Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > General Discussion
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
raflyer
Gettin' Lower!

Default 40% Build questions

Got a few questions for the experts on my first 40% build. Note: This is being built for IMAC and not Extreme 3D flying.

1) Do you guys put weights in the counter balance tab on the elevators? I would think it would help the servo/servo's on the elevators. The real planes do this to prevent flutter. I am only going to run one servo per elevator half. Was thinking it would help?

2) Would 1" control arms on the servo give me enough throw for IMAC flying?

3) For you guys who remove the stab's every time between flights, are you using stock connectors for servo's? They holding up ok?

4) You making your own extensions for the servo's or buying them. Concerned about multiple connectors becoming choke/failure points.

Thanks for the input!
Rob
raflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
SleepyC
Thanks for the Support!

Awards Showcase
Japaleno Bad Ass: This is to say thank you for donating  funds to help bring Wesse to the 09 Joe Nall! - Issue reason: WERD! FlyingGiants Good Dude Award: For stepping up to the plate, being a part of a fundraising effort for a good cause. Thank you. - Issue reason: Thank you very much for helping with the recent donation drive. Brass Balls Award: For having sack.. - Issue reason: For having the SACK to photochop two of the most respected names in the hobby into precarious photographs. See http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showthread.php?p=90555 Platinum Diamond Studed Steaming Fabergé Turd: The SleepyC award. Enough said. - Issue reason: Because you, Sleepy, are a triple Platinum Daimond Studed Steaming Faberge Turd! In a good way of course! LOL! 300+ post thread, and took it like a man! 
Total Awards: 4

Quote: Originally Posted by raflyer
View Post
Got a few questions for the experts on my first 40% build. Note: This is being built for IMAC and not Extreme 3D flying.

1) Do you guys put weights in the counter balance tab on the elevators? I would think it would help the servo/servo's on the elevators. The real planes do this to prevent flutter. I am only going to run one servo per elevator half. Was thinking it would help?

I have never put weights in, and I don't know any one that has.

2) Would 1" control arms on the servo give me enough throw for IMAC flying?
Depends on your final throw. 1x1 resolution seems like overkill now hat servos are so powerful.
But the most resolution per throw you need is the best way to go for IMAC.

3) For you guys who remove the stab's every time between flights, are you using stock connectors for servo's? They holding up ok?
100's of removals, attachments no issues.

4) You making your own extensions for the servo's or buying them. Concerned about multiple connectors becoming choke/failure points.
Making them takes time, but exact size = AWESOME!

Thanks for the input!

Rob
see above
Flyinggiants.com Podcast #4
Join me as I speak with:

Rocco from Aeroworks
Andrew Jesky - AJ Aircraft
Tony Russo - Desert Aircraft
Steve Thomas - Bobs Hobby (Falcon/Xoar props)
Steve Kalaf - Futaba
Frank Noll - Futaba’s 2014 XFC

Just follow the link and download or listen!
FG PODCAST #4 LISTEN NOW!
SleepyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
raflyer
Gettin' Lower!

Cool thanks! I planed on making my own extensions and good to hear the stock connectors are holding up. Still wondering on the balance on the elevator's. Only down side would be some weight in the tail end of plane which is a LONG way back from the 0 datum point.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
Bunky F. Knuckle
I'm done!!! Your loss!

I wouldnt worry about balancing elevators.

Proudly sponsored by www.buddyrc.com
www.taildraggerrc.com
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
raflyer
Gettin' Lower!

Only thing that concerned me was I read where a guy had some flutter issues with one servo on an elevator. Who knows how fast he was going or what other important details were left but just something I read.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #6
Mithrandir
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

I have an SX with a single S9156 Futaba Digital on each elevator and WFO with a 3W 170 on L90K's..... no flutter....

no mass balance.....

if you have a 300+ oz*in torque servo and a stiff tail... oughta be OK
Mithrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
Bunky F. Knuckle
I'm done!!! Your loss!

Servo linkage geometry has alot to do with flutter or no flutter.

I fly a 35% Carden 330S Extra at WFO and no problems. JR 8611a's, 1.25 arms and 2S lipo direct.
And a Dalton 42% Extra 300 with a 3W 157 and used JR 8711 and 8911's. Haven't flown on 8911's yet, but have over 300 flights on the 8711's and no issues. 1:1 geometry, now. It was set up before for mechanical advantage.

Proudly sponsored by www.buddyrc.com
www.taildraggerrc.com

Last edited by Bunky F. Knuckle; 04-24-2012 at 12:46 AM. Reason: another bird.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:15 AM   #8
hangingbach
RCX-Head of Design

I have experimented with weights in the counter balance. Quite a lot of weight is required to balance these stabs out on a 40% plane. It would definetly reduce the load on the servos. But i didnt feel any performance change in the air, with weights and without. Battery consumption might have gone down a bit but i found that irrelavent. The question that could be asked is, by doing this can you get away with a less powerful servo hmmm. i dont know, didnt experiment with that either as i found it more of an academic question then a practical one. my 2 cents.

PS:- we use single servos for our 42% sbach on each elevator. We have not encountered any flutter issues at high speeds.
hangingbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
boggintuff
Sigh...really?

HIGHLY recommend these for the wings...I also use them for battery connections too.

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/thun...c-174_175.html

or the Multiplex ones from TDRC

http://www.taildraggerrc.com/servos-...xtensions.html
boggintuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
raflyer
Gettin' Lower!

Quote: Originally Posted by boggintuff
View Post
HIGHLY recommend these for the wings...I also use them for battery connections too.

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/thun...c-174_175.html

or the Multiplex ones from TDRC

http://www.taildraggerrc.com/servos-...xtensions.html
Very nice solution! Thanks!!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
Pileit Ed
Flyin' Around

I agree with SleepyC!
Pileit Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
vatechguy3
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

1) no weights in elevators.

2) i use 1 inch arms on the ailerons and elevators on both my 40% cardens. I used a 2 inch arm for the push pull rudder but i use the 1.75 inch hole.

3) for the stab connections i use standard connectors but i use parsons clips for security.

4) tried making my own for custom length. Couldnt get the crimps to hold good. Now i order custom length extensions from radicalrc for servos and batterys.

Tony
vatechguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote