logo
Old 06-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Find More Posts by super_nova
United States, SC, Rock Hill
Joined Jan 2007
175 Posts
Peak Models - Opinions/Experience Wanted

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to make the move to gas models. I've read a lot about them and different manufacturers, and I know the consensus is to buy the proven and quality brands. However, given the prices of Peak models, I just have to ask, are they worth looking at? Specifically, I want to get an airframe I can begin doing IMAC with (never flown any precision aerobatics before). I've gotten recommendations to just start out with a 35%er, but thats out of my price range for now, especially with shipping rates to Canada. So I'm going to go with a 30% setup. However, seeing the price of the 25% setups Peak Models offers, I'm wondering if I should just get my feet wet with a small gasser and then jump to something bigger later.

Either way, my main question is, whats the quality like on their models. Are they worth looking at, or would I be better off not going there.

Thanks,
Jason
super_nova is offline Find More Posts by super_nova
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
Re: Peak Models - Opinions/Experience Wanted

I'm not familliar with Peak models, but I can say that a 25% airplane really does not fly like a quality 30% airframe.

Even if it means saving for a little while longer, there is nothing better than being truly happy with your purchase.

Confuscious say, "When man who buy expensive item see's price he cry's one time,
Man who takes bargin cheap item smiles at price but then crys many, many times."

SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 06-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Find More Posts by super_nova
United States, SC, Rock Hill
Joined Jan 2007
175 Posts

Thanks for the feedback Sleepy. I've pretty much settled on the 3DHS 87" SHP anyways. From everything I've read, its about the best I can get and I'm not sure I could buy a second rate airframe knowing that
super_nova is offline Find More Posts by super_nova
Old 06-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by GlenR
winnipeg manitoba canada
Joined Mar 2007
38 Posts

Confuscious say, "When man who buy expensive item see's price he cry's one time,
Man who takes bargin cheap item smiles at price but then crys many, many times."

[/quote] sleepyc hit the nail on the head. The up front cost of flying gas goes up experientially as size goes up but the rewards of bigger flies better is no secret. Confucius also said man how piss in cash register find it run into money. Good used may be better than new smaller if cash is an issue. glenr
GlenR is offline Find More Posts by GlenR
Old 06-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Find More Posts by Berwyn Bill
That happens to be MY monkey.
Berwyn, IL
Joined Jan 2006
273 Posts

You'll love the 87" SHP! That's a first class bird there. that said, I have a Peakmodel 55sp that I use for a knock-around plane and it flies very well. Not as sharp as the SHP or my EF Extra but great for stick banging.
Berwyn Bill is offline Find More Posts by Berwyn Bill
Old 06-06-2009, 01:30 AM
Find More Posts by fredstyle
nor cal
Joined Oct 2006
5 Posts

I own the 1st generation Peak 50cc gasser (looks like Aerow***s), got me into gas relatively cheaply, kit AND motor a little over $500. The airframe is a bit heavy but after having it over a year it has done my very well. The DL 50 always gets the "what kind of motor is that" questions and for IMAC style flying it's great, 3D is OKAY at best. Straight forward build, decent hardware, and REALLY fast shipping has done me well.

I will sell it though and pick up a lighter better 3D machine... Learning on not the most expensive frame has made me a better pilot in my opinion as I won't HAVE to fly the frame so much. I'll harvest the guts and move on...at a little less up front $$$. I'd buy from them again.

My .02
fredstyle is offline Find More Posts by fredstyle

Quick Reply