeson
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2007
1,257 Posts
Be prepared for wind at the Strausberg Event. The runway runs east and west and the wind normally blows threw from the Southwest. That time of year it blows like heck in the afternoon, so if you get an early draw you will be lucky. That is quite the drive from Arizona. Good luck and I will see you there.

Brian
bemeson is offline Find More Posts by bemeson
Old 05-01-2013, 12:11 PM
IMAC Wannabe
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemeson View Post
Be prepared for wind at the Strausberg Event. The runway runs east and west and the wind normally blows threw from the Southwest. That time of year it blows like heck in the afternoon, so if you get an early draw you will be lucky. That is quite the drive from Arizona. Good luck and I will see you there.

Brian
Should be fun. Hope to have 5 or more head up from AZ for this one.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Find More Posts by bemeson
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2007
1,257 Posts
The guys at this field are great as this is my home field....aka Mile High. If you have any questions send me a PM. The field is on a farmers property. The run way is around 600 feet long and around 50 feet wide. The run way is made from the goetext fabric. It is out in the boonies around 25 miles from anything useful.

Brian
bemeson is offline Find More Posts by bemeson

Quick Reply