logo
This thread is privately moderated by Ryguy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Find More Posts by krashmaster81
What goes up, must come down!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
688 Posts
Re: Money

hey rudder, good job, that's showing some initiative!
krashmaster81 is offline Find More Posts by krashmaster81
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Find More Posts by pitviper51
Burn Gas.. Bend wings.
Kentucky
Joined Apr 2006
9,354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashmaster81
ah, your jeep must be related to my jeep . . . 12mpg around town, 16 or 17 on pure highway, it's glorious!!!

-Matt
95 grand cherokee orvis edition, 5.8 v8 , transmission is goofy,, 154K miles
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old 05-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by 3DGE 540
Huck It Low
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
198 Posts

I think most Teens with the big gassers like 33%-40% Share there planes with there Dad's and thats how they get them. Like me
3DGE 540 is offline Find More Posts by 3DGE 540
Old 05-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by Ryguy
THUNK..i meant to do that
United States, KS, Andover
Joined Jan 2006
296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudderAuthority
DUDE I took red cross lifeguard corse for 150$ now I get 8.15$ an hour for a 30 hour a week summer job raking me in about 2k so I can afford it

I'm a lifeguard too, in the summer I make about $7-7.50 an hour, working 40(+) hours a week. Thats plenty of money, but I still have to save for a car and plan for college. Part of the problem right now is I'm not working yet, so I am completely broke.

I guess I'm backwards too. I got my Dad into RC, and always buy him new foamies for fathers day, Christmas, etc.

Oh well, guess I'll just keep enjoying my Katana and my Reflection.
Ryguy is offline Find More Posts by Ryguy
Old 05-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by analog_boy
just another model junkie
Morinville, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
740 Posts

Well i have been in this for a while now(since 7). I am only now just getting the money to get some decent equipment. I just landed an aprenticing job or atleast pretty sure(i go to meet the new boss tomorow). That should be about 15+ dollars an hour. Im talking some serious cash soon. I worked all last summer to afford my 50ccer that im just finishing getting all the equipment. But hopefully by next spring will be able to afford the 100incher o yeah.
analog_boy is offline Find More Posts by analog_boy
Old 05-08-2006, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by pitviper51
Burn Gas.. Bend wings.
Kentucky
Joined Apr 2006
9,354 Posts

just wait till you have to buy gas, it sucks!!!!!! gett all you can while you have the chance!
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old 06-22-2006, 02:56 AM
Find More Posts by sp1nm0nkey
Joined Jun 2006
1 Posts

I've been getting internships at various companies doing programming work. First two jobs have been 10 bucks an hour, I'm hoping this next one will be around 15-20 an hour. Odds are most kids who have 40%ers have parents that are willing to support them.
sp1nm0nkey is offline Find More Posts by sp1nm0nkey
Old 06-22-2006, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts

I was lucky to get my 40% from my parents and granddparents. I referee soccer matches and I will make almost 200 dollars a weekend when a tournament comes into town. But regular weekends I will make about 30-50 dollars a weekend. We usually have around 5 tournament a year. I did help pay for the smaller stuff for the plane. But there is no way in this world I would have been able to pay for the motor or servos.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old 06-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Find More Posts by adrian
Israel, Tel Aviv
Joined Jan 2006
2,931 Posts

you need a mom and dad like mine - lol - and work and build like a monster!!!
adrian is offline Find More Posts by adrian
Old 06-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Find More Posts by lil3Dmasta
Joined May 2006
20 Posts

The parents no doubt play a big part in buying these big gas planes. My dad is in this hobby with me and he has payed for my 60 size planes and we have talked about the gas planes.
lil3Dmasta is offline Find More Posts by lil3Dmasta
Old 08-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Find More Posts by Imdbombboarder
Joined Apr 2006
11 Posts

Im 16, and I work at a grocery store as a bagger. This might be pretty obvious, but the one thing that I found out that helps me, no matter what my interests are, hobby wise or whatever, they are always in something I can sell later, to get money back. I mean, I was into skateboarding(dear god, what a waste of 4 years) and I sold my skateboards to get money back. I play golf, and have been able to sell old clubs etc, that kind of stuff is really helpful, if you can scramble to get another job etc. I have to wait to get my license till september, when I can take drivers ed(they dont trust me driving ) then that will be another expense I suppose, haha by then ill have my Funtana done!

Anyways, I am lucky though, my parents do give me maintence money, like for fuel, and other things for my planes. Not planes, but he told him that if I am really interested in something, he will support me financially. So, I guess I luck out with that. Though, i am new to RC. I have 2 flying planes, 3 non flying. I have a Cessna 182 that I got with a combo pack on tower hobbies for Christmas, and I got a slowstick, which needs soldering which im on good at, an extra that im going to sell because the surfaces are just too dang small, and a Quickie 500 racer which I am going to get done, right after I finish my Funtana which im building now. They probably wouldnt help pay for it, but when my friends were out partying etc, I was building something with Rc, or playing Flight sim, or something thats more constructive then that. They only do it, just because im doing something that is constructive, and that is a postive hobby. My dad is real nice about taking me out to our field. Its 20 min away, he doesnt fly or anything, but he just sits and watches.

Anyhow, some parents are just more generous then others, and some people just have multiple jobs. I only have 1, but I just learned to only invest in something that can either make me money, or that I can sell back for money, which is a good life lesson!
Imdbombboarder is offline Find More Posts by Imdbombboarder
Old 08-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by GremlinX
Father of the Scale Furum
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

There is no substitute for schooling. Very few wealthy people are self made, though its possible. Schooling is step 1 to making a good living!!!
GremlinX is offline Find More Posts by GremlinX
Old 08-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Find More Posts by robsotelo
GREAT ODENS RAVEN!!
Mercer Island, Washington
Joined Jan 2006
135 Posts

its all about the benjaminssssssssssssssss
robsotelo is offline Find More Posts by robsotelo
Old 08-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Find More Posts by aviti
St Louis, MO
Joined Jan 2006
1,468 Posts

Why would you need a giant scale plane when you are a teenager? It's like turning 16 and expecting to get a brand new Porshe. Sure, it would be awesome but in due time. In the meantime, get a bunch of electrics or profiles. Not much money and tons of fun. By them time you can afford a gasser, you will have the skills to do it justice. Those of us guys who can afford the gassers wish we were 18 again so we could drink tons of beer and run around and chase hot girls, but we are just lucky our wives allow us to buy big RC planes....
aviti is offline Find More Posts by aviti
Old 08-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Find More Posts by RudderAuthority
BigHuckinTrick3D!
North Augusta South Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
288 Posts

Well aviti, I really want to start competing in IMAC for serious and I tried fidiling around with my stik but it was so unstable and just bounced around in the wind. There was hardly anyway to make it look pretty. I am now fortunate enough to have a 25% underpowered GP patty wagstaff with a 3w 24i. It is rock solid stable and does manuvers like a dream and GREAT for IMAC basic. Even though it has a hard time getting the heighth it needs on humpty-bumps and stall-turns I work with it. I hope that I might ask for money for christmas and sell my 3w-24i and get up enough money to buy a new 3w-55ius .

I think there is no way to get involved in IMAC without a giant spirit and giving up a lot of things. I'm giving up ALOT just so I can have a competitive chance in the sport I love.
RudderAuthority is offline Find More Posts by RudderAuthority

Quick Reply