Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > General Discussion
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 04-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #16
Jaketab
Doo It! Doo It!

GMD,

I only use this method on large props - 30" or larger. Screws are #2 buttonhead 3/16" length. I use a 1/16" drill to start a pilot hole. Make sure you don't drill near the prop bolt hole. Before driving the screw, a use drop of thin CA. Any void created by the screw with be stronger with the CA and screw in place. When using this method, you can spread the screws over a larger area on the hub to avoid a weight mass on just one location.

On another prop I balanced, I used washers for added weight. This reduced the # of screws needed. Don't know of any reason to remove the screws when the prop is balanced. If you do remove them, just fill with epoxy/microballons.

Jaketab.
Jaketab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #17
racer rob
Flyin' Around

Hey Capt. Roll I like that idea with the lead tape,i am going to order me some of that thanks for the idea

Rob
racer rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #18
Ohio AV8TOR
Just Do It

Quote: Originally Posted by racer rob
View Post
Hey Capt. Roll I like that idea with the lead tape,i am going to order me some of that thanks for the idea

Rob
Whats nice about using the lead tape is the fact that it is an adhesive and with the slight curl from the wrap of the roll you can just lightly tack it on in case you need to re-position. I just did a 3.5" carbon spinner tonight for my 50cc Extra and you can spot them on the outside until you get it balanced and then transfer them to the inside.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
ant
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

You can get it at Dick's Sporting Goods. Think I'm going to try it.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=3070364

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...uctId=12798943
ant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #20
Ohio AV8TOR
Just Do It

Golfsmith as well

http://www.golfsmith.com/search?Ntt=lead+tape

We use the 1/2" at work but that 1" could come in handy.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline   Reply With Quote