logo
Old 03-29-2014, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by Chris Puckett
Rantoul IL
Joined Jan 2006
1,179 Posts
Can't wait to see it in the air. I love my 60% L4 and hope to have it back in the air this year. Been a long process to get it in fabric with rib stitching and all the pinking.
Chris Puckett is offline Find More Posts by Chris Puckett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Find More Posts by impulse09
lol wut?
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Apr 2010
343 Posts
2 first posters in this thread, interesting.
impulse09 is offline Find More Posts by impulse09
Old 03-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Find More Posts by Tseres
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
I think this is one of those threads where the guy throws something out the window and hopes it sticks to the wall. I hope I'm wrong cause I think it'd be a cool project.
Tseres is offline Find More Posts by Tseres
Old 03-29-2014, 07:20 PM
Find More Posts by garey newbery
Joined Mar 2014
11 Posts
To those pessimists out there. I have built and flown 37 models including the balsa usa 1/3 scale super cub and the 1/3 scale super cub. Building the really big cub is not something I take lightly . THAT'S WHY I am asking for your help NOT YOUR CRITICISM . If you really want to help try constructive criticism and I will thank you for it. Thanks BRBR
garey newbery is offline Find More Posts by garey newbery
Old 03-29-2014, 07:27 PM
Find More Posts by vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,505 Posts
I don't think it was your ability that was questioned. It was the subject. There are so many really big well designed cubs out there today. As a builder myself even if I wanted to scale one completely I would start with a good ARF like the hempels and strip and redo to my liking.
vmceachern is offline Find More Posts by vmceachern
Old 03-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Joined Mar 2014
11 Posts
The plans for the really big cub were enlarged from a set of Pat Tritle plans . I know full well that I am going to have to redesign them to make it work . I checked out the net yesterday and from what I saw, it could turn out to be the worlds biggest full wing R/C piper cub on completion. Correction to my last thread . The second plane is the 1/3 scale PT 17 Stearman with over 2 thousand hours into the build. Does that not sound like a serious builder. The really big cub will be my biggest attempt
Old 03-29-2014, 07:37 PM
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garey newbery View Post
The plans for the really big cub were enlarged from a set of Pat Tritle plans . I know full well that I am going to have to redesign them to make it work . I checked out the net yesterday and from what I saw, it could turn out to be the worlds biggest full wing R/C piper cub on completion. Correction to my last thread . The second plane is the 1/3 scale PT 17 Stearman with over 2 thousand hours into the build. Does that not sound like a serious builder. The really big cub will be my biggest attempt
As I stated I do not question your ability. If that is your passion so be it. I wish you success and hope to follow your build online.
I understand completely
Old 03-29-2014, 07:42 PM
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,505 Posts
Check out this thread. It may be of interest to you.
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...apolog+severin
Old 03-29-2014, 07:52 PM
Find More Posts by BillJ
Where Big is REALLY BIG
United States, VA, Max Meadows
Joined Apr 2006
505 Posts
Deciding on proper sizing of wood is important when enlarging the plans....As you no the ink lines get larger ...along with slots,tabs...lots of items......Structure strength is important...but when approaching this size ..WEIGHT is everything...You'd be surprised how fast you can approach the 125lb limit ( assuming youmight want to fly at an AMA field) Its been done before...Cub plans enlarged even to carry a person.( an ultralight design I saw years ago....Good luck with your project....The blue cub in my Avatar is a cub the size you are considering....Goes about 105 ready to fly,,,
BillJ is offline Find More Posts by BillJ
Old 03-29-2014, 07:55 PM
Find More Posts by BillJ
Where Big is REALLY BIG
Joined Apr 2006
505 Posts
Back to the original question....Using three 350 oz on each aileron...2 on each elevator half.. would get you started...depends a lot on your flying style
Old 03-29-2014, 08:19 PM
Joined Mar 2014
11 Posts
My flying style is slow and easy . I was even considering using chrome molly tubing to frame up the fuse and wings. I have sent emails to Bill Hempel and Pat Tritle asking their advise . This build may take some time and money, well that remains to be seen . I read in Bill Hempels 60 % cub specs that he used 400 ounce servos. I am not going to start this untill I have a complete shopping list of what I need. I already have the engine sitting in a display case in my living room. NO I AM NOT MARRIED LOL
Old 03-29-2014, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Sounds like an awesome project.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 03-30-2014, 05:09 AM
Find More Posts by BRBR
A contributor of sorts
Joined Aug 2012
1,931 Posts
lol this is like deciding to build a house but only going ahead when the carpet colour has been chosen. servos would be one of the last things to consider, only need to decide if they will be standard size or specials like seiko to fit the bays.
BRBR is offline Find More Posts by BRBR
Old 03-30-2014, 05:18 AM
Find More Posts by Languid Virago
Chix fly too.
Joined Jul 2011
1,079 Posts
This is a build thread of a nice decathlon of around that size. It may give you pointers to internal structure and the like.

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...Decathlon-(65-)

I would also suggest scaling down a full size would be a bett proposition than enlarging a quite small set of plans. Don't forget a 4 fold increase in wingspan is a 64 fold increase in airframe size. The aerodynamics would certainly be closer to full size than a sports size model.
Languid Virago is offline Find More Posts by Languid Virago
Old 03-30-2014, 06:22 AM
Find More Posts by BillJ
Where Big is REALLY BIG
Joined Apr 2006
505 Posts
From my Experience....I would also suggest that a 50% cub would be more suited to your 222 engine than the 60%... I'll refer back to the avatar...That's a 57% decathlon on a 3W275, a 47% decathlon on a ZDZ 210 and a 60% cub on a 3w 342....When you go up in the scale your're discussing....2-3% points is a lot.
I'm not going to say its not impossible to fly your project on a 222...But that you might find you'll need to quote STARTREK "I'm giving her all she's got..Captain"
Last edited by BillJ; 03-30-2014 at 06:32 AM.

Quick Reply