logo
Old 08-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
why the rudder input on the downline....??

I just do a downline left roll.... with some throttle ratcheting for fun and then suddenly input right rudder and down elev... in addition to the left aileron... all high 3D rates of course.... once the flat spin is a turn or two in.... center the ailerons..... a few more rotations... and then center rudder.. (Hold the full down elev) add power and fly away inverted.....
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, GA, Canton
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
I just do a downline left roll.... with some throttle ratcheting for fun and then suddenly input right rudder and down elev... in addition to the left aileron... all high 3D rates of course.... once the flat spin is a turn or two in.... center the ailerons..... a few more rotations... and then center rudder.. (Hold the full down elev) add power and fly away inverted.....
Thanks for the great explanation. I'm getting ready to try this and found it very helpful. Recently learned flat spins and KE spins so feel ready to point the plane straight down with power (gulp!). H9 30% Carden Extra 300
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 08-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
beware the Blender breaks planes.it is real hard on the tail of the plane,broken vertical stabs,elevators,counter balances.
all of these I have broken at one time.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 08-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Dec 2011
3,287 Posts
Quote:

I'm not saying put rudder on the downline. I do it just like you. I'm talking about transitioning from inverted flat spin to an upright spin.
Huckin Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by FoamieAirfarce
Joined Nov 2011
2,894 Posts
Quote:
So it will snap? According to the Wamsy video on the previous page the 'Snap Roll' portion of the maneuver is what makes it a Blender. @ 1:08 secs into the video he even terms it the 'Blender Part' of the maneuver. Everything else is 'entry' and 'exit'. Without rudder it's just an aileron roll ninety degrees down under power?

Unless this maneuver is like the Lomcevak, where there once was a 'standard' way it was performed by Ladislav Bezák and then it morphed through individual interpretation to where rarely any two pilots fly it the same way?

I'll guess I'll Google around a bit and get a consensus of how it's done. Right now I think the snap is what gives it visual appeal and makes it look 'difficult' which, if flying it real time is anything like the sim, it isn't.
FoamieAirfarce is offline Find More Posts by FoamieAirfarce
Old 08-06-2013, 06:41 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetguy View Post
beware the Blender breaks planes.it is real hard on the tail of the plane,broken vertical stabs,elevators,counter balances.
all of these I have broken at one time.
My plan is to start at low throttle settings and work my way up. If the plane breaks then I need to get a stronger one as this style of flying is where I'm going. After seeing that plane wrap around itself during KE spin at WOT, I'm hooked. Will definitely proceed with caution though!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Find More Posts by bobzilla
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Apr 2006
2,541 Posts
I cannot find a logical reason to abuse my $3000 plane in such ways. I will stick with traditional flying.
bobzilla is offline Find More Posts by bobzilla
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 AM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
it's just with the throttle on is where it begins to get fun.the more you let it spin on the down the more throttle you add,thats where things start to break.i don't do them like I use to with WOT and let it spin as fast as I could get it on the down.i never lost a plane doing this but have landed with just one half of hoz.stab and elev. gone.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 08-06-2013, 07:57 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,287 Posts
Sounds like you need a "beater plane"

I agree with you though, Bob. I love putting my Edge through the ringer, but I do cringe when I think hat this is my pride and joy. But for me, that's where the excitement and fun is.

Foamy and mith: you do not need any rudder on the downline prior to the blender. Mith is correct. Howeve, foamy, you are right in that you will need rudder during the actual blender. The OP is incorrect about slot feeding in rudder. You want to apply a quick full rudder then push to full down a split second later. Then flatten out that aileron.

Think of it as the sticks neutral on a downline. You will want to make a "C" shape with the right stick, and push the left stick hard right.
Left aileron, right rudder (hold that aileron still), down elevator ( hold that rudder and aileron still) then neutralize aileron to slow rotation.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:28 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
This is How Quique describes it on Blaine Austin's site:
use this technique, full down elevator, full right rudder and full left aileron, this is the best sequence too. This sequence needs to be done continuously, this means as soon you reach full down you go right rudder and as soon you get with the rudder to full go with the aileron
Old 08-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Find More Posts by skymaster68
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2006
583 Posts
what about how you make a knife edge spin?
skymaster68 is offline Find More Posts by skymaster68
Old 08-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,287 Posts
Downline, left rudder, full or close to full down elevator. The aileron depends on the plane. Some like a little left aileron, others like it neutral.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
For KE spin my Extra wants full power, full down elevator (3D rate), a touch of left Aileron and some left rudder. It seems left rudder is the most sensitive if it will be successful. I have to start at full 3D rudder and ail but both have to be taken out or it seems to tumble. Once it locks in I am at barely any left Aileron with small bumps to keep it on KE and about half the rudder I used to lock it in. For me, locking it in is the hardest part. I usually do it from a left hammerhead as I am still learning the maneuver and that is a great way to get comfortable with it. Once it locks in and starts spinning around the axis, it is very impressive and fun. I can't hover or harrier very well yet so I just point the nose down and pull out or exit inverted level flight like a flat spin
Old 08-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
I cannot find a logical reason to abuse my $3000 plane in such ways. I will stick with traditional flying.

Ha!! ChickenZilla!!!

he he he he...

so borrow someone elses $3000 plane to abuse!!!!

lol
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 08-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Find More Posts by bobzilla
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Apr 2006
2,541 Posts
bluck, bluck, bluck!!! yours maybe????????
bobzilla is offline Find More Posts by bobzilla

Quick Reply