logo
View Poll Results: Use Std Ultracote or Ultracote Parklite for 2X4 Glider?
Use std Ultracote for the added durability. 1 50.00%
Use Ultracote Parklite for light weight & best performance. 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Find More Posts by SrTelemasterTyro
Who's Up 4 Strokin' It?
United States, NY, Brasher Falls-Winthrop
Joined Feb 2012
96 Posts
Poll
Use Std Ultracote or Ultracote Parklite for 2X4 Glider?

I'm building a small sailplane for my grandaughter.

49 1/2" wingspan, probably 4 channels (rudder, elevator & 2 channels for aileron diff) W/Hitec 05S micro RX & HS-55 servos. I am going to use 1 micro servo in each wingtip for aileron differential & whatever size Nmh battery pack in the nose that will balance it out.

I am considering using Ultracote Parklite for covering to keep weight down. It's spec'ed @ 28oz W/1983 era radio equipment (2 servos). The author quoted 10oz for his radio equipment.

Is the weight savings of the Ultracoat Parklite worth the diminished durability? A roll of standard Ultarcote wieghs about 3.6oz while the roll of Parklite weighs about .5 oz. Since I will use almost all of the roll on the plane, I can save nearly 3oz AUW by using the Parklite.
I figure that I can save about 8oz total W/the lighter batteries/radio equipment & covering.
SrTelemasterTyro is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemasterTyro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Find More Posts by AEAJR
Thermal Hunter
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2008
255 Posts
The weight of the roll is only useful if they are exactly the same size rolls and have the same weight tube inside.

The weight savings are probably not worth the difference in durability.
AEAJR is offline Find More Posts by AEAJR
Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Find More Posts by rcpilot82
KAD Laser Cutting
Western, pa, usa
Joined Mar 2006
3,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrTelemasterTyro View Post
I'm building a small sailplane for my grandaughter.

49 1/2" wingspan, probably 4 channels (rudder, elevator & 2 channels for aileron diff) W/Hitec 05S micro RX & HS-55 servos. I am going to use 1 micro servo in each wingtip for aileron differential & whatever size Nmh battery pack in the nose that will balance it out.

I am considering using Ultracote Parklite for covering to keep weight down. It's spec'ed @ 28oz W/1983 era radio equipment (2 servos). The author quoted 10oz for his radio equipment.

Is the weight savings of the Ultracoat Parklite worth the diminished durability? A roll of standard Ultarcote wieghs about 3.6oz while the roll of Parklite weighs about .5 oz. Since I will use almost all of the roll on the plane, I can save nearly 3oz AUW by using the Parklite.
I figure that I can save about 8oz total W/the lighter batteries/radio equipment & covering.

Info gathereed from HH website:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...red-HANU866#t1
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...e-red-HANU0815

True red standard ultracoat = 0.30 oz/sq.ft.
True red parklite ultracoat = 1.07 oz/sq. YD (this equates to .119 oz/sq.ft.)
Based on using the whole roll, no waste (78"x23" or 12.458 sq. ft.) toal weights would be..

standard: 3.737 oz of material
parklite: 1.483 oz of material
savings would be 2.254 oz per roll

IMO since you are using standard equipment and it is for a child, I would use standard ultracoat for durability. That being said the thickness of the materials are different however I could not find data on standard ultracoat.

standard: Not listed?
parklite: 13 microns thickness
rcpilot82 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot82

Quick Reply