Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Find More Posts by gapple12
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
Well, it floats.....

I set the plane up and checked the CG tonight and was blown away that it was dead on from before the floats. I did notice that one float sits lower in the water by about a 1/4 inch. So I measured the floats and one float is slightly taller. Oh well..............Looks like maiden Saturday morning before Easter.
gapple12 is offline Find More Posts by gapple12
Old 04-03-2012, 06:40 AM
Find More Posts by sherman89
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapple12 View Post
Well, it floats.....

I set the plane up and checked the CG tonight and was blown away that it was dead on from before the floats. I did notice that one float sits lower in the water by about a 1/4 inch. So I measured the floats and one float is slightly taller. Oh well..............Looks like maiden Saturday morning before Easter.
Go for it!!!!! I really think you will need more water though, that pond looks pretty small that your plane is sitting in. We are going to maiden a 60% L-4 on floats today, it flew yesterday on wheels.
sherman89 is offline Find More Posts by sherman89
Old 04-03-2012, 07:26 AM
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman89 View Post
Go for it!!!!! I really think you will need more water though, that pond looks pretty small that your plane is sitting in. We are going to maiden a 60% L-4 on floats today, it flew yesterday on wheels.
Well, I might be able to harrier it in to that pond....lol...My son was sitting at the window waiting for the plane to be moved so he could jump back in.

Hope you get video of the 60%.
Last edited by gapple12; 04-03-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Find More Posts by komrom
Cut Em' Loose!
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Jan 2009
274 Posts
Weekend Float Flying

Hey guys, got a chance to maiden the 60% L4 on floats this past weekend. Sherman89, aka Rob, was a great host down in Morriston, FL. Underdog my dad, and myself made the 24 hour trek from WI. The weather was great and I was able to get some great shots of Shermans 40% super cub and our L4 on floats. We have some tweaking to do, but overall it flew well and should be a great time once we get some more stick time. I'll probably put together some video that was shot as well. Come see us at Joe Nall, we have another float plane surprise that will be showing up there as well.

I also threw a shot in there of our new Pawnee. It will soon become a float plane as well.
komrom is offline Find More Posts by komrom
Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
Wow, awesome pics guys, looked like a fun day.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Find More Posts by flying skunks
FFAA for Life
Flying with the Best of Friends
Joined May 2006
19,622 Posts
Holly Craps , that Cub is HUGE ...
flying skunks is offline Find More Posts by flying skunks
Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by UNDERDOG
Floating Around
Joined Oct 2008
96 Posts
Like Komrom said, A big THANKYOU to Sherman89, ( Rob Grant ) for helping us out. Last year at the Nall , Komrom (Matt) and I were putting our first 40% cub on floats through its paces and Rob popped onto the scene to check it out. Best thing that could've happened. Rob is a long time full scale float plane pilot , origionally from Ontario, Canada and really taught us the correct float plane skills. Has we all left last year, the2012 Nall was in our plans and talk of hooking up over the winter at his Florida home location. That was his second mistake, we built a 60% this winter and needed to get it inspected and some flying time before the 2012 Nall, so A phone call to Rob and we were on our way. Not only did he help us get the plane airworthy but put us up for three days at his place. His wife Deb was an awesome chef and showed my wife the local shopping stops.

This experience reminded me of an article Sleep C wrote a while ago describing the freindships and fun times that can come out of this hobby. Also connects with the current thread discussing old times and memories, no time better than now to create the next set of old memories. Anyway, thanks again Rob for the hospitality and congrats on your second place finish in the Ocala, Florida Imac contest this past weekend.

Underdog
UNDERDOG is offline Find More Posts by UNDERDOG
Old 04-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by Colton
Now taking maneuver requests!
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Mar 2010
2,447 Posts
Good stuff! Love how much taller the 60% is on floats too. That just really brings the size of it home.
Colton is offline Find More Posts by Colton
Old 04-06-2012, 05:20 AM
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
[QUOTE=UNDERDOG;1707614]Like Komrom said, A big THANKYOU to Sherman89, ( Rob Grant ) for helping us out. Last year at the Nall , Komrom (Matt) and I were putting our first 40% cub on floats through its paces and Rob popped onto the scene to check it out. Best thing that could've happened. Rob is a long time full scale float plane pilot , origionally from Ontario, Canada and really taught us the correct float plane skills. Has we all left last year, the2012 Nall was in our plans and talk of hooking up over the winter at his Florida home location. That was his second mistake, we built a 60% this winter and needed to get it inspected and some flying time before the 2012 Nall, so A phone call to Rob and we were on our way. Not only did he help us get the plane airworthy but put us up for three days at his place. His wife Deb was an awesome chef and showed my wife the local shopping stops.

This experience reminded me of an article Sleep C wrote a while ago describing the freindships and fun times that can come out of this hobby. Also connects with the current thread discussing old times and memories, no time better than now to create the next set of old memories. Anyway, thanks again Rob for the hospitality and congrats on your second place finish in the Ocala, Florida Imac contest this past weekend.

Underdog,
You and/or your family are always welcomed at the ranch any time----very gracious guests-----we had a blast---wished they could have stayed longer and got the surprise maidened. Guy's----I gota' tell you that the L-4 is huge on floats----I mean huge as in very big!!!!!! It was very enjoyable to watch Bob and his son Matt work together and----no yelling---no fights---it was a pleasure to be around them and watch them putting these big planes together. Youall' have to see this big baby at the Nall/12, stop by and join in on the fun------I know for shade I can park my 40% cub under one wing. I will be there with my tonka toy-----geeeeshhhh---at one time I thought my 40% cub was huge now it has been demoted to the little plane class. And yes, the wife's had a great time doing their thing-----women really do shop till they drop.
Matt----great group of pictures----thanks for posting them----Ken is sending me a CD of what he shot---I will get a copy of to you. Can't wait to see the video. That Mintor 220 sounds so sweet in the Pawnee, you have to let me have a go one day on it----even though you have been warned!!!!!!

Sherman89
Old 04-06-2012, 07:45 AM
Find More Posts by HunHunter
dont put 'er in the dirt!
Brandon, Fl.
Joined Aug 2010
1,527 Posts
please tell me you guys will have these at nall...
HunHunter is offline Find More Posts by HunHunter
Old 04-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunHunter View Post
please tell me you guys will have these at nall...
For sure!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Find More Posts by HunHunter
dont put 'er in the dirt!
Brandon, Fl.
Joined Aug 2010
1,527 Posts
okay cool, i have an airplane called a rick stick on floats.. its just like an ordinary stick on floats pretty much, its rtf and i just havent had the time to fly it.. do you think they would say something if i flew it at nall once? or one of you guys fly it for me? ive never flown a float plane, thats why..
HunHunter is offline Find More Posts by HunHunter

Quick Reply