logo
Old 01-12-2015, 04:44 PM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, GA, Canton
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
You can search and search this topic till your blue in the face but the 2 most common solutions are move the CG back and add a little spoileron to the mix. Like Spats said only a very little bit seems to be what most are doing. I was going to try that this past weekend but a broken prop spoiled all the fun. Everyone always thinks that is a band aid but if it works so be it. Better then a gyro IMO.
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-12-2015, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by Spats
Spats Invitational
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2012
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind1124 View Post
Why would you not want to do that. I mean I am a real world pilot so I can think of a few aerodynamic reasons but models don't always see to follow the real world entirely
I understand what you are saying and like I said in my post everyone will have a reason not to do it. I have learned from experience that I cannot give you a good answer that will make you happy. What I can say is it works and works very well for me. I was given the advice to try it by a few other 3D pilots years ago.

I hope this helps.
Spats is offline Find More Posts by Spats
Old 01-15-2015, 12:14 PM
Find More Posts by westwind1124
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Sep 2010
89 Posts
Ok, so I didi a number of things last night. I checked my elevators first. they look totally spot on and move equally through the whole range except the last teeny bit up. Every thing was synced except max rate on up elevator. But even at that, the difference was so minor. All the way up the right elevator is about 1/32 of an inch higher but outside of that they are spot on. Itried to see if I could mix or program that out but its so small that I can't even make a minute enough adjustment to make it go away LOL.. The difference is so small that had I not taped some carbon sticks to the elevators with the tips almost touching you couldn't even see the difference. Second I added an 1/8 inch up aileron on both sides. They also both move equally. The last thing I check was CG. It was balancing and 3-9/16 aft of leading edge at tips. The manual says the aft limit they tested was 3-1/2 at the tips. So, I don't know what else to do with CG unless someone has experience with this particular/aircraft engine setup with a more aft CG. Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Brent
westwind1124 is offline Find More Posts by westwind1124
Old 01-15-2015, 12:20 PM
Find More Posts by Spats
Spats Invitational
Joined Sep 2012
1,932 Posts
I have had AW planes but not this particular one. I think you are on track, what I would do if it was me is tape some lead to the tail wheel just for one flight to see what that does. If it works then you know what to do and start moving weight to the rear.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Joined Sep 2010
89 Posts
Alright, SO, I finally go to try out those pointers. All of them worked really well. Hover is rock solid now. Slow high alpha flight still has a bit of wing rock when really slow but drastically improved. Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:23 AM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, GA, Canton
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
So are you flying with the ailerons pointed 1/8 up all the time or is it on a switch?
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 02-06-2015, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by Spats
Spats Invitational
Joined Sep 2012
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind1124 View Post
Alright, SO, I finally go to try out those pointers. All of them worked really well. Hover is rock solid now. Slow high alpha flight still has a bit of wing rock when really slow but drastically improved. Thanks for the input everyone.
Good to hear. I know how good it feels to get a plane to fly the way you want.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:06 PM
Joined Sep 2010
89 Posts
They are ALWAYS 1/8 up. I didn't notice any difference in the way it flew at all except the hover and slow high alpha stuff. Huge difference there. Its hard to say specifically what made the most difference since I changed all of them. I would say primarily it was the ailerons and CG change that made the most difference though.

Quick Reply