logo
Old 02-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by JIMZACH
WELLINGTON,FLORIDA USA
Joined Mar 2006
567 Posts
I opted to use a header tank on my carden with the 200 as well. I went with a CAT or compositer air trap, normally used by the jet guys. It holds an extra 8oz of fuel which isnt alot but also keeps fuel in the line no matter what position. And i get the added bonus of supreme filtration of fuel to engine as well as no air bubbles.
JIMZACH is offline Find More Posts by JIMZACH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by vatechguy3
United States, VA, Smithfield
Joined Jan 2006
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMZACH View Post
I opted to use a header tank on my carden with the 200 as well. I went with a CAT or compositer air trap, normally used by the jet guys. It holds an extra 8oz of fuel which isnt alot but also keeps fuel in the line no matter what position. And i get the added bonus of supreme filtration of fuel to engine as well as no air bubbles.

Got any pics of this setup??

Thanks
Tony
vatechguy3 is online now Find More Posts by vatechguy3
Old 02-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by Henry Piorun
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooman View Post
Henry,

A single fiji bottle install is lighter than what you are doing with the two tank set-up,
I thought you were trying to save weight as much as possible ?
That mid-range issue you talk about can be fixed by installing a set of pro-flow cans, that thread speaks for it's self with all the testimonials.
I know and there's really no good reason for not using one and I probably should have gone that way. But even the Du-bro tank is 6oz lighter than what I was using. I guess I can always install one later.
I know that is the way to fix the crappy mid-range on the 170, that's the reason I bought the Pro-flows in the first place. However shortly after that I just decided to go with the 200 instead.
Henry Piorun is offline Find More Posts by Henry Piorun
Old 02-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMZACH View Post
I would like to see a picture of that too, if you have one.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Before I can glue in the tank mount permanently I wanted to install the throttle servo, there are so many places you can mount these. This time a chose an easily accesable place just behind the cannisters. I will use some sort of "tube pushrod" set up, I found an old "snake drive" throttle cable and might use that.
The servo sure looks small in there!
Old 02-29-2012, 02:08 PM
WELLINGTON,FLORIDA USA
Joined Mar 2006
567 Posts
I have just ordered it and do not have it installed in the plane. I have a picture of the CAT i pulled form the net, i got mine from dream works rc.Name: cat_product.jpg
Views: 397
Size: 143.2 KB
Description:
Old 02-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....
United States, PA, Home
Joined Nov 2006
3,941 Posts
Whats inside that little bugger ?
rooman is offline Find More Posts by rooman
Old 02-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,664 Posts
Magic!
eheliflyer is offline Find More Posts by eheliflyer
Old 02-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
That's cool, I wish I had known about that thing before I finished the tank installation.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Here I have added a couple of small peices of 1/8 plywood for the servo screws to grip into.
I have also sprayed the tank mount with a little grey primer, I'm going to do this to the inside of the fuse also. I know this adds a little weight but I have always really liked the look of a "finished" interior fuse. So I decided to go ahead and do it on this airplane.
Last edited by Henry Piorun; 02-29-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 PM
WELLINGTON,FLORIDA USA
Joined Mar 2006
567 Posts
I think it's a filter of some sort, they use them in jets for filtering and keeping air bubbles out the line. I got the idea from my dad. I saw him using one his jet and thought it would be cool on my Cardenas.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by borealnw
life is good
United States, OR, Gresham
Joined Feb 2009
591 Posts
Hey Henry

I have another silly question. On the tanks system you are using two lines feeding the carbs. Also I am assuming the lower tank is being feed and kept full by "gravity from the upper tank? if so wouldn't you need a stopper to have four holes in it? 2 for the carbs. 1 for the fill from top tank to bottom tank and then another for the vent. You would need to vent both thanks wouldn't ya.
borealnw is offline Find More Posts by borealnw
Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Find More Posts by vatechguy3
United States, VA, Smithfield
Joined Jan 2006
2,305 Posts
No. The bottom tank vent line goes to the feed line on the top tank. Then the top tank is vented.

You want to ensure the bottom tank has no air.

Tony
vatechguy3 is online now Find More Posts by vatechguy3
Old 02-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealnw View Post
Hey Henry

I have another silly question. On the tanks system you are using two lines feeding the carbs. Also I am assuming the lower tank is being feed and kept full by "gravity from the upper tank? if so wouldn't you need a stopper to have four holes in it? 2 for the carbs. 1 for the fill from top tank to bottom tank and then another for the vent. You would need to vent both thanks wouldn't ya.
Hey Jeff
Yes it's just like the other guy said. The hopper tank has the two lines running to the carbs and one line running to the feed line of the main tank. The main tank is vented normally. I fill both tanks through a tee fitting attached to one of the lines running to one of the carbs. So when you are fueling up the hopper tank fills up first then fills up the main tank, it then over flows like normal. Hope that makes sense?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
OK, so here are a couple of shots of the finished interior of the fuselage. I know that this adds a few ounces of weight but I really like this look, so it was worth it to me. I was so excited about painting it I forgot to weigh the fuse before I started so I can't give you a before and after weight.
It takes a little time to mask everything off but it was actually really easy to do. I first sprayed a very light coat of grey primer, just enough to cover the wood color. I let that dry and then sprayed a very light coat of Krylon "Make it stone" textured paint. This stuff covers like crazy so you need very little to get the effect. The can I used still seems full so I don't think I added much weight at all.
Anyway the tank mount is permanently glued into the fuse, I also installed some sticky backed Velcro to the tank supports, (the fuzzy side). I will use the opposite Velcro side on the tank once I do the final tank install. The fuse is now ready for the belly pan, fin/rudder installation and the turtle deck. All coming up next....
Last edited by Henry Piorun; 02-29-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Quick Reply