logo
Old 01-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Find More Posts by JPHen
Spotsylvania, VA
Joined Feb 2008
657 Posts
Re: GILES 202 Whatever happened nobody flies these?

Paul - I had hoped adjusting the CG would result in improved performance. Sounds like (at least for this particular model of Giles) the choice of airfoil contributes to it's characteristics. BTW, my giles is an electric conversion, but is only a little over 11.5 lbs (1.94m) so it's not porky by any means.

Do you know the cause of the wing failure?

Joe
JPHen is offline Find More Posts by JPHen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Find More Posts by jmoesdad
Chicks dig the beard
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2007
634 Posts

dude...6:30am and your talking cg? get over to the soccer field and fly. ill bring the 86 qq yak
jmoesdad is offline Find More Posts by jmoesdad
Last edited by jmoesdad; 01-11-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Find More Posts by Paul_B
Sully-sur-Loire, FRANCE
Joined Jul 2008
28 Posts

Hi Joe,

No, the guy told me he assembled the plane as per manual. The aluminum tube cannot shift beyond its nominal position so I suppose his plane had a special flaw. The wing spar or whatsoever.
The Topmodel Giles is good looking for sure but I have some doubts about the aeromechanical design. Mine weighted around 11 lb. It was pulled by a Saïto 180.

Hey jmoesdad there is no special time to talk about CG !
Paul_B is offline Find More Posts by Paul_B
Old 01-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Find More Posts by JPHen
Spotsylvania, VA
Joined Feb 2008
657 Posts

Yeah, I'm slack - won't bring the Giles though...
Old 01-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by JPHen
Spotsylvania, VA
Joined Feb 2008
657 Posts

Paul, thanks for the info. Jeff flies his Yak in an area the size of a poster stamp...
Old 01-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Find More Posts by TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26 View Post
It's a one off 44%Aerotech Giles 202. I built it back when I worked there and finished it after I left. The wing span is a tad over 116", the largest wood Giles that i know of. It IMACs great also. I'll have it back at the Nall again this year for anyone that wants to fly it. my planes are always available for anyone to fly if they want.Rob
That's the one!!!
TheTank is offline Find More Posts by TheTank
Old 01-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Find More Posts by Mr Loopy
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Mar 2007
195 Posts

I'm currently putting a 35% together. Powering it with ZDZ80 on can (if I can work out if I can cut header down).
I think the plane is one of the second lot from WH so it's old.
Mr Loopy is offline Find More Posts by Mr Loopy
Old 01-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Suspended Account
California
Joined Jul 2006
4,329 Posts

Yep, that's the 35% W/H, which was discontinued some time back. It was replaced with a 41% version.

What you have flies very well but keep it light by not adding a bunch of redundant electrical stuff and choke servos. I have the red and white version of that kit and it's still a good flying plane by today's standards. The 80 is a good engine choice.

Set the C/G anywhere from the forward edge to the center of the wing tube. More forward the the front of the wing tube and it lands heavy. Center of the wing tube is just about perfect for 3D with slow and light landings. Going much aft of the center leads to sensitive controls.

You probably have three servo pockets in each wing. If you use good linkage and a strong servo you only need one aileron servo, at the center pocket. Three holes were provided so the user had a choice of using two aileron servos, at the inner and outer pockets, or a single at the center. When the plane was marketed we had a selection metal geared servos such as Hitec 5925 and 5945, along with the JR 8611, Anything like an 8611 or 5955 or 7955 in today's market would be perfect.
Tired Old Man is offline Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Last edited by Tired Old Man; 01-11-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 01-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Joined Mar 2007
195 Posts

The guy I got this off only had it for a few weeks before offering it to me. He got it new from the local hobby shop for $500NZD. I got the ZDZ80 with can for $500NZD. The radio gear is coming out of a friends extra that has only been flown twice and was new for it. The setup I'm getting will be 5955 for rudder, 2 5985 per wing and 1 each elevator. Also smartfly power system sport plus, will be running 2x2200 lipo's for flight and not sure about ignition.
It seems that I might need to cut the header to fit the can so not to interfer with the wing tube. Is this ok? I also have the option of getting a can for a 75cc which is smaller. What would be the best way to go?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Suspended Account
California
Joined Jul 2006
4,329 Posts

Dick Hansen woulod be the man with the answer to a ZDZ exhaust question. No one knows them as well as he does.
Tired Old Man is offline Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 01-12-2009, 01:18 AM
Find More Posts by BTerry
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Dec 2006
1,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Loopy View Post
The guy I got this off only had it for a few weeks before offering it to me. He got it new from the local hobby shop for $500NZD. I got the ZDZ80 with can for $500NZD. The radio gear is coming out of a friends extra that has only been flown twice and was new for it. The setup I'm getting will be 5955 for rudder, 2 5985 per wing and 1 each elevator. Also smartfly power system sport plus, will be running 2x2200 lipo's for flight and not sure about ignition.
It seems that I might need to cut the header to fit the can so not to interfer with the wing tube. Is this ok? I also have the option of getting a can for a 75cc which is smaller. What would be the best way to go?
Which 75cc can are you thinking of using? Some of the smaller cans will work very well, but require at least 12" of header.

I have one of the original Giles kits as well (although it hasn't flown in about 5 years). Mine actually had a smaller canister on a 12" header and the pipe is not enclosed in the fuse. See pics here: http://tinyurl.com/9b4k9j .

BTerry is offline Find More Posts by BTerry
Old 01-12-2009, 03:44 AM
Joined Mar 2007
195 Posts

BT.
That is more or less what I am going to do. Dick sent me pics awhile ago. The otherday made standoffs and will hopefully bolt motor on this weekend. Untill then we are looking for possible problems we may incur. Looking at your pic your can is slimmer than mine.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,474 Posts

Dick built my plane so if you are in contact with him you are in good hands. My can is around 65mm in diameter IIRC.

If the can diameter is a problem, perhaps you can rotate the engine slightly more to lower it below the wing tube. I only say this because I am concerned about messing up the running characteristics of the engine by shortening the header. That said, the ZDZ is plenty of power for the plane so maybe it doesn't matter.

The truth is cannisters don't typically "tune" the exhaust very much, unless the volume is a bit on the small side which will generate a bit of pressure reverbration, similar to the sound wave reflection from an actual "tuned pipe".

Good luck with the plane. It is a lot of fun to fly! Rolls and especially snap rolls are very linear. It isn't super-light like the newer planes but it does fly well.

One mod I would make if I were to build it again is to use a taller tailgear setup. Mine was much easier on takeoff and landing with the tail up a bit higher in the air.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:29 AM
Joined Mar 2007
195 Posts

I don't have the info he want's and his emails are extremely brief ie 1 line.
The engine was last used in a precision aerobatics 35% extra and hovered nicely with good pull out authority. I'll try to leave the header length as is. Will be working on it again on Saturday and will update then.

Cheers
Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,474 Posts

If you need any help I am good at translating. I have known Dick since I was about 11 years old.

Quick Reply