Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > General Discussion
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 04-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
WINDSURF
Flyin' Around

Default fuel line size

installed an .80 engine on my new decathlon. Engine seems to starve at top end ( glow 2 stroke ). I'm using 1/16 line. Do you think i have to go to 3/32 line.
I've also install a .90 glow in a rare bear using 3/32 line...It doesn't seem to starve at top end though.
My tank line feed on the decathlon is probably an inch below the carb fitting though. Do you think this is the cause. The fuel also foams a lot ( omega 10 % w/castrol ).It's a brand new skyward eng (abc ) , but is 21 yrs old & calls for 7% nitro use .
I'm thinking..3 problems... #1.. fuel line to low....#2.. need 2 go to 1/8 fuel line...# 3... may need to try an os 10 ( cold plug )since the eng. rotation has reversed direction when throttling up ( after it's running )

Any logical thought's on this..Biggest i've run so far is a .60 glow., so i'm new to the larger engines.

Last edited by WINDSURF; 04-27-2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: wrong line sizes quoted
WINDSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
airboss/oc
fly inverted indoors

check for air leaks and replace the clunk line. open the needle valve a bit and check the carb for dirt. the 1/8 fuel tubing is not needed.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
WINDSURF
Flyin' Around

Quote: Originally Posted by airboss/oc
View Post
check for air leaks and replace the clunk line. open the needle valve a bit and check the carb for dirt. the 1/8 fuel tubing is not needed.
Yes..that was all done & is fine.
I think the 1/16 is to small for the .80 though. That tank was in a plane that came with a .46. I edited my post. Had quoted the wrong line sizing used.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Siko_Flyer
Know God,no fear!

You also stated your fuel is foaming alot,check your pressure tube in the tank,it should be pointed up close to the top of the tank,if it's in the fuel it will cause the foaming.
Jeff Sikes
Siko_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
FHHuber
on a vacation

The issue is most likely the fuel foaming, not the fuel tubing size.

If the tank is not secure enough you will get foaming. You can hard mount it or stuff foam all around it but if it rattles around its wrong.

A guaranteed cure for foaming is the Tetra series of bladder lined tanks. You extract the air then pump in fuel. The muffler pressure goes outside the bladder. No air inside the bladder = no foaming.
http://www.darrolcady.com/Tettra_Tan...tra_tanks.html (this place just has the small ones... but good info)
More expensive than other tanks, but they cure a lot of problems.
FHHuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
WINDSURF
Flyin' Around

Quote: Originally Posted by FHHuber
View Post
The issue is most likely the fuel foaming, not the fuel tubing size.

If the tank is not secure enough you will get foaming. You can hard mount it or stuff foam all around it but if it rattles around its wrong.

A guaranteed cure for foaming is the Tetra series of bladder lined tanks. You extract the air then pump in fuel. The muffler pressure goes outside the bladder. No air inside the bladder = no foaming.
http://www.darrolcady.com/Tettra_Tan...tra_tanks.html (this place just has the small ones... but good info)
More expensive than other tanks, but they cure a lot of problems.
Thanks for the link...interesting...however, the tanks are to small for the planes i use. Into scale / giant scale. Good idea on those tanks though .
Old 04-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
FHHuber
on a vacation

Tetras come in larger sizes.

http://www.centralhobbies.com/Fuel/fueltnk2.html
FHHuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
WINDSURF
Flyin' Around

Quote: Originally Posted by FHHuber
View Post
Hey...now that's more like it ! Checked out the site & i like those tanks.