logo
Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by 13BRotary
Joined Feb 2011
45 Posts
Discussion
Speed question

I know this is an extremely generic/probably unanswerable question but here it goes:

My only giant scale is a H9 Yak 54 w/ a DLE 55 on a Xoar 23x8. I've always wondered how fast it is at full throttle, straight and level. I know it's not a speed plane, nor do I really care how fast it is just something I've been curious about.

Also what about 150-200cc 3D/IMAC planes? It's tough to judge when the airframes get bigger/farther away.

And no, my next question is not going to be how much do they cost or how high can they go...
13BRotary is offline Find More Posts by 13BRotary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Find More Posts by vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,505 Posts
I would guess around 70mph is about average?..........?
vmceachern is offline Find More Posts by vmceachern
Old 04-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Find More Posts by 13BRotary
Joined Feb 2011
45 Posts
That's kind of what I was thinking, seems like 70ish is about accurate.
13BRotary is offline Find More Posts by 13BRotary
Old 04-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Find More Posts by Solo 56
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
My Aeroworks Yak 54 with a DA 50 and a Vess 22B was clocked at 85 mph. A friend has a small radar gun and we were checking different airframes. My 30cc MSX-R with an an 18 x 8 was clocked at 106 mph. A friends AW 85 cc Yak with a Mejlik Carbon prop went 108 mph.

It all depends on the airframe/engine/prop combination and the day (cool or hot weather)
Solo 56 is offline Find More Posts by Solo 56
Old 04-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
I have flown some planes with a test model of the spektrum telemetry unit and a dx18 and 70mph straight and level is about right for a 50cc. 35-40% planes easily exceed 100mph straight and level set up for 3d. With higher pitch props they are faster of course. The bigger planes can appear slower but are actually travelling quite a bit faster.
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Old 04-13-2012, 11:29 AM
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,505 Posts
I have a House of Balsa FW190 on an e-flight 480 3s system and does right at 100mph,clocked. And I use it to gauge against other planes. Was told by the big warbird guys it just looks fast cause it is small. Then I went up and got in formation with them and found I was actually a little faster than they were. Yeh just looks fast.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Riley O'Brien
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
There are some problems with using hand held "lidar" to clock rc planes so I would take those numbers with a grain of salt. They can be manipulated by the angle the plane is flying at and also if the plane is not traveling in a straight line(zig zag or up and down)A speedo that is actually inside the plane is going to be more consistant.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker View Post
There are some problems with using hand held "lidar" to clock rc planes so I would take those numbers with a grain of salt. They can be manipulated by the angle the plane is flying at and also if the plane is not traveling in a straight line(zig zag or up and down)A speedo that is actually inside the plane is going to be more consistant.
I agree with what you've stated. When we did the clockings, we made passes at no more that 10 to 15 feet above the ground, straight and level and made repeated runs to back up the data........even with all that said, there is still room for error.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 AM
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker View Post
Yes you are correct so my numbers are an average of about 25 fly bys. Don't understand why my guy kept moving out of my way?
Old 04-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmceachern View Post
Yes you are correct so my numbers are an average of about 25 fly bys. Don't understand why my guy kept moving out of my way?
Exactly.....The guy taking the readings always stood behind the pilot .......no faith, I guess. It was still fun to get an idea of what speeds we were approaching .
Old 04-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Riley O'Brien
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmceachern View Post
I'm not saying you are wrong...your numbers seem pretty close to what I have observed as well.

Some turbine guys here fly at a full scale airport in a small town nearby and they had a local sheriff/friend park his car on the runway as they did some fast passes right over it...sounded like a good idea at the time.

Another time at our field a guy brought a handheld lidar and wanted to clock some planes...he happened to be in a electric wheelchair...Luckily after the first attempt he decided it was a bad idea.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by Silvanskii
Get Some!
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Jan 2006
398 Posts
My XFC race plane turns ~140 mph straight and level at our local field over a couple hundred feet with timed runs.
Silvanskii is offline Find More Posts by Silvanskii
Old 04-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by lizzardman
United States, MD, Riva
Joined Apr 2010
376 Posts
My 30 inch foamy was clocked at 32 degrees BTDC with a timing light. It has a Boss 426 flathead Windsor Hemi inline 6 radial outrunner wedge.
lizzardman is offline Find More Posts by lizzardman
Old 04-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
United States, OR, Eagle Point
Joined Oct 2009
1,137 Posts
Honest Officer, I wasn't speeding, and you couldn't know because you didn't average 25 runs and measure the cosine of the line of sight and and I was changing lanes and ....

Here, sign your ticket.
CatalinaWOW is offline Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
Old 04-13-2012, 02:05 PM
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinaWOW View Post
Honest Officer, I wasn't speeding, and you couldn't know because you didn't average 25 runs and measure the cosine of the line of sight and and I was changing lanes and ....

Here, sign your ticket.
Exactly!

Quick Reply