logo
Old 12-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Find More Posts by cadconversions
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
299 Posts
35% Trueworthy Pitts M12

After seeing these things on the internet and a few in person, I'm finally the proud ownner of my own 35% Trueworthy Pitts. I feel like a kid in a candy store.

I've already got 5955's that I'm planning to put in the wings, and 1 on each elevator half. However, I need to know what you think for the elevators and what to do on the rudder. This is my first step up plane from a 50cc EF-Yak so I don't know anything about ganging servos, rudder trays, etc..

I plan to run 2 - A123 2300 packs and a seperate 2300 for ignition. Control via fan cooled 6014 Fasst rx with a possible powerbuss if you guys tell me I need one.

Also, the plane weighs in at 36 lbs plus the drag of a bipe. Most people installed a DA-150 and said the power was crazy. The DA-100 installs fly "scale" according to most. However, I'm stuck on the motor choice. I can go with a DA-150 like most and how crazy power for good times (I really don't 3D at all) or step down to DA-100 and might be a little "slim" on the power band.

However, I'm really looking at the new DA-170 and thinking it's lighter, more powerful, and can go into another plane (maybe one of Bob's 41% Pitts) later. I'm looking for some opinions and insight so I don't ball it up on it's first flight.

Here's some pics of it!
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Find More Posts by rick dazzler
www.taildraggerrc.com
park city, ky
Joined Jan 2006
5,275 Posts
Re: 35% Trueworthy Pitts M12

Hey kev.. If yours is set up like mine there should be 2-4 rudder servo ganged up on the tail.. I just plan on getting the linkages as close as I can and mixing the rest on the 12fg.. You know they can do it!! If you dont mind I might post some setup pictures of my pitts once I ever get it finished.. Shouldn't take long as it is just a used plane. I just been tied up with the eg raven.. Its ready to go though so the pitts is next.. I and Kevin here would love some details from some of you guys that have flown these.. Myself I have been spoild by ,"monoplanes".. Especially the ef110 yak.. Yes I have in mind the drag of a biplane..
rick dazzler is online now Find More Posts by rick dazzler
Old 12-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Find More Posts by mrbigg
Scratch Building ARF Assembler
Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
401 Posts

Go for the 150 or 170, you won't regret it. I had a 120 in my 30 pound Ultimate and it flew it really well. I needed the engine for another project and have since bought a 160 for the Ultimate. Bipes suck the power up big time. The pitts is even worse with the big round cowl.
mrbigg is offline Find More Posts by mrbigg
Old 12-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
299 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion. How about servos in a bipe for rudder / elevators?
Old 12-27-2009, 03:18 AM
Find More Posts by snap a saurus
United States, MA, Dighton
Joined Jan 2006
8,337 Posts

Hi Kevin
I have the 41% powered with a DA150 and pipes but mine is a lightweight relatively speaking, I have 2 8611 per aileron , One 8611 per elevator half and that's plenty, a Seiko on the rudder and that's an overkill, 2 8711 or equivalent would have been fine, so in your case, I would say, One 5955 servo per aileron, One 5955 per elevator half and 2 on the rudder that should be plenty, as for the motor, it depends on your type of flying, me personally I would go with at least a 150, good luck.
Elie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadconversions View Post
After seeing these things on the internet and a few in person, I'm finally the proud ownner of my own 35% Trueworthy Pitts. I feel like a kid in a candy store.

I've already got 5955's that I'm planning to put in the wings, and 1 on each elevator half. However, I need to know what you think for the elevators and what to do on the rudder. This is my first step up plane from a 50cc EF-Yak so I don't know anything about ganging servos, rudder trays, etc..

I plan to run 2 - A123 2300 packs and a seperate 2300 for ignition. Control via fan cooled 6014 Fasst rx with a possible powerbuss if you guys tell me I need one.

Also, the plane weighs in at 36 lbs plus the drag of a bipe. Most people installed a DA-150 and said the power was crazy. The DA-100 installs fly "scale" according to most. However, I'm stuck on the motor choice. I can go with a DA-150 like most and how crazy power for good times (I really don't 3D at all) or step down to DA-100 and might be a little "slim" on the power band.

However, I'm really looking at the new DA-170 and thinking it's lighter, more powerful, and can go into another plane (maybe one of Bob's 41% Pitts) later. I'm looking for some opinions and insight so I don't ball it up on it's first flight.

Here's some pics of it!
snap a saurus is offline Find More Posts by snap a saurus
Old 12-27-2009, 05:36 AM
Find More Posts by Supermod56
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Jan 2006
520 Posts

Go with a 150 with standard "mufflers", Or you can think about the new 3W 110, that thing really screams, might be just the ticket!

