Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by andersoneric04
3D Heli pilot turned planker
United States, WI, Madison
Joined Nov 2012
579 Posts
Build Log
20cc Goldwing Sbach 300

I just recieved my new Goldwing 20cc Sbach 300 from General Hobby. I ordered the red white and blue scheme but they sent me the black red and white ***. Oh well it was a good price. I added 1/2 oz of medium CA to all of the joints to be safe, and epoxied the firewall and fuel area. Im happy with the quality and covering so far.
andersoneric04 is offline Find More Posts by andersoneric04
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Find More Posts by pawnshopmike
United States, MO, Sullivan
Joined Jul 2011
1,345 Posts
That's a pretty nice looking bird. Might have to give one of those a try after my 20cc Sbach Profile expires.
pawnshopmike is offline Find More Posts by pawnshopmike
Old 06-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Find More Posts by superstocktx
Joined Apr 2009
2,548 Posts
You gotta fly it first...LOL
superstocktx is offline Find More Posts by superstocktx
Old 06-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by pawnshopmike
United States, MO, Sullivan
Joined Jul 2011
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstocktx View Post
You gotta fly it first...LOL
For sure. Hopefully sooner than later.
pawnshopmike is offline Find More Posts by pawnshopmike
Old 06-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawnshopmike View Post
For sure. Hopefully sooner than later.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Joined Nov 2012
579 Posts
Mounted a DLE 20. Plenty of room in the very !nice cowl! Epoxied the tail togethor. Notice the cherry pepsi i used to balance the rear stab while it dries even with the main wings. Who needs a bunch of weights when you have Pepsi.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,548 Posts
Is the construction of the plane seem pretty good? not flimsy or weak?
Old 06-06-2013, 01:29 AM
Find More Posts by ameyam
Joined Jun 2011
129 Posts
Flimsy construction. I have the same airplane. I couldnt balance with a dle 20 (cg 1.5" back). I didnt build stock, I sheeted the fuse from inside with 1/16" birch ply. That added just 180g but made it very strong. So I put it the dle 30. When I compared this airplane with the 30cc sbach, its just a couple of inches longer. Test flew it last weekend but it needs more setup as the CG is still 15mm back and it tends to noseup in landing. I later installed the cowl and a jtec wraparound muffler which is slightly heavier than stock. I will test fly it this week and report

Ameyam
ameyam is offline Find More Posts by ameyam
Old 06-06-2013, 05:00 AM
Joined Nov 2012
579 Posts
Deleted
Last edited by andersoneric04; 06-10-2013 at 05:57 PM. Reason: deleted
Old 06-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Find More Posts by ameyam
Joined Jun 2011
129 Posts
Hi,

I did reinforce the Reactor Bipe when I got it a couple of seasons back but later realised the fuse part was not required. The LG block and the firewall helped, especially when a 50cc flew into mine. Thats another story, I dont want to hijack your thread

Just putting my impression of the GW Sbach down from what I saw on two of these airplanes, mine and my buddies. Our transport conditions are a lot more rough, so what I did made a lot of sense to everyone here. In the bargain I got a lot sturdier airplane and still within their recommended weight. But I guess what you do is up to your preference and use

Ameyam
ameyam is offline Find More Posts by ameyam
Old 06-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersoneric04 View Post
I just recieved my new Goldwing 20cc Sbach 300 from General Hobby. I ordered the red white and blue scheme but they sent me the black red and white ***. Oh well it was a good price. I added 1/2 oz of medium CA to all of the joints to be safe, and epoxied the firewall and fuel area. Im happy with the quality and covering so far.
Hi Eric,
I have GW Sbach 342 so nearly same animal. A real hot rod with Mintor 22! Used fast servos all around and running redundant LiFe, Fiji 300ml fuel tank. Plane is a HOOT!

Yep, ordered mine from someone else wanting orange and blue/black. Got same scheme as yours and not doing as much business with those folks anymore. Anyway didn't come here to rant- you'll love that plane- 20cc is plenty.
MaceH is offline Find More Posts by MaceH
Old 06-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersoneric04 View Post
I read your take on this plane before I bought it. you stated that you also had to beef up a great planes reactor which made me realize you must like flying brick turds. I have a GP reactor with a DLE 20 in it, and I cannot fold it up. This plane is built very strong for its weight, and I'm very happy with it so far. Sheathing the inside of the plane with ply is totally ridiculous, and a red flag for OCD. It may not have the nice hardware like some of my other planes, but for the price it's VERY nice! DON'T HIJACK MY THREAD!
I reinforced my little Sbach also. Did not do so on my 50cc Reactor and wing EXPLODED in flight. Everything since gets MANY ounces of ca on all wood.
MaceH is offline Find More Posts by MaceH
Last edited by MaceH; 06-12-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: removed verbage that wasn't helpful
Old 06-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Joined Nov 2012
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceH View Post
I reinforced my little Sbach also. Did not do so on my 50cc Reactor and wing EXPLODED in flight. Everything since gets MANY ounces of ca on all wood. And I'll get off your thread, I was just trying to be helpful, looks like help isn't wanted. Bye!
Lol....I was not trying to be unfriendly. I'm just beside my self on how flimsy and chintzy Mr. A thinks this model is... If your into tanks I think you two could get togethor and build a fantastic tank. I think most pilots would agree that the more weight you add to a plane the less fun it will be to fly. Adding weight and jumping up an engine only creates problems because the wing area is a constant. I created this thread because their are not that many non profile 20cc aircraft available, and I would like to give interested people my honest perception.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Joined Nov 2012
579 Posts
Mounted the control surfaces using supplied robart hinges.. Hardware is acceptable for this size bird. I'm also experimenting with Power HD servos on this budget build. I usually use Savox, Align or Hitecs so I'll compare them after a few flights.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,548 Posts
You probably won't go wrong with the Power HD's, a friend of mine has some in a 50cc Yak and beats the piss out of it. They have a little slop in them, but are still going strong!!

Quick Reply