logo
Old 03-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by Brent G
York SC
Joined Jan 2006
389 Posts
Colton

It was great to watch you fly last weekend! Suckes that you had such a tough weekend. Have you heard back from DA yet. I am going back together with the yak. Finished laying up the new cowl and got most of the fuse repair done last night. Can't wait for you to try it out at Nall.

Karl

This is the first cowl I have pulled using a spray in gel coat. I have to say this is the way to go. This was the best cowl I have ever made. The gel coat is a little heavier than I anticipated but that was due to not knowing how heavy to apply it. Right now it looks like it will be abour 4 oz lighter than my current cowl. By using the gel coat I was able to eleminate the reinforcement of the louver area. I also switched to vinyl-ester resin. That really speeded up the process. I was able to lay up the whole thing in about 6 hours. That is much faster than the several days that it takes to cure the epoxy. I used silmar surf board resin. It is a lot cheeper than epoxy as well. Give it a try. The only draw back is that it can kick pretty fast. But that can be controlled my the amount of mepk hardner used.
Brent G is offline Find More Posts by Brent G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-23-2011, 04:58 PM
York SC
Joined Jan 2006
389 Posts
Probably wandering why the repair. A freind and I were practicing Imac. He was flying it after I finished up my sequence just trying some stuff. He is used to a 40% carden extra that doesn't slow down. He brought my plane in to land (cut the throttle and it is like hitting the breaks) and pulled back the throttle trim a little to far and killed the engine. The yak almost made the field. It knocked out the firewall, took out the gear and broke the cowl. All in all very minor damage. I design my gear to be a weak point. It can handle a rough landing no problem but if something has to break I want it to break clean and in a easly fixed place. By making it the failure point I am able to save the tunnel and the bottom of the airplane. $50 bucks for all the laser cut repair parts (paid for by Yak killer Primo) Plane will be back in the air soon!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by Krazy Karl
Southwest Pa.
Joined Nov 2006
4,003 Posts
The cowl looks gorgeous Brent. Yeah the resins sound good. I will give it a shot. Thanks.

Karl
Krazy Karl is offline Find More Posts by Krazy Karl
Old 03-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Find More Posts by Colton
Now taking maneuver requests!
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Mar 2010
2,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent G View Post
Colton

It was great to watch you fly last weekend! Suckes that you had such a tough weekend. Have you heard back from DA yet. I am going back together with the yak. Finished laying up the new cowl and got most of the fuse repair done last night. Can't wait for you to try it out at Nall.

Karl

This is the first cowl I have pulled using a spray in gel coat. I have to say this is the way to go. This was the best cowl I have ever made. The gel coat is a little heavier than I anticipated but that was due to not knowing how heavy to apply it. Right now it looks like it will be abour 4 oz lighter than my current cowl. By using the gel coat I was able to eleminate the reinforcement of the louver area. I also switched to vinyl-ester resin. That really speeded up the process. I was able to lay up the whole thing in about 6 hours. That is much faster than the several days that it takes to cure the epoxy. I used silmar surf board resin. It is a lot cheeper than epoxy as well. Give it a try. The only draw back is that it can kick pretty fast. But that can be controlled my the amount of mepk hardner used.
Thanks Brent! It was great meeting you. I just got off the phone with Bryan the owner of the Slick and the 170 and he told me to just hang on to the plane until I se him and he'd send the motor in and all that good stuff. The 100cc edge is already back togther minus covering. I didn't have that red or purple so it'll be here next week. I'll have to trade you for a fight at nall. I think you'll get a kick out of this 100cc edge
Colton is offline Find More Posts by Colton
Old 03-23-2011, 05:10 PM
York SC
Joined Jan 2006
389 Posts
Your on! I will warn you I am not a 3D animal. That is why I have guys like you fly my stuff to show off what it can do! That edge looked like a blast. It is modeled after the newer red bull racing edge correct?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by Colton
Now taking maneuver requests!
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Mar 2010
2,447 Posts
Sure is. Well i'm headed back down stairs to work on the project Karl inspired me to work on. I got a 1/4 scale great planes pitts of my uncle because I haven't had a 2 winged bird in a while and following this thread and watching the club pres of that field in Corryington fly that Christian Eagle gave me the itch.
Colton is offline Find More Posts by Colton
Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Southwest Pa.
Joined Nov 2006
4,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Karl I noticed you've been staying at the holiday inn alot lately. You didn't hit you limit on numbers did you? lol I can't believe I was the first person to make that comment. And once again great work. A few pages back where you had it all together with the one leg on seeing all the paint and framework was just awesome.
I've been staying at the Holiday Inn Express because she won't let me back in the house after she comes home from work...
Old 03-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by hubb
Minimalist
Lebanon, OH
Joined Apr 2006
10,687 Posts
You're my hero
hubb is offline Find More Posts by hubb
Old 03-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Karl View Post
I've been staying at the Holiday Inn Express because she won't let me back in the house after she comes home from work...
You need to get home before her and lock the doors.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 03-23-2011, 07:15 PM
Southwest Pa.
Joined Nov 2006
4,003 Posts
Good stuff guys.

Jake came over and went over the Monster12 engine. No longer Moki but Monster12.

He said it looks ok.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:15 PM
Southwest Pa.
Joined Nov 2006
4,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubb View Post
You're my hero
I think it's the other way around..
Old 03-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Southwest Pa.
Joined Nov 2006
4,003 Posts
Got the attachment plates glued on the legs.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Find More Posts by Pittsflyboy
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Dec 2006
1,651 Posts
Moki looks good, love round engines. I bet that 14 cylinder radial makes beautiful music that's sweeeeeet to the ears.

Tom
Pittsflyboy is offline Find More Posts by Pittsflyboy
Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Find More Posts by StaggerBeech450
United States, TN, Lynchburg
Joined May 2007
180 Posts
Nice mantle decor!!

I couldn't find a way to copy the post on another thread by Absolut Yak, but I've linked the thread and a photo below that you might find interesting...

Thread:
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...t=34260&page=4

Photo of Greg Connell's gorgeous Model 12
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...1&d=1300927610
StaggerBeech450 is offline Find More Posts by StaggerBeech450
Old 03-24-2011, 06:13 AM
Southwest Pa.
Joined Nov 2006
4,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerBeech450 View Post
Nice mantle decor!!

I couldn't find a way to copy the post on another thread by Absolut Yak, but I've linked the thread and a photo below that you might find interesting...

Thread:
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...t=34260&page=4

Photo of Greg Connell's gorgeous Model 12
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...1&d=1300927610
Holly Crap is that thing pretty...

Joe Nall could be very very interesting....

Thanks for the link. Just an fyi if you right click on the photo of interest and then save picture as to your computer that gets the image to your computer. Then when you post a message attach the image on your computer with attach icon in advanced mode (the paper clip icon.) That's the way I know how to do it but I'm sure there another way.

Quick Reply