logo
Old 01-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Find More Posts by STR8HUCKIN
Lodi CA
Joined Jan 2006
411 Posts
Re: 3D Training

To properly balance an airplane simply pull up to a 45 and roll inverted..... the plane should slightly dive... if it goes up your too tail heavy.....3d is so much more than hovering you have to practise each move over and over again un till you have it down then you can assemble a few practiced moves together into a 3d flight.... also I try to make sure that with each flight I am trying to work on a particular move instead of just flying around and banging the sticks if you want to become good you have to let go of the fun for awhile and simply practice and if you love 3D your gratifcation will come with success
STR8HUCKIN is offline Find More Posts by STR8HUCKIN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Find More Posts by notorious_benny
IMAC wannabe!
Griffith, NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
3,458 Posts

Hey Rusty!! I just got my first faomy going last week. Really great practice especially for torque rolling! Mine goes around quite a lot faster than my 2.6 Yak.

I learnt to hover my Sledge 540 first. But my 2.6 Yak is what I used to learn the torque roll properly, it is just so much slower and forgiving once you get it into the groove. But like Mick says you need a big set of Cojones.

I would definitely recommend you build a profile as they are a little more like flying the big guys than a foamy is. Well my foamy anyway!!!!! I have all the templates and plans for one if you would like them, they even come with an illustrated colour manual!!
notorious_benny is offline Find More Posts by notorious_benny
Old 01-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Find More Posts by 66stang
Fly it like you hate it!
Collinsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
4,925 Posts

I have been flying just over a year. I started with a Sig Kadet Senior, great plane. I now fly all types.. from electric's to Giant Scale P-51's... I have found the Accel Hobby Katana an awesome plane to learn.. I've also found that once you doink it and the newness wears off, is when the real fun begins.. I'm now starting to tourqe roll.. Dam hard to do.. I also use the shockfliers.. Another good way to get quick on the sticks is to fly in the wind.
66stang is offline Find More Posts by 66stang
Old 01-14-2006, 12:17 AM
Find More Posts by Ramz
Flying Circles
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie
I have a 33% 260,,, 28% 540,,, foames and i dont have a clue on how to set the planes up for 3D..Should they be balounce dead level or what.....
STR8HUCKIN made a good point about balancing the center of gravity but don't forget to balance it laterally as well (side to side). A good way to tell is to fly inside and outside loops. Assuming everything else is setup properly, when you are doing your loops. the heavy wing will drop. Add weight to the light wing and repeat until satisfied.
Ramz is offline Find More Posts by Ramz
Old 01-14-2006, 12:25 AM
Find More Posts by TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

I really brought it down low with an F40 back in the day, if I am working on something new now, its usually with my Comp-Arf 2.6m, because it is the most forgiving and really performs in all aspects. Other than my big birds, I like to take the F90 out every now and again and give it a good beating. It really is the best glow plane I have ever owned, I have a video of it here in the vid gallery. Definetly a great bird to learn new tricks on, and get them real low without caring. You can check out the video here: https://www.flyinggiants.com/gallery...to=251&cat=504
TheTank is offline Find More Posts by TheTank
Old 01-14-2006, 12:37 AM
Find More Posts by 66stang
Fly it like you hate it!
Collinsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
4,925 Posts

Nice fly'n Tank... I have a Saito 100 & JR 811s would this work in this plain... Or would the servos be to weak on 6V?
66stang is offline Find More Posts by 66stang
Old 01-14-2006, 12:47 AM
Find More Posts by TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

I am a big JR guy, but Im not a fan of the 811s (i have had a couple fail). My F90 has Futaba 3010s in the rear on a regulated 6 volts, and Hitec 645MGs in the wings. The 3010s are 90oz.in at 6v and are only like 25 bucks a pop. The 645s are 133oz/in and are around 35 bucks a pop. You could get away with 3010s all around. The 3010s are the first futaba servos I have ever owned, and I have been very happy with them in this application, strong and fast. The Saito 100 on 30% nitro will be ok if you are near sea level. You really dont need tons of power unless you love hovering alot, thats the only place it might be marginal in the pull-out area. Other than using ball links all the way around, I used the stock hardware 100%, everything was fine.
TheTank is offline Find More Posts by TheTank
Old 01-14-2006, 01:04 AM
Find More Posts by JeeUm
United States, NY, Wading River
Joined Jan 2006
4,494 Posts

Nellie, tell us about your 33%260,is it the one in your avatar?
JeeUm is offline Find More Posts by JeeUm
Old 01-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by RustyTumbles
Time for something New......
Newcastle NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
5,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious_benny
Hey Rusty!! I just got my first faomy going last week. Really great practice especially for torque rolling! Mine goes around quite a lot faster than my 2.6 Yak.

I learnt to hover my Sledge 540 first. But my 2.6 Yak is what I used to learn the torque roll properly, it is just so much slower and forgiving once you get it into the groove. But like Mick says you need a big set of Cojones.

I would definitely recommend you build a profile as they are a little more like flying the big guys than a foamy is. Well my foamy anyway!!!!! I have all the templates and plans for one if you would like them, they even come with an illustrated colour manual!!
My ultrafly outrage arrived at home about two weeks ago. Once the DA's in the extra I'll be putting it together and givin' it a whirl. Should be a blast, I have heard the are pretty dam tough so it should last abit longer than your yak did.

I am interested it putting a profile together. I did have a sig fazer but I smashed it doing waterfalls. I don't want to get back into glow motors so an electric conversion would be great.
RustyTumbles is offline Find More Posts by RustyTumbles
Old 01-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by xtremeRCpilot
MR.INVERT3D';)
Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,023 Posts

Hi Rusty, You,ve had some great advice!!! The one Plane that boosted my 3D experiance with little repair and down time was my EPP foamies!!! Try nesail.com and slofly.com both have great epp planes and will take a huge beating...The AFPD is a great compliment to your 3D advancements!!! SAFE LANDINGS!!!!
xtremeRCpilot is offline Find More Posts by xtremeRCpilot
Old 01-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Find More Posts by RustyTumbles
Time for something New......
Newcastle NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
5,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeRCpilot
Hi Rusty, You,ve had some great advice!!! The one Plane that boosted my 3D experiance with little repair and down time was my EPP foamies!!! Try nesail.com and slofly.com both have great epp planes and will take a huge beating...The AFPD is a great compliment to your 3D advancements!!! SAFE LANDINGS!!!!
Yeah this place is full of great advice. The outrage should be a great learning tool. I can't wait to get home and get back into flying. I've been out of action for about 4 months now... But there's not long to go now
RustyTumbles is offline Find More Posts by RustyTumbles

Quick Reply