Old 12-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Find More Posts by walkerk122
Ankeny, IA
Joined Jan 2006
753 Posts
Re: Ultra Light 55% Extra 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcquinn View Post
So do you have 16 pounds of foam now and with the lighter weight foam you will only have 12 pounds? That's the ratio of heavy foam to light foam (16/12 = 1 /.75)

My "knowledge" of foam is based on what I've been told by suppliers. What we call 1 lb and 0.75 lb, "The Industry" calls this 1 lb and 1lb Minus. I've been told that "1 lb" typically weights in the 1.2 to 1.35 lb/cf range and "1 lb Minus" weighs in the 0.6 to 0.8 lbs/cf range....I have no idea what happens to the stuff that's between .8 lbs/cf and 1.2 lbs/cf....may it's just called "Foam"

It's been awhile since I ran the calcs but if memory serves me there is about 2 cubic feet of foam per wing panel. Assuming an average in each range that represents 2.3 lbs in the wings alone.

Bob Mellen of Flying Foam just picked up the first order of foam for these today. He'll be cutting me a complete kit in the next couple days and we'll know for sure how much weight it saved.
walkerk122 is offline Find More Posts by walkerk122
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Find More Posts by sensei
Super Weight Freak
San Antonio Texas
Joined Nov 2006
3,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerk122 View Post
My "knowledge" of foam is based on what I've been told by suppliers. What we call 1 lb and 0.75 lb, "The Industry" calls this 1 lb and 1lb Minus. I've been told that "1 lb" typically weights in the 1.2 to 1.35 lb/cf range and "1 lb Minus" weighs in the 0.6 to 0.8 lbs/cf range....I have no idea what happens to the stuff that's between .8 lbs/cf and 1.2 lbs/cf....may it's just called "Foam"

It's been awhile since I ran the calcs but if memory serves me there is about 2 cubic feet of foam per wing panel. Assuming an average in each range that represents 2.3 lbs in the wings alone.

Bob Mellen of Flying Foam just picked up the first order of foam for these today. He'll be cutting me a complete kit in the next couple days and we'll know for sure how much weight it saved.
I have the info at the house, but I am think the wing cores came in at 2.6 lbs. each before the lightening process.

Bob
sensei is offline Find More Posts by sensei
Old 12-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Super Weight Freak
San Antonio Texas
Joined Nov 2006
3,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcquinn View Post
So do you have 16 pounds of foam now and with the lighter weight foam you will only have 12 pounds? That's the ratio of heavy foam to light foam (16/12 = 1 /.75)
I do not know what all the foam weighs at this point, but when we picked it up from Bob, it was alot of weight indeed.

Bob
Old 12-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Find More Posts by Fixed Wing
Horse Power Saves Planes!
Magnolia, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
2,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
I do not know what all the foam weighs at this point, but when we picked it up from Bob, it was alot of weight indeed.

Bob
Just as a reference point, all foam on my most recent Carden 126" weighed 52.9 ounces or 3.3 pounds. Each wing core was in the 18 ounce range. Granted this is quite a bit smaller plane but this number includes cores for both wings, stabs, fin, hatch, belly pan, turtle deck, etc. I'm not sure how even with one pound foam you'd get close to the 16 pounds previously mentioned by someone else. Just my opinion...
Fixed Wing is offline Find More Posts by Fixed Wing
Old 12-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by Bam Bam
Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2007
3,383 Posts

Hey Bob/aerotech, can you let us know if anyone's making wing and stab bags for this little one?
would need some too, as will others.

Any more pics Bob to keep us high?
Interested in where your placing all the running gear in this.
Bam Bam is offline Find More Posts by Bam Bam
Old 12-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Find More Posts by zoomer260
Louisville,KY
Joined Jun 2006
3,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed Wing View Post
Just as a reference point, all foam on my most recent Carden 126" weighed 52.9 ounces or 3.3 pounds. Each wing core was in the 18 ounce range. Granted this is quite a bit smaller plane but this number includes cores for both wings, stabs, fin, hatch, belly pan, turtle deck, etc. I'm not sure how even with one pound foam you'd get close to the 16 pounds previously mentioned by someone else. Just my opinion...

