logo
Old 02-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Gettin better 1 crash@ a time!
Cody WY
Joined Apr 2009
1,890 Posts
Sounded great and looked to haul that Krill around nicely!
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-15-2013, 11:06 PM
Find More Posts by macboss
Ed
United States, OK, Broken Arrow
Joined Oct 2009
212 Posts
I contacted Dr. Vogelsang and he has not received any Valach motors or parts. Talked to AMR and they have no spare parts and commented that have had no communication with Valach. I'm talking to a friend with a machine shop about making exhaust flanges for me.

I'll use the engine but looks like I'm on my own as far as engine support.
macboss is offline Find More Posts by macboss
Old 02-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
Are you planning to run the flexible tubing into a canister, or just use the tubing alone? I've been considering one of these engines on a H9 Beast.
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old 02-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Ed
Joined Oct 2009
212 Posts
I'll be running the with just the pipes. I may put an elbow on the ends to direct the exhaust down. The 4 stroke is not very loud; compared to 2 stoke.

If I had it to do over: I would have bought the Koln 100 cc twin 4-stroke. Dr Vogelsang sells them and they have support.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
Aren't the Koln's about twice the price of a Moki? I'm considering a Moki, just because of the lack of support I hear about from the Valach dealers.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Ed
Joined Oct 2009
212 Posts
I think you are looking at similar pricing on any of the engines out of Europe. Moki multi cylinder radial does offer more bang for the buck from the "glamor" side. I wanted a 4-stroke but did not want to mess with 5-cylinders/10 valves. I like how Valach and Kolm had the valve lifting rods enclosed so they don't fall off like on Moke.
Last edited by macboss; 02-21-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Fix spelling
Old 02-22-2013, 07:01 AM
Find More Posts by Piper13
Longueuil Quebec Canada
Joined Jul 2006
87 Posts
Hello Guy's , AMR is the only dealer to have the Valach 120 in stock,near 20, they manufacture the straight header themselves , 2 inches long, because VALACH MOTORS do not supply this part anymore and leave it to the customers to do their own, as for parts, VALACH supply parts on request, ( one week ). AMR have their own mecanic full time.
Have a great day
Piper13 is offline Find More Posts by Piper13
Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Ed
Joined Oct 2009
212 Posts
I posted this same item on 3 RC WEB sites and have had no responses from any US owners of the 120 Valach.

AMR makes the headers using the flanges that come with each engine. They have no spare flanges and have no idea when they will get any. I was told that communication with Valach is poor to non-existant. I doubt the 1 week number, but: time will tell. Even sending an engine back to DA takes over a week.

I plan on using the engine is a World Models Super Cub to test it out before putting it into my Sopwith Pup (which probably will not be finished until the Fall.

Looking at the robust design of the engine, I'm not expecting problems. OK course, now you may ask "why did you buy it?" I should have researched more.

If I wanted a unique engine, I should have gone with the Koln. The 100cc twin would have been a good size for my plane and and easier fit as it is about 3/4" narrower than the Valach. Buy the Valach spins that 32" prop and it looks great on the front of a WW I warbird.

Just need to mount that baby and fly it like I stole it.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
I keep waffling back and forth... trying to decide between spending $2500 on either the Valach or Moki for a 100cc motor, and spending $300 more for a 160cc radial from Evolution. I don't have a specific plane yet, just trying to find a workable combination of plane and motor. I think in the end, for $300, I'll be a lot happier with the radial.... if the quality is anywhere as good as a Moki or Valach.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
Valach 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by macboss View Post
I posted this same item on 3 RC WEB sites and have had no responses from any US owners of the 120 Valach.

AMR makes the headers using the flanges that come with each engine. They have no spare flanges and have no idea when they will get any. I was told that communication with Valach is poor to non-existant. I doubt the 1 week number, but: time will tell. Even sending an engine back to DA takes over a week.

I plan on using the engine is a World Models Super Cub to test it out before putting it into my Sopwith Pup (which probably will not be finished until the Fall.

Looking at the robust design of the engine, I'm not expecting problems. OK course, now you may ask "why did you buy it?" I should have researched more.

If I wanted a unique engine, I should have gone with the Koln. The 100cc twin would have been a good size for my plane and and easier fit as it is about 3/4" narrower than the Valach. Buy the Valach spins that 32" prop and it looks great on the front of a WW I warbird.

Just need to mount that baby and fly it like I stole it.
Unfortunately I can't speak to the Valach 120 but I do have a contact in Canada that was flying that 58% Pitts with the Valach 210....I will pm you his email address so that you can get a hold of him to ask any questions you might have on Valach 4 strokes in general

Bill
Hinckley Bill is offline Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Old 02-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by bamdfisher
KRAZY KANUK
Canada, ON, Parry Sound District
Joined May 2011
1,053 Posts
Trevor told me that he loved the engine. When I asked him if he would recommend the 120 based on his experience with the 210 he gave me a resounding YES.

