Find More Posts by JCFLYR
Team Chaos
United States, MI, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
Programming wise it's a leap above both of them
That's always a bonus when it comes to programming.
JCFLYR is offline Find More Posts by JCFLYR
Old 01-23-2016, 04:51 PM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Scale Aerobatic Pilot
Joined Jul 2011
4,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
Origin mixing and the .5% mix value were the ones I was thinking of but I also seem to recall they came out with a new "special" firmware for the G1. Thought perhaps the "special" firmware may have had those things added to the G1 but not sure.

Wayne
Nope, those three FW differences are reserved for the DX18G2 and 18QQ only.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=34492
PropsnWings is online now Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Old 02-01-2016, 08:00 PM
Find More Posts by CZorzella
Joined Jun 2012
13 Posts
Deleted.
CZorzella is offline Find More Posts by CZorzella
Last edited by CZorzella; 02-01-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:47 PM
Find More Posts by Phil Heninger
Lethbridge Alberta
Joined Jun 2006
21 Posts
Dose anyone know how to program a snap condition into the dx 18 without having to throw a switch in order to do a proper snap in IMAC. I have moved up to intermediate and it seems at this point the dx 18 in not capable of snap condition without a switch. At present I have to throw a snap switch on and off 8 times throughout the intermediate sequence. this is very annoying to say the least when all of my competitors using futaba radios do not have to throw a switch for snaps.
Phil Heninger is offline Find More Posts by Phil Heninger
Old 02-09-2016, 01:40 AM
Find More Posts by jonnyflyhead - Ozzy
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2016
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Heninger View Post
Dose anyone know how to program a snap condition into the dx 18 without having to throw a switch in order to do a proper snap in IMAC. I have moved up to intermediate and it seems at this point the dx 18 in not capable of snap condition without a switch. At present I have to throw a snap switch on and off 8 times throughout the intermediate sequence. this is very annoying to say the least when all of my competitors using futaba radios do not have to throw a switch for snaps.
Is this for increased throws?
jonnyflyhead - Ozzy is offline Find More Posts by jonnyflyhead - Ozzy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old 02-09-2016, 06:48 AM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
2,204 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I had a snap condition on my DX18. You will need to use the Combo Switch function in for example an Ail-> Ail mix to to increase Aileron travel only when the proper stick input is there.

Personally, after using it for a year, I found it much easier to simply have precision, snap and 3D flight modes which only adjusted dual rates and expo for a specific class of maneuvers and then simply fly the maneuver rather than burying the sticks in the corner.

Wayne
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old 02-09-2016, 09:02 AM
Find More Posts by dick hanson
murray utah
Joined Jan 2006
2,493 Posts
Snap switches -- an idea which really causes more problems than it resolves
along with the inverted flight switch which once adorned some tx.
If all snaps required the same inputs (which is not true) a switch may work but the setup as noted above (snap,precision and 3D) will in the long run work better for you.

I have a slider on my tx which moves from low-med to high giving three groupings of throw and expo. Tx is DX9 and I can switch groups with just sliding my ring finger The new DX20 has this setup but vertically oriented on rear of tx
Horizontal snaps require most throws - vertical up down lines MUCH less rudder and elev and if it's windy the game again changes
my suggestion, forget about snap switching it will end up driving you nuts trying to find the magic setups.
dick hanson is offline Find More Posts by dick hanson
Old 02-09-2016, 05:49 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Feb 2006
3,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post

Personally, after using it for a year, I found it much easier to simply have precision, snap and 3D flight modes which only adjusted dual rates and expo for a specific class of maneuvers and then simply fly the maneuver rather than burying the sticks in the corner.

Wayne
That's the way I do it so I can bury the sticks and concentrate on stopping the snap where I want it. I fly Futaba as well as a JR 12X and a DX-18QQ. The Futaba will do it on a stick position and some friends are playing with that but I've not wanted to get on that setup so I still use a three position switch as Wayne mentioned here.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 02-13-2016, 11:35 PM
Find More Posts by Phil Heninger
Lethbridge Alberta
Joined Jun 2006
21 Posts
To clarify what i am doing now is moving the triple rate switch to snap mode then manually doing the snap as required for each snap but i have to switch back to regular rates for all other moves that are not snaps. Reg rates alone, make for a very deep snap slowing down the line speed .
So Wayne, if I can create a snap condition or (boost) just by burring the sticks without using a switch yes that would reduce my work load immensely!!
Can you teach me further please???
I called horizon support 3 times but they are stumped it seems.
Phil Heninger is offline Find More Posts by Phil Heninger
Old 02-13-2016, 11:40 PM
Find More Posts by fixedwingonly
Watch This!
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Nov 2009
337 Posts
subed. I fly a DX18 as well. I'll be flying sportsman this year. Snaps are not my strong point, will be learning also Phil.
fixedwingonly is offline Find More Posts by fixedwingonly
Old 02-14-2016, 07:20 AM
Find More Posts by flabrija63
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined May 2010
263 Posts
couldn't you just put a big tweak on your expo(s) and accomplish this???
flabrija63 is offline Find More Posts by flabrija63
Old 02-14-2016, 07:32 AM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
2,204 Posts
Quote:
To clarify what i am doing now is moving the triple rate switch to snap mode then manually doing the snap as required for each snap but i have to switch back to regular rates for all other moves that are not snaps. Reg rates alone, make for a very deep snap slowing down the line speed .
So Wayne, if I can create a snap condition or (boost) just by burring the sticks without using a switch yes that would reduce my work load immensely!!
Can you teach me further please???
I called horizon support 3 times but they are stumped it seems.
Look at this thread http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=82091

