logo
Old 11-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Find More Posts by flyguy2
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
494 Posts
OK guys I sent the servo with the first firmware update back to Mike today so he can check some things out. There where a few problems with it but this doesn't mean we are going to say I told ya so or bash....isent that right guys?
I am happy enough just knowing they are trying to improve there servos.

I ran this servo on the aileron in the garage for about 10 min the first day and the second day I ran it again to find the jitter was slightly present and with in 5 min. it was back full force again. So I shot some footage of it on the programmer this time to remove ALL DOUBT in regards to my setup, linkages, radio, receivers etc.
I can hardly wait to test Rachael's hardware fix out next!
Stay outa trouble now guys.
after first firmware update by Hitec (2 min 10 sec)
flyguy2 is offline Find More Posts by flyguy2
Last edited by flyguy2; 11-17-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Find More Posts by Super08
Who put that tree there?
Fort McMurray AB
Joined Mar 2008
7,126 Posts
It sure doesn't take much to get it shaking.
Super08 is offline Find More Posts by Super08
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 12:23 AM
Find More Posts by Swerv
Flyin' Around
Joined Jul 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsflyboy View Post
Mrs. R,

You should be marketing your self to Hitec for you superior engineering skills. Make them pay for the information. Hopefuly they will integrate your fix to build a better product and make us all happy Hitec users.

no translator needed
Swerv is offline Find More Posts by Swerv
Old 11-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
494 Posts
The jitter doesn't show up much until the servos get up to operating temperature. I wonder if the firmware update was tested "cold" at Hitec?
Last edited by flyguy2; 11-18-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:12 AM
Find More Posts by MODE 1
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
Well if cryogenic cooling is required to keep them stable theres no way Hitec will offer that as a free fix. Yer looking at half a million per servo easy. LOL is like a bad dream for someone.
MODE 1 is offline Find More Posts by MODE 1
Old 11-18-2011, 08:20 AM
Find More Posts by rcpilot82
KAD Laser Cutting
Western, pa, usa
Joined Mar 2006
3,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy2 View Post
OK guys I sent the servo with the first firmware update back to Mike today so he can check some things out. There where a few problems with it but this doesn't mean we are going to say I told ya so or bash....isent that right guys?
I am happy enough just knowing they are trying to improve there servos.

I ran this servo on the aileron in the garage for about 10 min the first day and the second day I ran it again to find the jitter was slightly present and with in 5 min. it was back full force again. So I shot some footage of it on the programmer this time to remove ALL DOUBT in regards to my setup, linkages, radio, receivers etc.
I can hardly wait to test Rachael's hardware fix out next!
Stay outa trouble now guys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YecJz...ature=youtu.be
After all this thread has been through, and the bad press Hitec has gotten, WHY on earth would they send you a servo that goes defective after the equivilant of a few flights?? You were not even running 2S direct (7.4) to the servo and it failed!

Hitec, do yourself a favor, take a new servo, perform the fix, and bench cycle it non-stop for a week. Then you will have the equivilant of 480 15 min.flights(5 days) or 672 15 min. flights(7 days). Tell the engineers to forget thier pride, and fix the damn servos!
rcpilot82 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot82
Old 11-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
The jitter doesn't show up much until the servos get up to operating temperature. I wonder if the firmware update was tested "cold" at Hitec?
How did you get it up to operating temperature? Did you just have to leave it powered up for a while or did you need to do something like apply a load to the servo for a prolonged period of time? Also, did you receive multiple servos with the firmware fix and can the jitter be reproduced on all of them or just this one ? Inquiring minds want to know
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old 11-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot82 View Post
After all this thread has been through, and the bad press Hitec has gotten, WHY on earth would they send you a servo that goes defective after the equivilant of a few flights?? You were not even running 2S direct (7.4) to the servo and it failed!

