logo
Old 04-21-2015, 01:04 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
For me, I've been flying for over 30 years, much longer if you count control line days, also introduced the concept of FreeStyle Aerobatics (to music back in 1984) up here in the great white north. I'm a "gadget geek" per se, and this is just another gadget to play with.

It's a Hobby, and people make what they make out of it. The other hobby is racing full scale race cars, yup with me in it, that too is a hobby.

Bottom line is, take pride in whatever you do, enjoy your "hobby" play with the toys you want to play with, don't belittle anyone else for enjoying the hobby their way.

I think it's totally irrelevant how anyone spins this, it's a different vector to the hobby we all share in common.

Live and let live, enjoy the HOBBY your way!

Group Hug Time!!!
JoeT is offline Find More Posts by JoeT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-21-2015, 01:13 PM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
AMA LM CD IP
Joined Jul 2011
4,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
For me, I've been flying for over 30 years, much longer if you count control line days, also introduced the concept of FreeStyle Aerobatics (to music back in 1984) up here in the great white north. I'm a "gadget geek" per se, and this is just another gadget to play with.

It's a Hobby, and people make what they make out of it. The other hobby is racing full scale race cars, yup with me in it, that too is a hobby.

Bottom line is, take pride in whatever you do, enjoy your "hobby" play with the toys you want to play with, don't belittle anyone else for enjoying the hobby their way.

I think it's totally irrelevant how anyone spins this, it's a different vector to the hobby we all share in common.

Live and let live, enjoy the HOBBY your way!

Group Hug Time!!!
Well said.

I dont mind someone expressing their opinion , but to belittle those who do use them, is just negativity for any forum.

Gyros have their place and time.. enjoy the hobby your way... I will enjoy mine, my way.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Old 04-21-2015, 02:41 PM
Find More Posts by hackdroot
United States, CA, Oakley
Joined Jun 2010
108 Posts
Never used a gyro in any of my sport or 3D models, but that's not because I have anything against them. Just that my 50-100cc models nickel and dime me enough without any additional unnecessary expenses. I take a certain amount of pride in my ability to fly out the little nuances that are involved in flying a model airplane cleanly, and I think that it's made me a better pilot because of that practice.

With that said, I plan on buying one of the Aura 8's to try out in one of my 50cc models. It's cheap enough that it's not going to break me, and if I like it, then it's money well spent. If I decide not to use it, then I'm sure i'll have no problem recouping part of my expense.
hackdroot is offline Find More Posts by hackdroot
Old 04-21-2015, 03:00 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
I think the pride thing is important to note. People that learned to fly the "hard way" see gyro's as a short cut so other less skilled pilots can essentially look like they are seasoned pro's when they haven't "earned" it. Gyro's blur the line between hard earned ability, and the ability to write a check. Seth Arnold is one example. Seth doesn't need a gyro to fly well, but because he used one 2 years in competition (secretly) before "coming out" he was not loved by the other competitors, and might never loose the stigma of "cheating" regardless of poorly defined technicalities in the rules.

Yes, arguments can be made to include mixing/ using 40% airplanes in competition as cheating. Bigger flies better, and as many have stated, putting a gyro in a 50cc plane will make it fly like a 40%. Is flying a 40% cheating? No, but it flies better due to physics- not flight stabilization. Knife edge mixing free's the pilot up to fight wind conditions without having to wrestle with the "impure" flight characteristics of their aircraft at the same time. A Gyro does it all. You don't have to correct for anything. Gone is the need for finesse, experience, and hard earned skill.

The bottom line- so long as they are not allowed in competition, I'm OK with it.

Sorry to beat the dead horse. It's time for me to move on.
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 04-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Find More Posts by Roger Russell
Jacksonville, Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
475 Posts
Everyone has mentioned 50cc, 100cc, 40% this and that.

No one has mentioned a WAR BIRD.

Would be great to have in a P 40, AT 6, and in JETS.

I can attest how hard for me it is to land P 40 and a AT 6, neither one pretty.

A GRYO would have helped.

Next time driving your car, don't use CRUISE CONTROL or POWER STEERING, see how tired you get in doing that. They have advanced, let the GYRO advance.
Roger Russell is offline Find More Posts by Roger Russell
Old 04-21-2015, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by bamdfisher
KRAZY KANUK
Canada, ON, Parry Sound District
Joined May 2011
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Russell View Post
Next time driving your car, don't use CRUISE CONTROL or POWER STEERING, see how tired you get in doing that. They have advanced, let the GYRO advance.

That is a very good analogy. With might right hip needing to be replaced I could not live without Cruise Control.