Post #14.

Wayne
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old 02-25-2016, 04:09 AM
Find More Posts by Ara Tidwell
Go invisible pink unicorn!!!
From Austin, TX currently in Stigler, OK
Joined Nov 2006
418 Posts
Gag post****

I wanted to complain about my new Spektrum DX18 and the included Spektrum ar9020 receiver. My first complaint is about the 11ms vs 22ms frame rate. I wanted to know why would Spektrum design a radio that only supported 11ms frames only in the first 4 primary channels as online users repeatedly inform us about despite the error in the manual that states 11ms is fully supported on the first 10 channels. My other issue is that the receiver did not bind for the first 5 minutes I tried to bind the ar9020 to the dx18. It turns out that because of the double stacked plug rails both sides of the receiver include markers for the bind port and active channel. I had the bind jumper in the active channel instead of the bind port. Spektrum should allow the bind jumper to be plugged into either port since it is clearly easier to send the whole radio and receiver back to Horizon and post complaints on the Internet than to double check the markings on the receiver and plug jumper into the correct port. The gimbals are clearly smoother than my Jr x9503 but I really recommend the Futaba, which I have never used, because some guy with an 18MZ said his gimbal are better. I bought the DX18 gen 1 for $499 and got the $50 rebate in the mail shortly after but clearly if I had bought the $1400 Futaba I would had been better off, because after all it is a well know fact that setting up the perfect rudder to elevator and aileron mix is much easier accomplished with a color lcd screen. Why would Spektrum even make a DX18 gen 1 with ar9020 for $499 when for the same price you can get a DX9 with no receiver. With Futaba you have a large selection of garage based businesses selling power expander boards for large scale applications while Spektrum offers their PowerSafe series receivers with two large guage ec3 battery ports. Clearly Spektrum is bad for the economy as it hurts small business and Hobbico/Great Planes owned by the Chinese are smart enough to not feature high amp RX's knowing it would put these board makers out of business despite the boards only add about 10 extra eletrical points of failure. Despite the DX18 gen 1 having upgradable firmware, they refuse to come out with an update that will let the radio talk to me. Spektrum is obviously stealing from Futaba's trademark, both companies use orange logos. The Jeti radios are obviously superior, their name sounds kind of like jedi and because no one uses them that makes them so superior to Spektrum. The other thing that drives me crazy is the 2600mah 7.4v lipo, if I don't have to charge my radio after every weekend how do I continue having a close personal relationship with my radio when I don't have to service/charge it between flydays. The radio comes with a charger with adapters for AC outlets in almost every country, but if I ever go abroad how can I be sure the charger with adapter really is international compatible when with another radio brand I could order a new genuine charger only for radios sold in the respective country. Anyone want to buy my dx18, I'll give you a good deal on it. ps anyone have any recommendations for a low interest credit card with at least a $1500 limit?

Well that sums it up, Spektrum and the DX18 sucks.
Ara Tidwell is offline Find More Posts by Ara Tidwell
Old 02-25-2016, 10:35 PM
Find More Posts by Ara Tidwell
Go invisible pink unicorn!!!
From Austin, TX currently in Stigler, OK
Joined Nov 2006
418 Posts
I actually seriously found a genuine DX18 factory flaw... the end points were not calibrated correctly on all flight sticks... centering was perfect but signal would reach 100% before the stick reaches lock... at first I thought I had really crappy servo's on my chinaware Taft Viper V3 EDF but I discovered the issue was the radio stick calibration and not the servos. Calibration was very simple and issues were resolved instantly as verified by the OSD accessible by moving the roller one click from the main start screen. Not a big deal but it still makes no sense that the radio would ship with early end-points.
Ara Tidwell is offline Find More Posts by Ara Tidwell