The engine sound was unbelievable at the the Flying Events that I saw him with this Plane and Motor combination. Sad he sold them both.
bamdfisher is offline Find More Posts by bamdfisher
Old 02-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by tbrum
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jul 2007
1,155 Posts
I owned the VM210 in a 58% EMHW Pitts for 1 solid season of flying (just sold it to Bill, 2 posts below).... all I can say is WOW!!

When I built the Pitts, I had a 3W220CS on KS1090's spinning a Fuchs 35x12 prop - performance was ballistic on the ~56lb plane. I then installed the VM210 and between the weight savings of the exhaust and 1L less fuel onboard the plane became a much more enjoyable plane to fly.

Performance seems equal to an old-version ZDZ210 - certainly no slouch, but not piped 3W220CS power. It will still pull out from a hover, but slowly.

BUT... sound is unmatched. And it really smokes!!!

I was using the Toni Clark 2-into-1 Pitts muffler and ran a Fiala 36x12 and 36x14 prop. Gobs of torque and good on fuel (14min on 1L with 1/3rd reserve at the end).

It has also been perfectly reliable - never a glitch or hick-up!!!

I've never seen or played with a VM120, but based on the 210 would highly recommend it!!

Here's a couple videos.....

VM210 with Fiala 36x12.wmv (7 min 0 sec)

58% Pitts powered by Valach 210 4 stroke (9 min 16 sec)

Cheers

Trevor
tbrum is offline Find More Posts by tbrum
Old 02-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrum View Post
I owned the VM210 in a 58% EMHW Pitts for 1 solid season of flying (just sold it to Bill, 2 posts below).... all I can say is WOW!!

When I built the Pitts, I had a 3W220CS on KS1090's spinning a Fuchs 35x12 prop - performance was ballistic on the ~56lb plane. I then installed the VM210 and between the weight savings of the exhaust and 1L less fuel onboard the plane became a much more enjoyable plane to fly.

Performance seems equal to an old-version ZDZ210 - certainly no slouch, but not piped 3W220CS power. It will still pull out from a hover, but slowly.

BUT... sound is unmatched. And it really smokes!!!

I was using the Toni Clark 2-into-1 Pitts muffler and ran a Fiala 36x12 and 36x14 prop. Gobs of torque and good on fuel (14min on 1L with 1/3rd reserve at the end).

It has also been perfectly reliable - never a glitch or hick-up!!!

I've never seen or played with a VM120, but based on the 210 would highly recommend it!!

Here's a couple videos.....

VM210 with Fiala 36x12.wmv - YouTube

58% Pitts powered by Valach 210 4 stroke - YouTube

Cheers

Trevor
Trevor,

Thanks for joining in on the discussion.............I truly look forward to flying the Pitts with the Valach 210 this season.

Bill
Old 02-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Find More Posts by tbrum
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jul 2007
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill View Post
Trevor,

Thanks for joining in on the discussion.............I truly look forward to flying the Pitts with the Valach 210 this season.

Bill
Bill - I must say - I really miss the plane/motor! It hit me pretty hard on the way home from our meeting spot last week. You're gonna love this combo - such a showplane and that motor has sound like no other.

For anyone thinking of a Valach, part of the key to that cool sound is the Toni Clark exhaust, but also the Fiala prop. I ran Fuchs and JC and Menz props at first... even with the same exhaust as the video Toni Clark has on their website (the Wedell-Williams / VM210), I couldn't get all of that sound. I went to the Fiala 36x12 and 36x14 and WOW... the full meal deal!!!

Cheers

Trevor
tbrum is offline Find More Posts by tbrum
Old 02-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrum View Post
Bill - I must say - I really miss the plane/motor! It hit me pretty hard on the way home from our meeting spot last week. You're gonna love this combo - such a showplane and that motor has sound like no other.

For anyone thinking of a Valach, part of the key to that cool sound is the Toni Clark exhaust, but also the Fiala prop. I ran Fuchs and JC and Menz props at first... even with the same exhaust as the video Toni Clark has on their website (the Wedell-Williams / VM210), I couldn't get all of that sound. I went to the Fiala 36x12 and 36x14 and WOW... the full meal deal!!!

Cheers

Trevor
Trevor,

I know that it'll be everything I expect and more.....

Flying it will probably force me to swap the ZDZ210 in my 50% Challenger II for a Valach 210 also.....

This way I can have a buddy fly one while I fly the other and have double the impact!

Bill

Quick Reply