Just by "eyeball" calculations seems to me a 55% could easily have double/triple the volume of foam. If not more.

I know the fuse of my 33% versus my 30% has about double the volume.
zoomer260 is offline Find More Posts by zoomer260
Last edited by zoomer260; 12-08-2009 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Sp.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Super Weight Freak
San Antonio Texas
Joined Nov 2006
3,715 Posts

When these get big, the volume does go up fast.

I have been working on stuffing all the servos, linkages, and control horns. I may be able to get started on preparing everything for covering next week.

Bob
Old 12-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by gapple12
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei View Post

I may be able to get started on preparing everything for covering next week.

Bob

gapple12 is offline Find More Posts by gapple12
Old 12-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2007
3,383 Posts

DO IT! DO IT! cant you take a week off work or something Bob?
Old 12-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Find More Posts by MikeC3D
Suspended Account
SanAntonio,TX
Joined Jun 2006
3,389 Posts

Man....all this technical mumbo jumbo is making my head hurt, can we just cover it and fly the damn thing....lol

MikeC3D is offline Find More Posts by MikeC3D
Old 12-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2007
3,383 Posts

Mike, your just a lucky bugger being able to see Bob's work and have him lighten ur planes for you!
The rest of us need the technical mumbo, to try really hard to recreate Bob's work while making a big mess of it!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
3,095 Posts

Hi Bob, As always you have done your homework! I guess I am still leery of contact adhesive.. I still have flashbacks of inflight failure on a quickie years ago w/contact adhesive.. Take care!! Hope this cold spell doesn't make it down there, It is 3F right now up here.. Worst thing is we don't have enough snow to snowmobile yet either...Take care! Mike
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 12-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Find More Posts by greg e
Team No Flow Research
San Antonio TX
Joined Dec 2008
953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post
Mike, your just a lucky bugger being able to see Bob's work and have him lighten ur planes for you!
The rest of us need the technical mumbo, to try really hard to recreate Bob's work while making a big mess of it!!!

Bam it is nice to drive a few miles to go see what he is doing in his garage. It's even better when Bob helps a lot of us out with our planes and such. But you can't go wrong learning what Bob has to teach. I wish I could remember 1/3 of what he has forgotton over the years lol.
greg e is offline Find More Posts by greg e
Old 12-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Super Weight Freak
San Antonio Texas
Joined Nov 2006
3,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post
DO IT! DO IT! cant you take a week off work or something Bob?
I wish I could take some time off buddy, but right now we have over 400 aerospace jobs going, and I am involved in all of them in one way or another, so you know what they say: No rest for the wicked. LOL

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2walla View Post
Hi Bob, As always you have done your homework! I guess I am still leery of contact adhesive.. I still have flashbacks of inflight failure on a quickie years ago w/contact adhesive.. Take care!! Hope this cold spell doesn't make it down there, It is 3F right now up here.. Worst thing is we don't have enough snow to snowmobile yet either...Take care! Mike
Oh I remember those days too my old friend, but we sure had some fun together back in the old days flying at the lake all those years ago.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg e View Post
Bam it is nice to drive a few miles to go see what he is doing in his garage. It's even better when Bob helps a lot of us out with our planes and such. But you can't go wrong learning what Bob has to teach. I wish I could remember 1/3 of what he has forgotton over the years lol.
Thanks Greg, but I am always happy to help anyone that needs a helping hand.

Bob
Old 12-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Find More Posts by zbra54
Converse Tx.
Joined Aug 2008
33 Posts

Thanks Greg, but I am always happy to help anyone that needs a helping hand.

Bob[/quote]

Great!!!!! Will you build me one of these????
zbra54 is offline Find More Posts by zbra54

Quick Reply