I'm putting a gyro in my 1/3 scale Harvard (AT-6) with a Moki 250. If it helps me from making a bad landing and busting a wheel out of the wing, I'm for "Cheaten"!
bamdfisher is offline Find More Posts by bamdfisher
Old 04-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Find More Posts by crash-n-burn
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Feb 2008
2,090 Posts
What's the best gyro out there currently.
crash-n-burn is offline Find More Posts by crash-n-burn
Old 04-21-2015, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Living the dream
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Oct 2007
6,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash-n-burn View Post
What's the best gyro out there currently.

can that be answered? I think any answer would be subjective at best.
The best gyro is the one that the end user prefers to use.
Cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Old 04-21-2015, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by crash-n-burn
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Feb 2008
2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryhavoc38 View Post
can that be answered? I think any answer would be subjective at best.
The best gyro is the one that the end user prefers to use.
touche
crash-n-burn is offline Find More Posts by crash-n-burn
Old 04-21-2015, 06:29 PM
Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
United States, IL, Moline
Joined Oct 2008
2,059 Posts
i learned the hard way and have billions of hours learning my craft. but not everyone can spend the hours we do and have full ability some of us also have. this isnt a crutch. its just fun and can be a learning aid. i now have a i gyro and soon to be one of the aura8. i really think its fun to have and doenst really make me any better then before. it just helps me relax abit. but one guy was having trouble learning a flat inverted turn. i let him try my plane and he can do it pretty good. i think once you learn on a gyro that you can slowy turn the gains down and get off the gyro if you want it as a learning device. they are great and dont need to be bashed.
nappyroots2182 is offline Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Old 04-21-2015, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by Yowzilla
United States, TX, Mission
Joined Nov 2013
160 Posts
I wonder how many folks that are against gyros have actually tried a modern gain variable gyro?
In other words anyone tried these new gyros and did not come away with an increase in their fun??

Any talk about learning to fly with Gyro and impacting your skill in a negative way does not know how the new gyros work. They react to forces the most when the sticks are neutral or center. When the sticks are pegged in the corners the gyro is virtually off for that channel.

The cheap gyros feel like a bowl of jelly that fight you the entire time. The new ones are off when you do hard snaps and pop tops.

The bottom line is if you do not move the sticks in the correct direction you will crash with or without a gyro.

At times with 20mph wind a regular occurrence in south Texas, a gyro makes the difference between flying and not flying the medium sized aircraft without much mass.

I have Cortex in a Addiction XL and do not in my 3SHS 106" Edge540. I believe there is diminishing returns with gyros as the aircraft gets larger. But have not tried so should not comment about gyros on the 120cc stuff.
Yowzilla is offline Find More Posts by Yowzilla
Old 04-21-2015, 10:20 PM
Find More Posts by MugMan
Joined Jun 2011
5 Posts
I read the comments about full scale aerobatic planes not using stabilization. I look at stabilization in RC planes as the way a full scale pilot "feels" the plane. A pilot sitting in a plane will feel all the bumps and gusts from the wind and immediately correct for it. As an RC pilot, we cannot "feel" the wind. We can only react after we see the plane move and then react to it. (I'm mostly referring to gusts of wind, not a steady breeze). I am all for using electronic stabilization, however, I will never criticize someone who chooses to fly without it. To each his own. I can see more people enjoying the hobby and being able to fly on windier, gustier days that prior to stabilization would have kept them at home. Personally, I fly both. I have ultra micros with and without stabilization. My larger planes do not, but I will add it to some, eventually.

~Jack
MugMan is offline Find More Posts by MugMan
Old 04-21-2015, 10:54 PM
Find More Posts by JagerBomb
St Peters Missouri
Joined Jan 2006
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash-n-burn View Post
what gyro are you using ?
Demon Cortex
JagerBomb is offline Find More Posts by JagerBomb
Old 04-22-2015, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by maxun
Canal Winchester Ohio
Joined Aug 2006
185 Posts
Bottom line, if it make you happy to use it, use it, if the devised help you flying and save you plane in hi wind, use it, is you money, and is a hobby, grow up. I'm a 3D pilot and I use all the new stuff that come's out. Innovation is great.
maxun is offline Find More Posts by maxun
Old 04-22-2015, 09:03 AM
Find More Posts by maxun
Canal Winchester Ohio
Joined Aug 2006
185 Posts
Quique I'm from Buenos Aires, and I flight for the last 10 years with Greg Poppel from Team Futaba, and we had in our field "Columbus Big Bird" in Ohio, one of you new planes, and the plane flight beautiful, good luck with you new company.
maxun is offline Find More Posts by maxun

Quick Reply