Hitec, do yourself a favor, take a new servo, perform the fix, and bench cycle it non-stop for a week. Then you will have the equivalent of 480 15 min.flights(5 days) or 672 15 min. flights(7 days). Tell the engineers to forget their pride, and fix the damn servos!
To be fair yes I ran 7.4 at first when the jitter began then drooped down to a 6.5 . I would not in any way say the testing I did was equivalent to a flight in any way. Flight loads of a 40% plane are much greater.

Rachael has preformed her fix and tested my servo for 17 hours of continuous testing with varying weights on the arm and is solid as a rock, the other ones she has repaired are the same
one servo has been running since she went into hospital Denise put batteries on charge and change them every time they discharge down 75%
that's over 168 hours and no problems.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Find More Posts by jonkoppisch
United States, AL, Semmes
Joined Jan 2006
810 Posts
Looks like its waving.... Bye, bye!
jonkoppisch is offline Find More Posts by jonkoppisch
Old 11-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkoppisch View Post
Looks like its waving.... Bye, bye!
You didn't see the vid I shot of it waving the white surrender flag er little toilet paper square in the air. lol . I was having fun with it...I'll keep that in my own archive hehehe
Old 11-18-2011, 08:33 AM
KAD Laser Cutting
Western, pa, usa
Joined Mar 2006
3,084 Posts
Quote:
Rachael has preformed her fix and tested my servo for 17 hours of continuous testing with varying weights on the arm and is solid as a rock, the other ones she has repaired are the same
one servo has been running since she went into hospital Denise put batteries on charge and change them every time they discharge down 75%
that's over 168 hours and no problems.

THAT is a real bench test.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Find More Posts by MODE 1
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
Tavis. Whats the lump you have on the rod there? Wondering if it was heavy enough to set up an oscillating effect between the dead band points during low load. If its stopped , does it start up again on its own without a prompt?
MODE 1 is offline Find More Posts by MODE 1
Old 11-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
How did you get it up to operating temperature? Did you just have to leave it powered up for a while or did you need to do something like apply a load to the servo for a prolonged period of time? Also, did you receive multiple servos with the firmware fix and can the jitter be reproduced on all of them or just this one ? Inquiring minds want to know
OH..well I just stuck in the microwave for a few thats all...lol kidding of coarse!

To get it up to operating temperature I just exercised the servo by wiggling the sticks on the transmitter moderately for about 2 minutes the only load being just the weight of the aileron. It was already warm when I pulled it out of the wing to shoot footage of it jittering on the Programmer at 4.8v

I was sent only one.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:50 AM
KAD Laser Cutting
Western, pa, usa
Joined Mar 2006
3,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MODE 1 View Post
Tavis. Whats the lump you have on the rod there? Wondering if it was heavy enough to set up an oscillating effect between the dead band points during low load. If its stopped , does it start up again on its own without a prompt?
Good thought there, Now has anyone ever weighed an aileron at the tip to see what an average "dead weight" is? the only catch to that is for example I know my Monocoupe aileron weighs more than Tavis's 40% aileron, but a 35% aileron is less than both. All of theses scale surfaces are targeted at the 79xx servos, so does weight really matter as long as it is in reason?
Old 11-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot82 View Post
Good thought there, Now has anyone ever weighed an aileron at the tip to see what an average "dead weight" is? the only catch to that is for example I know my Monocoupe aileron weighs more than Tavis's 40% aileron, but a 35% aileron is less than both. All of theses scale surfaces are targeted at the 79xx servos, so does weight really matter as long as it is in reason?
If a servos going to jitter its going to jitter.

This should answer your question.
I shot a vid of and old 5955 the same day on the same jig with the same wire and counter weight. It will not jitter at all even after warming up. It has over 500 flights on it. I even plugged a 7.4v lipo up to it though my receiver! I have never run that kinda voltage to one of them before but it still would not jitter! I will post it later I got to run right now. Have a good day guys!

The counter weight is just a Phillips attachment for a drill approximately one ounce. The wire is extremely stiff and fastened tight to the servo arm with no play.Everything was tight.
Last edited by flyguy2; 11-18-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Quick Reply