Old 10-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashflow View Post
What maneuvers do you think it will be exceptional at. low and slow stuff. High speed high energy stuff or is this just going to do it all!!!! I can't wait to see you fly it my friend. Looking good!!
I'm thinking along the lines of swiss army knife of aerobatics. Seriously though, it should roll nice (wing shape), should draw nice lines (fairly long), should have plenty of authority (Huge ailerons and rudder with plenty adequate elevator). I've been practicing more along the lines of low and slow and precision so that is what I'm looking for.

Can't wait to see YOU fly it! Next year you can't use that "I'm still new" stuff
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Find More Posts by Crashflow
AKA 87 Days
United States, SD, Box Elder
Joined Jan 2013
507 Posts
Helimaniac can be the "new" guy now
Crashflow is offline Find More Posts by Crashflow
Old 10-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
I fly like a new guy. Can I be the new guy?
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 10-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Got my work done so I did a couple more things tonight.
It's more cost effective to buy the longeron stock in 48" lengths, so they need to be spliced. They have a round hole in the middle, so I got some solid round rod that fits with a slight interference fit. I sand half of the rod just so it fits with some pressure. Then about two drops of CA locks it in there forever. Then sand the other half for the same or slightly more loose fit. I line up the rods the way I want them together, and put a little thin CA on the rod. With one quick movement slide it on and align it......it bonds faster than CA to skin!. I've done some destructive testing on this joint and the square actually broke where the rod was not present inside of it.

So, those are staged and ready to epoxy to the fuse sides. So I made a huge mess cutting beveled hinge stock for two MX's and one Viper. I cut them at the correct angle, but just slightly over-sized so it only takes a slight amount of sanding to get them done.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Looks great.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 10-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by daytonarc
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Oct 2012
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscustom View Post
I line up the rods the way I want them together, and put a little thin CA on the rod. With one quick movement slide it on and align it......it bonds faster than CA to skin!. I've done some destructive testing on this joint and the square actually broke where the rod was not present inside of it.
Have you tried the destructive testing on the CA to skin joint? I have.
daytonarc is offline Find More Posts by daytonarc
Old 10-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by robbinsp
Joined Sep 2009
3,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashflow View Post
What maneuvers do you think it will be exceptional at. low and slow stuff. High speed high energy stuff or is this just going to do it all!!!! I can't wait to see you fly it my friend. Looking good!!
Ill answer this.

Of course we dont know this yet because it is an unproven prototype (not even built yet). However, one must realize how damn amazing Terry's mind and skills work together. I vote for it will do it all, then some more.

Again
And again
And again
Repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb View Post
I fly like a new guy. Can I be the new guy?
NO Helicanic is - be nice to him though at first!
robbinsp is offline Find More Posts by robbinsp
Old 10-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Find More Posts by helicanic
Flying Low
United States, SC, Easley
Joined Sep 2013
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbinsp View Post
Ill answer this.

Of course we dont know this yet because it is an unproven prototype (not even built yet). However, one must realize how damn amazing Terry's mind and skills work together. I vote for it will do it all, then some more.

Again
And again
And again
Repeat

NO Helicanic is - be nice to him though at first!

Diddo!! Again and Again and Again, Repeat...

yep New guy here....
helicanic is offline Find More Posts by helicanic
Old 10-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Find More Posts by cardenflyer
Council Bluffs, IA
Joined Jan 2006
1,376 Posts
New guy buys the blue/silver cans at his first CornHuckfest
cardenflyer is offline Find More Posts by cardenflyer
Old 10-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Find More Posts by helicanic
Flying Low
United States, SC, Easley
Joined Sep 2013
185 Posts
Quote:
It's more cost effective to buy the longeron stock in 48" lengths, so they need to be spliced. They have a round hole in the middle, so I got some solid round rod that fits with a slight interference fit. I sand half of the rod just so it fits with some pressure. Then about two drops of CA locks it in there forever. Then sand the other half for the same or slightly more loose fit. I line up the rods the way I want them together, and put a little thin CA on the rod. With one quick movement slide it on and align it......it bonds faster than CA to skin!. I've done some destructive testing on this joint and the square actually broke where the rod was not present inside of it.

So, those are staged and ready to epoxy to the fuse sides. So I made a huge mess cutting beveled hinge stock for two MX's and one Viper. I cut them at the correct angle, but just slightly over-sized so it only takes a slight amount of sanding to get them done.
Looking nice Terry!
helicanic is offline Find More Posts by helicanic
Old 10-23-2013, 08:51 AM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:

Where are you buying the square rods from? I have a non airplane project that needs quite a few of those and I am looking for a decent price on them.
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Old 10-23-2013, 09:14 AM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Dragonplate.com for squares and rods. For round tubes I get them from goodwinds.com. Both have fast shipping and some of the better pricing I've found. Onlinemetals.com seems to be dabbling in composites now as well, they are really good to deal with as well.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Thanks Terry!
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Old 10-23-2013, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
Digging the progress! Definitely a new paradigm in scratch building!
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 10-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
OK, went and played for the weekend, now it's time to get crackin on these planes!! At least for a bit, I'll probably get quite a bit more done tomorrow. Gluing on the longerons takes a little time and patience because too much glue just = extra weight. Also, on these too much glue on the top side means that the top and bottom plates won't fit, which = stress and swearing! (I learned the hard way on a previous build).

I also got some very perdy mufflers from Jtec for the DA70's Fibertechnmore does some really really nice work on cowls, they put this one together for my Viper project

Quick Reply