logo
Old 08-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Find More Posts by Cracky
WHATS CRACKALAKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,312 Posts
Re: H9 35% 260....its cheating to call it a build thread!!!!!

Well when I left work it was pretty breezy. My thoughts about doing the maiden were leaving my mind and I was trying to figure out when would be my next chance. the closer I got to the field the less wind there seemed to be. I pulled into the parking lot and the wind was probably blowing a good 15mph. I also noticed a friendly face, Huckin Chickn was there with his V2 foamy Yak. Many of you will remember the V1 foamy Yak that Max tried his hardest to destroy at the STL Huckfest. I've flown in much harder winds so I went ahead and pout the 260 together, checked the batteries and put some fuel in her. With the help of HC I got some fuel into the broken in DA100. With the start of the timer on the transmitter I was off. Plenty of power from the DA to get the 260 airborn. It took 2 passes for me to get her trimmed out. When I set all of the surfaces I didn't have a angle meter so I used the TLAR method. Obviously I was off some. I'll fix the subtrims and try it again later.

One of the first things that I noticed about this plane is how clean it is. All of my previous planes have had nice big fat wings. This H9 260 has some thin wings that track through the air very well. The plane holds speed much different than my previous planes. I will just need a couple more flights to get used to how she cuts through the air. I only had her up for about 5 minutes. Just doing basic flight, trying to get comfortable with the new airframe. I had not weighed the plane before the maiden so I was a bit curious as to how its power to weight would be. Well from upright I pulled to a vertical line at about half throttle, once I established my vertical line I cut throttle and let the plane slow down to just about a tailslide. At that point I'd hit the throttle and see how fast she recovered. It took no time before the plane was on its upline again. I did this several more times with a grin on my face. The ailerons and elevators were very effective. I didn't play with much rudder in stall conditions, but KE was done very well. I did not set up any mixing on the plane at all. Once I get to fly it with little or no wind I'll see what, if any she needs. It can't be much if she needs any. I can't wait to get her out again.
Cracky is offline Find More Posts by Cracky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-24-2007, 12:25 AM
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,312 Posts

Well now I wish I could say that the maiden went off without a hitch. I mentioned in my previous post about how clean the airplane is. Well I set it up for approach just like I would my 40%. Well this plane likes to fly much more and was coming along at a pretty good pace. I set her down at just past the halfway point and she was bleeding off speed. Well she ate up most of the grass and was heading for the beans so I fed in a little left rudder to help her slow down. Well on that end of the field there are a couple of small ridges in the field. I ended up skipping across one of them at what I thought was a pretty slow speed. It bounced the plane and came down on the right main gear and bent it back. Not really a major issue, but an issue none the less. I think I'll be able to bend it back and it should look alright until I can get some replacement gear and wheelpants. Such is life.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:04 AM
Find More Posts by madmax
The Michael Jordan of RC
United States, CA, Aliso Viejo
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts

Tis but a flesh wound Cracky! Cool flight report, and build! Look forward to seein' more!
madmax is offline Find More Posts by madmax
Old 08-24-2007, 07:46 AM
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,312 Posts

For sure, I'm going to be flying the snot out of it Labor Day weekend. I'll try and get some video of it. I can tell that its going to be a real fun plane!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 07:50 AM
Find More Posts by rc4flying
Hermitage, Pa
Joined Jan 2006
2,884 Posts

Well Dave, It sounds like a good movie with an ending that you are unhappy with. Smile, it could have been worse.

Sounds like you like the plane alot and can't wait to get comfortable with it.

Now, Sleepy, he has left the door open for a spot free maiden from you. The challenge is on. Let's get that bird in the air.
rc4flying is offline Find More Posts by rc4flying
Old 08-24-2007, 07:52 AM
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,312 Posts

Joe, I was just happy to get mine in the air before Sleepy did. He can give me crap for the rest of my life about the gear. LOL
Old 08-24-2007, 08:11 AM
Find More Posts by rc4flying
Hermitage, Pa
Joined Jan 2006
2,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfick View Post
Joe, I was just happy to get mine in the air before Sleepy did. He can give me crap for the rest of my life about the gear. LOL
Good one Sometime, some things are worth taking a little sh** over just to get one on your buddy. I love it, but paybacks can be a bit**.
rc4flying is offline Find More Posts by rc4flying
Old 08-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,312 Posts

Sleepy will be in good hands on Saturday......wait, that didn't sound right.....

One thing that I am going to do is to cut down the nylon wing bolts. Those front ones are tucked under the lip of the fuse where I have my batteries and with my big hands they are a pain to put in. I'll probably end up swapping them out for the ones that can be used with a hex driver.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by 1bwana1
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

Cracky,
I had a 100cc AeroWorks YAK that I had trouble slowing down, most notably on landing. It also cost me some bent gear. i thought it was the wing design like you. I was running the same prop that you are, the NX 27 X 10. I switched to the Mejzlik 28 X 10 CF prop and the whole plane changed. Nice and slow on the down lines, great power transitions, and slowed down perfectly for landings. Try changing the prop, I'll bet this plane will like it.

-Steve-
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old 08-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,312 Posts

Steve, thanks for the heads up. I was planning on trying out a new prop or two on this bird. I have a Mejzlik 32x10 on my JTEC and I like it a lot. I'm toying with the idea of trying out one of the Mejzlik 27x12th props.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Nov 2006
2,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bwana1 View Post
Cracky,
I had a 100cc AeroWorks YAK that I had trouble slowing down, most notably on landing. It also cost me some bent gear. i thought it was the wing design like you. I was running the same prop that you are, the NX 27 X 10. I switched to the Mejzlik 28 X 10 CF prop and the whole plane changed. Nice and slow on the down lines, great power transitions, and slowed down perfectly for landings. Try changing the prop, I'll bet this plane will like it.

-Steve-
If you want slow and steady, try a Biela 26 x 10 3-blade!! That's what I have on my AW 100cc Yak and DA 100.

TDD (aka Bobby)
The Dirt Doctor is offline Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Old 08-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by bodywerks
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,341 Posts

Hmmm...never had a problem slowing any of my planes down, especially giant scale stuff. I don't see how this plane will be any different.
bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by bodywerks
Old 08-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,312 Posts

Bodywerks, I didn't say that it was a problem, it is just a little different than the plane that I currently have.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Find More Posts by cesar781
Brazil, São Paulo, Palmeira d'Oeste
Joined Mar 2007
365 Posts

hei I think maybe you guys can help me with my extra 300 .
I got extra 300 1.60 with 40cc engine with 20x8 prop and the airplane come in too fast .I change the prop to 20x8 bolly but stell fast, I don't know what to do
Could you guys help me?
cesar781 is offline Find More Posts by cesar781
Old 08-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Find More Posts by GremlinX
Father of the Scale Furum
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

Sounds like my normal Maidens. They go home in one piece, but broken pride! Glad you liked it. I am looking forward to mine.
GremlinX is offline Find More Posts by GremlinX

Quick Reply