logo
Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 AM
Find More Posts by Jezmo
Joined Jan 2009
33 Posts
That's funny Thomas. Real funny because the voltage of the 2S A123 LiFePO4 IS NOT any higher when fully charged than a 5 cell NiMh pack fully charged. It really sounds as though you are saying a reg MUST be run even when using NiMh as a power source. It that is the case then they are not the servo most would expect them to be. I completely agree with Toon's post. It is a deal killer, I WILL NOT run regulators. One more point of failure, KISS.
Jezmo is offline Find More Posts by Jezmo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Find More Posts by glydic
Ocean View, DE
Joined Nov 2010
76 Posts
I just FRYED two DS1210 using A123, they lasted about 30 minutes.
glydic is offline Find More Posts by glydic
Old 12-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Find More Posts by chumley
Lynn Haven, FL
Joined Jul 2007
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glydic View Post
What were you using them in? Were you pushing them hard or could they just not handle the power?
chumley is offline Find More Posts by chumley
Old 12-07-2011, 03:38 AM
Find More Posts by RCToon
Dubai, UAE
Joined Dec 2009
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glydic View Post
bummer... i am off DS1210s.
RCToon is offline Find More Posts by RCToon
Old 12-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Find More Posts by smarks
Gravity Sucks!
Castle Rock, Colorado
Joined May 2006
484 Posts
Guys - Let me put this into perspective for you. If you bought a new car and the manufacturer told you that you had to run unleaded gas in the car would you? If you decided to run deisel because your last car ran on deisel and you preferred deisel, I doubt the manufacturer would warranty the vehicle if you had problems.

If MKS recommends you run no more than 6v to the servo, I would heed their recomendation. If this servo won't work for your application why not find a different servo in luie of arguing with the manufacturer that their servo is crap because it won't do what you want? Move on guys....
smarks is offline Find More Posts by smarks
Old 12-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Dubai, UAE
Joined Dec 2009
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarks View Post
Guys - Let me put this into perspective for you. If you bought a new car and the manufacturer told you that you had to run unleaded gas in the car would you? If you decided to run deisel because your last car ran on deisel and you preferred deisel, I doubt the manufacturer would warranty the vehicle if you had problems.

If MKS recommends you run no more than 6v to the servo, I would heed their recomendation. If this servo won't work for your application why not find a different servo in luie of arguing with the manufacturer that their servo is crap because it won't do what you want? Move on guys....
Exactly, i am moving on.
If the manufacturer insists on unleaded and I am not comfortable with it, I wont buy that car... simple as that.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by boggintuff
Sigh...really?
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Dec 2009
2,993 Posts
lol petty arguing over a servo that doesn't meet your needs and thus calling them crap...you guys are class acts.
Even worse is not heeding the recommended setup and frying the servo then blaming the manufacturer.
boggintuff is offline Find More Posts by boggintuff
Old 12-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Dubai, UAE
Joined Dec 2009
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggintuff View Post
lol petty arguing over a servo that doesn't meet your needs and thus calling them crap...you guys are class acts.
Even worse is not heeding the recommended setup and frying the servo then blaming the manufacturer.
Recommended voltage is 6 volts which in aeromodelling terminology means a 5 cell NiMH pack. Guess what the voltage is on a full charge? By comparison A123 is 6.6 and the servos are dead. This means that one uses a regulator or a 4.8 volt pack!! A 6v servo should take what is normally considered a 6 volt pack.

They are crap to me.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Gravity Sucks!
Castle Rock, Colorado
Joined May 2006
484 Posts
There is a big difference between a nimh pack and an A123 life. The nmhi will drop in voltage much quicker than an a123 life which will be above 6 volts the entire time. Thomas never said you cant run this servo on a nimh 5 cell pack, only regulate if u run a123 life. There is a purpose behind every design and if the design doesn't work for you there are many other options. That doesn't make a product crap. Thomas also said they will have a HV servo out next year.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Dubai, UAE
Joined Dec 2009
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarks View Post
There is a big difference between a nimh pack and an A123 life. The nmhi will drop in voltage much quicker than an a123 life which will be above 6 volts the entire time. Thomas never said you cant run this servo on a nimh 5 cell pack, only regulate if u run a123 life. There is a purpose behind every design and if the design doesn't work for you there are many other options. That doesn't make a product crap. Thomas also said they will have a HV servo out next year.
Every servo advertised as 6volts can run on A123 (except DS1210). Ok I change my statement, they are crap for aeromodelling.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Gravity Sucks!
Castle Rock, Colorado
Joined May 2006
484 Posts
Not true. Some Hyperion servos are rated at 6v and will fry on A123s. You are making very general assumptions with obvious lack of knowledge. Just because you haven't had experience with another servo that can't take an A123 you assume they ALL can. Have you used every brand of servo on the market? I doubt it. Go buy a Hitec and be done with it. No need to bash a manufacturer because it won't work for your application. More MKS servos for me!!
Old 12-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Dubai, UAE
Joined Dec 2009
880 Posts
You are right. I have not used every brand of servos, but every brand I have used including Jr, futaba, hitec, spectrum, towerhobbies..and others take a A123.. bottom line is that the majority of popular brand s do..u can always come up with some obsure brand with does not, it does not count..yes I am replacing some new mks with hitec.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by boggintuff
Sigh...really?
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Dec 2009
2,993 Posts
nvm him smarks....he just doesnt get it.
boggintuff is offline Find More Posts by boggintuff
Old 12-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Gravity Sucks!
Castle Rock, Colorado
Joined May 2006
484 Posts
Old 12-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Find More Posts by WrongWayRC
Dot Com-ing it...
Ormond Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2008
4,091 Posts
Here is the dreaded DS1210 on throttle on A123 with almost 4 hours of run time. Flawless...

On each aileron on this plane the DS 660+ on rudder and elevator the HV-767.(watch the servo speed of elevator in hover, I am loving these)

Why do I sell SWB arms? Because I have tried them and they are good and I only sell Servos, Arms, props, kits.. whatever.... that I have tried and believe in.

WWRC 60cc windy December fun (6 min 35 sec)
WrongWayRC is offline Find More Posts by WrongWayRC

Quick Reply