Tom
Supermod56 is online now Find More Posts by Supermod56
Old 12-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
299 Posts

Thanks Snap and Tom. I'm really leaning hard towards the 150 size just for future use. I find it hard to think about staying at a 100cc size when stepping up to a 150 isn't that much more money but it certainly is more plane.

I think I'll for sure go with a 3 blade prop for the coolness factor, a little quieter is nice, and it might take a little edge off the power. I'm no 3D guy but I have a blast flying way overpowered planes as long as I can get them propped right so they will slow down. Don't think I'll have that problem with a bipe.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Find More Posts by vsnap
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jun 2006
2,224 Posts

You can get some good deals on a GOOD USED 150. Keep the stock mufflers and go with it. Plenty of power for this plane and I think you will see some Kits coming out specifically for these engines in the future, so it wont be a bench engine due to the 170's or 200's.
Although a 170 sounds great it would be way overkill for the airplane and I think for the fun factor just to much $$$$. I have seen a 150 fly the plane and it would make a wise choice.
vsnap is offline Find More Posts by vsnap
Old 12-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Find More Posts by Bryant330L
Salem, Indiana ........USA!
Joined Jan 2006
869 Posts

Kevin, you might consider the BME 150. I don't think they are much heavier than the DA 100 but they do have some grunt. Whatever brand you consider I don't think I would stick a 100 on it. I know some guys were sticking the BME 150 in their 35% monoplanes and having a blast with that additional power.
Bryant330L is offline Find More Posts by Bryant330L
Old 12-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
299 Posts

Thanks, I'll check the BME's out but I'm a pretty big DA loyalist...yet I know there are other motors that every bit as good.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Find More Posts by Tail Dragger
Berea,Kentucky
Joined Feb 2006
23 Posts

I would like to see some pic's of Rudder/Elev servo setups for this plane as I now own one
I plan on putting a 3W 150 on it and was wondering where would be the best place to put these servos as for CG purposes. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Duane
Tail Dragger is offline Find More Posts by Tail Dragger
Old 10-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Find More Posts by vsnap
Joined Jun 2006
2,224 Posts

Hey kevin did you get yours flying yet? I have the old blue and yellow one completey stripped down now and I have been slowly cleaning things up getting ready for a recover. I hope to have it done in the spring, DA 150 and since I have the front end off I might make it cannister ready, just havent decided yet. Also I am thinking on new ailerons for the wings since I have them stripped also, and all throw availability is being increased as I go along. I did alot of cutting to thin the airframe but laughed at how little it saved weight wise, was fun though.
Scott
Old 10-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsnap View Post
Hey kevin did you get yours flying yet? I have the old blue and yellow one completey stripped down now and I have been slowly cleaning things up getting ready for a recover. I hope to have it done in the spring, DA 150 and since I have the front end off I might make it cannister ready, just havent decided yet. Also I am thinking on new ailerons for the wings since I have them stripped also, and all throw availability is being increased as I go along. I did alot of cutting to thin the airframe but laughed at how little it saved weight wise, was fun though.
Scott

Hey Scott, I sold it to Taildragger (Duane) on here and just talked to him the other day. I think he's plan is to get it ready for this coming season. After getting it together - the thought of flying something that big and expensive kicked me in the tail...plus I was eying a few high dollar pistols so I put the money into cold hard steel and lead.

I just got back into flying on a consistent basis a few months ago after shutting down my main business. Still have my Carl Goldberg Pitts M12 with a MVVS 26 so I can at least fulfill my pitts addiction and my Aerolock 36" wingspan electric pitts.

You have my buddies Pitts that use to belong to Kregg correct?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:33 AM
Find More Posts by vsnap
Joined Jun 2006
2,224 Posts

Kevin,

Yes I do. I picked it up last summer, and the more I looked at it the more it needed some TLC. Soooooo as the saying goes one thing led to another etc, etc, etc.. Just yesterday I ended up stripping half the sheeting off the fuse to replace some repair work and since it was built at a time that you needed multiple switches (5) it had alot of holes to fill. I wasnt planning on going this far but I always create more work then needed it seems.
Have fun with the cold hard steel and red hot lead, and glad to hear your back flying.

Scott
Old 10-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
299 Posts

With that ugly as sin (Sorry) scale covering that Kregg decided on it needed to be recovered! HAHA - just having fun with you but that South Africa scheme was never my favorite.... You'll have a great looking bipe when you finish. Now that I have trashed the scheme that was on it - what is your thoughts on the new scheme so far?

Quick Reply