logo
Old 04-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Building a 10' Yellow Rose
United States, TX, Spicewood
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
Discussion
Twin Cylinder engine help

I am looking for a good twin cylinder 50cc ish engine that will fit in an Aeroworks Extra 300. Any thoughts on the Boxer 55?
Daveyrt is offline Find More Posts by Daveyrt
Old 04-27-2012, 05:35 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Dec 2011
3,267 Posts
rcgf makes a 50cc twin. DlE is coming out with a 60 twin, and DA a 70 twin.

there are a few other 50-60cc twins out there you just gotta hunt
Huckin Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
Old 04-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
Thanks for the information...I had contacted DA about their twin 70...but got no real delivery date. I think I really would like a twin and for my first step above 30cc...can you say apprehensive about hand flipping 100cc.....
Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 AM
1/2 scale
Canada, BC, Pitt Meadows
Joined Oct 2006
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyrt View Post
can you say apprehensive about hand flipping 100cc.....

Don't be apprehensive or afraid, be very respectful of the engine and prop and have your full concentration when flipping the prop. Don't be talking to someone....concentrate! As long as the timing is not out of whack, the big engines start just like the smaller ones.
mogman is offline Find More Posts by mogman
Old 04-30-2012, 07:38 AM
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
Well that is a comfort...is there a prop position before TDC that is best...I know in the glow days there was a place you could up your chances of not getting bit! And since you don't start the engine on Choke is there a procedure you go through before starting off choke. And ... are the twins easier to flip or same as a single.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:45 AM
1/2 scale
Canada, BC, Pitt Meadows
Joined Oct 2006
147 Posts
This is what works for me.......with the engine just coming up on compression, bolt the prop on at the 1.00 o'clock/7.00 o'clock position. Choke on, ignition on, high idle position, flip untill the engine runs briefly. Choke off, set to idle, flip with some authority, after a few flips it should run. Just pay attention to what you are doing and you will be fine....MAKE SURE THE PLANE IS RESTRAINED...EITHER TIED DOWN, OR SOMEONE HOLDING IT!!! Singles or twins...same procedure. I always wear a heavy leather glove, makes it easier on the hand.
As I said, this is how I do it, maybe someone else will chime in with their method. You will eventually develop your own method.
Be safe,
Good luck.
mogman is offline Find More Posts by mogman
Last edited by mogman; 04-30-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 AM
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,076 Posts
1/7 oclock position with motor at TDC.. flip through the prop meaning flip and make sure your hand continues past the prop arc.
If you do this, you are fine. Oh and always have someone holding the plane or if your field has the large well sunk in the ground main wing restraints I'd feel ok to prop up a plane like that.

The whole stab thing scares me with 150cc+ planes, as I have seen a plane start and go to WOT and rip off a stab... it was scary!
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 04-30-2012, 10:43 AM
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
377 Posts
Not a fan of people standing over the tail either.. I have seen people trip over the fuse especially like on my 40% it's a big step deffinately need restraint.. My DA150 starts really easy just as everyone said 1 and 7 o'clock and good solid flips and focus... Starts right up but don't get complacent or give Half hearted flips that's when you get bit... As far as ease of flipping... My DA100 is like butter the 150 takes some butt and my friends DA85 takes some power to flip as well
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 03-27-2014, 09:18 PM
Brest fed till the age of 35
United States, WI, Racine
Joined Sep 2008
1,701 Posts
Rick1999 is offline Find More Posts by Rick1999