logo
Old 09-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Find More Posts by tail_slider3d
United States, GA, Columbus
Joined Jul 2014
95 Posts
Discussion
Are Krills worth it?

I'm getting the itch for a new 35%. The krill extra 330 looks awesome! I have never owned a composite plane. I know there are a lot of really awesome planes out there in the 35% size but the thought of no wrinkles in the monokote makes me happy.
For the guys that own this plane or flown it does the aircraft perform as well as it's 35% wood/covering rivals?
tail_slider3d is online now Find More Posts by tail_slider3d
Old 09-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Find More Posts by TimBle
Joined Dec 2010
4,418 Posts
PM Craig Bavery, heis on the board and UK distributor for Krill for detailed info. They seem a little heavier than the built up planes but build quality is awesome.
TimBle is online now Find More Posts by TimBle
Old 09-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Find More Posts by whidbey1
Statesville, nc
Joined Jan 2006
228 Posts
subscribed
whidbey1 is offline Find More Posts by whidbey1
Old 09-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Find More Posts by craig77
UK
Joined Jul 2006
826 Posts
Hi Guys..

If you're after a model that will last for ages protected with the right covers than a composite is the way to go. I believe that somethings only worth what you're willing to pay.

I personally have had a few composite planes, from carf to Krill. I personally prefer the way the Krills fly, they 3D and fly precision extremely well. I found the carfs are built stiffer and end up a tad heavier. The krill's are designed for competition in mind, I loved my 35% extra until she met her end…

I ran the DA120 and moved to the MVVS116np, the MVVS ended up producing bags more power than the DA and the extra balanced spot on with this engine. The 35% extra is by far the best 3D machine Ive ever flown. really predictable. so to me a Krill is worth every penny!!!!
craig77 is offline Find More Posts by craig77
Old 09-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Find More Posts by henry b
self sponsored pilot
United States, PA, West Grove
Joined Dec 2006
673 Posts
I loved my composite 55sp from carf but when it went in I damn near cried nothing left to fix I went back to balsa .When I flew the compy even after 4 years I still had the pucker factor . I now fly a older QQpython and the pucker went away . It does not fly any better but it is a lot easier to fix JMHO but they do fly and look awesome . nothing like that turtle wax finish.
henry b is offline Find More Posts by henry b
Old 09-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by Alpha20
Joined Jan 2006
312 Posts
Worth it? Take look from approx 2:55😜
Notoddenstevnet 2014 (15 min 14 sec)
Alpha20 is offline Find More Posts by Alpha20
Old 09-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Find More Posts by cesar781
Brazil, São Paulo, Palmeira d'Oeste
Joined Mar 2007
362 Posts
I wish was easy to get one ov this over to Brazil Imports here are 100% ,that means double the price
cesar781 is offline Find More Posts by cesar781
Old 09-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Find More Posts by tail_slider3d
United States, GA, Columbus
Joined Jul 2014
95 Posts
I worry a bit about working with the fiberglass. To be honest splitting the cowl seems daunting to me. Most likely it's easy but I've just never had any experience with composite material.
tail_slider3d is online now Find More Posts by tail_slider3d
Old 09-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2006
10,109 Posts
I split the cowl on a Pilot Yak ARF a year or so ago... really no trouble. Once you start, it literally takes about 2 hours from start to finish, and as long as you mark and cut a straight line, it looks great.

With that said.. I can understand your hesitation. I bought a CARF Pitts (always wanted one). I didn't realize it until I bought it, but the top half of the cowl is by default still attached to the airplane. The bottom half comes off so you can mount the motor, exhaust, etc.. but the top half does not come off. Since I was installing a radial motor and it would routinely need oiling, valve adjustments, etc... I decided to cut the top of the cowl off from the rest of the fuse. I looked at it for probably a month, then one day I just got the dremel out, put the diamond cutting wheel on it and went to town... it took a day or so with bracing underneath and all, but it turned out great.
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old 09-09-2014, 07:52 AM
Find More Posts by boggintuff
Sigh...really?
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Dec 2009
2,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha20 View Post
Worth it? Take look from approx 2:55😜
http://youtu.be/hOHc9a-ALhc
Man that flight was very stable. No wing rock at all
boggintuff is online now Find More Posts by boggintuff
Old 09-14-2014, 06:41 PM
Find More Posts by Alkaline
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Mar 2010
936 Posts
AHH

NO Krills are not worth I have had 3 and will not be buying another krill. They are too weak, overpriced and do not fly all that well.

If I have to chose betwen carf or krill it will be CARF regardless of the price.

Lastly the customer support is sucky at best IN THE US at least.

Krills Owned:

41% Extra 330sc
Krill thunder
Krill 40% katana
Alkaline is offline Find More Posts by Alkaline
Old 09-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Find More Posts by Alkaline
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Mar 2010
936 Posts
If you are planning on spending that money, do yourself a favor and buy a extreme flight 125 extra instead, if you want a 100cc composite then get the qq hangar 9 composite.

I have yet to find a decent 150cc composite plane that doesn't fly like crap compared to the well established wood/film covered planes, so far only the qq hangar 9 yak with carbon fiber upgrades comes close, the rest do not, they fly worse than film/wood covered planes.

Anyone who says otherwise is either a vendor or someone that is sponsored, or... a stupid fan boy that doesn't have a clue.
Alkaline is offline Find More Posts by Alkaline
Old 09-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by Jetpainter
United States, IL, Belleville
Joined Nov 2011
1,243 Posts
Buy whatever you want and don't let know-it-alls tell you otherwise.
Jetpainter is offline Find More Posts by Jetpainter
Old 09-15-2014, 07:17 PM
Find More Posts by ace20
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Jan 2006
293 Posts
I am not a fanboy or vendor, but I have owned several giant scale planes. I've owned 3 Krills, 150cc yak, 100cc katana, and now 170cc extra. I've also owned Carden, 3DHS, Pilot, CARF, and Aeroworks. The Krill has pros and cons just like the rest. I have the 170cc Krill extra and it flies great. The setup is a key factor in how well a plane flies. If you can afford the 35% krill go for it. Buy what you like and can afford, I don't think you will go wrong with any of the top brands now a days.
ace20 is offline Find More Posts by ace20
Old 09-15-2014, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by dstewart51
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, CA, Lake Hughes
Joined Nov 2013
479 Posts
Chip Hyde had some interesting comments on his Krill experience;

https://www.facebook.com/chip.hyde.5...56285041095621
dstewart51 is online now Find More Posts by dstewart51