Old 08-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Find More Posts by CEThomas
My life needs editing.
United States, OH, Amanda
Joined Apr 2008
2,889 Posts
Discussion
Vinyl Express R-Series vinyl Cutter

Anyone using the Vinyl Express R-Series vinyl Cutter? Been wanting a cutter so I can do my own graphics when I need some and seen one at a good price.
CEThomas is offline Find More Posts by CEThomas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Find More Posts by all big scale
Account Closed
United States, LA, Haughton
Joined Jan 2012
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEThomas View Post
Anyone using the Vinyl Express R-Series vinyl Cutter? Been wanting a cutter so I can do my own graphics when I need some and seen one at a good price.
its an ok cutter but if you want to cut custume stuff you'l need thier pro cutter software which is around 450- plus you half to have a program that will vectorize the images so that the cutter will cut the actual lines.. just becareful what you buy i spent close to 3 grand for my new one .. i had the cutter exspress r series but sold it two months later and bought my current one
all big scale is offline Find More Posts by all big scale
Old 08-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Find More Posts by Rick Sowell
Hoquiam,Wa. USA
Joined Jan 2006
355 Posts
Get the QE60+ it is a Graphtec cutter with their name on it. get a cutter package with software and you will be ready to go.
Rick Sowell is offline Find More Posts by Rick Sowell
Old 08-21-2012, 08:06 AM
My life needs editing.
Joined Apr 2008
2,889 Posts
Thanks,

Knew it was to good to be true at $300 Looks like will have to stay with no graphics
Old 08-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Find More Posts by plane
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,424 Posts
I love my R-Series cutter. I use Inkscape and SignBlazer software. Free software but you'll have to put some time in to learn it.

I also cut all of my covering on it too. Monokote and Ultracote.

Since I'm not production shop it works perfect. If I was in the business I'd go for a Graphtec cutter.
plane is offline Find More Posts by plane
Old 08-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by mattmus4357
Flyin' Around
United States, AR, Springdale
Joined Mar 2009
3 Posts
I owned the R-series cutter for about a year. I too used Inkscape to do my designing, then you can import the design into the free software inlcuded with the cutter. It had a few minor flaws, but then again I knew that when I bought it.

I say go for it, its an affordable way to cut graphics. I don't think you'll regret it. You can even make some decals for friends to make a little extra $$
mattmus4357 is offline Find More Posts by mattmus4357
Old 09-03-2012, 10:17 AM
My life needs editing.
Joined Apr 2008
2,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmus4357 View Post
I owned the R-series cutter for about a year. I too used Inkscape to do my designing, then you can import the design into the free software inlcuded with the cutter. It had a few minor flaws, but then again I knew that when I bought it.

I say go for it, its an affordable way to cut graphics. I don't think you'll regret it. You can even make some decals for friends to make a little extra $$
Thanks,

Right now it's between the R-series and a US Cutters laser point II.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Find More Posts by Jaybird
Jay Florida
Joined Jan 2006
3,713 Posts
Sub. Thinking about picking up a cutter also....
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Old 09-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Find More Posts by plane
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,424 Posts
For any of you guys sitting on the fence I'd like you to see my latest project. It's a nice big fat 126" Carden 260 that has now moved to the covering stage. The fuse bottom and sides have been covered in base coat white in Monokote. The challenge begins with the turtle deck. That's when I turn to my cheapy R-31.

It comes with a plotting pen so you can draw out your designs before actually committing your expensive covering (Ultra or Mono).

In these couple of photos you can see how the paper fits perfectly over the turtle deck wrapping itself around the vertical fin. It took me two tries to get where it is, but I still need to nudge some nodes to get the fin perfect.

Once this is done I have the perfect planform of the turtle deck. Since I have to put a contrasting color over the white I'll either windex, or I think the way I'll go is cut away the white mono underneath. Either way works.

Learn Inkscape (you only need to learn about 1% of its capabilites). Get SignBlazer to make the actual link to the R Series (use the Redsail drivers).

Never again have to use TEMPLATES! Use your computer.

BTW, I've done three 40%+ planes on the original blade cutting Ultra,Mono, and lots of vinyl. Yeh, time to change it. You can get blades off of EBay for 10 bucks for three last time I checked.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:37 PM
mdm
Find More Posts by mdm
mdm
Joined Jul 2011
73 Posts
I have a cutter for sale with tons of vinyl if anyone is interested it's a vinyl express bobcat I think it's like new I just have no time to use it
mdm is offline Find More Posts by mdm
Old 09-07-2012, 07:11 AM
My life needs editing.
Joined Apr 2008
2,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
I have a cutter for sale with tons of vinyl if anyone is interested it's a vinyl express bobcat I think it's like new I just have no time to use it

PM me with details and a price. May be interested.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:12 AM
My life needs editing.
Joined Apr 2008
2,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
For any of you guys sitting on the fence I'd like you to see my latest project. It's a nice big fat 126" Carden 260 that has now moved to the covering stage. The fuse bottom and sides have been covered in base coat white in Monokote. The challenge begins with the turtle deck. That's when I turn to my cheapy R-31.

It comes with a plotting pen so you can draw out your designs before actually committing your expensive covering (Ultra or Mono).

In these couple of photos you can see how the paper fits perfectly over the turtle deck wrapping itself around the vertical fin. It took me two tries to get where it is, but I still need to nudge some nodes to get the fin perfect.

Once this is done I have the perfect planform of the turtle deck. Since I have to put a contrasting color over the white I'll either windex, or I think the way I'll go is cut away the white mono underneath. Either way works.

Learn Inkscape (you only need to learn about 1% of its capabilites). Get SignBlazer to make the actual link to the R Series (use the Redsail drivers).

Never again have to use TEMPLATES! Use your computer.

BTW, I've done three 40%+ planes on the original blade cutting Ultra,Mono, and lots of vinyl. Yeh, time to change it. You can get blades off of EBay for 10 bucks for three last time I checked.

That is cool. We are going to get one. My son and I are going in together and it will be our Christmas this year
Old 09-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by lakerider8
Fast Planes,Sleds,and Boats.
Clinton,Iowa
Joined Dec 2009
1,222 Posts
I bought the R31 Vinyl Express package and have had very good luck with it cutting vinyl only SO FAR... I do the designs in Inkscape and transer them to the cheap program that came with the cutter,works fine. I have also found a few graphics websites that will download files directly into the cutters software,which works great. I'm just doing my own stuff and a few projects for friends ,so it isn't used a lot. Sure is great to have one ready when I need graphics for a project. Sure wish I understood what all Inkscape will do. I haven't taken time to play with the program much.
lakerider8 is offline Find More Posts by lakerider8
Old 04-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Find More Posts by plane
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,424 Posts
Long time no post on this thread. Got a great tip for you guys that have this cutter. Or any cutter for that matter that can handle the width of Monokote. Which brings up the reason I'm posting.

Monokote and vinyl cutters don't exactly sing together. Biggest problem is cutting large pieces and the second problem is the tracking marks that the pinch rollers leave.

I have a solution to both of those problems. The flimsy backing on Monokote won't allow you to cut big pieces because of the small differences in tracking on each pinch roller. To get even a hopefully good cut you'll need to sit there and pull the Monokote through the cutter as it cuts and even at that theres a good chance it'll screw up.

So in a nutshell you need a better substrate. You can buy this cheap stuff at Home Depot. I have no idea what its called but its like the brown paper bag type of material but much thicker. My roll is exactly 27 3/4" wide so its a perfect fit for Monkotes 25 1/2 width.

All you have to do is tape down the Monokote over the thick paper the full length of the sides of the mono. Make sure you get the brown paper flat as possible on a large table with masking tape. Handle the newly taped mono carefully so as not to wrinkle it as you roll it back up. Make the roll BIG is all I can say.

Now for the pictures of my recover from UltraSh#t to Monokote. Yes Ultra has some uses I guess but not the DARK COLORS!!!!!!!!!! Nuff said there....

The piece has been Windexed down over the white on the final photo. I got so anxious I should have covered the fin in white first thats why the piece at the end isn't attached yet in case you're wondering. All works out in the end anyways.

Hope the post helps you guys with the Monokote cutting problems. I'll tell you this. With this method it's WAY easier to cut than Ultracote. Granted Ultra has the paper backing but the problem is the pinch rollers bust the bond from the Ultra. I haven't tried it yet but I'll bet this paper will fix that problem too.

OH...forgot to mention the other problem with Mono cutting. The pinch rollers leave the marks of the rollers into the covering! Huge problem. The backing paper solves that too. So you get a two for one.

Using Inkscape & Signblazer. Make sure you SELECT your object before exporting to SB. Don't leave it in NODE mode. Screws up SB and will double cut.

Last edited by plane; 04-30-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:48 AM
My life needs editing.
Joined Apr 2008
2,889 Posts
That is cool. Will have to try that when I recover the Cap next winter

Quick Reply