logo
Old 09-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Find More Posts by 401HITMAN
I like Mountain Dew!!
Elkhart Lake WI USA
Joined Jul 2007
407 Posts
When you calculate how many ounces you burn per minute, times the cost of your homebrew, it gets VERY expensive burning your homebrew.

At full throttle I burn 4 ounces per minute, after that there is no more smoke volume gained, in fact I get less smoke as too much oil cools off the muffler. Might as well just pour oil on the aircraft then - it will have the same result.
401HITMAN is offline Find More Posts by 401HITMAN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Find More Posts by Eganwp
Jesus saves!
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Feb 2009
1,025 Posts
Well, as of last night I got it all finished, finally! Man I'm sick of plumbing fiji bottles, lol.

The main 17oz Fiji bottle is in the tunnel. It's vent line I tied into the 2nd 17oz fiji bottle, located in the rear main compartment of the fuse. Works perfectly as I ran several full tests last night! Setup my variable throttle flow rate to just under 4oz per minute as that worked out to be the best smoke plumes from last weekend's testing. Timing it took exactly 9 minutes to empty 34oz of smoke fluid through at WOT. I made a new injector nozzle using larger 10/32nd's smoke tap, filled the end with hot solder while poking 3x 0.48mm diameter holes into it and allowing it to cool. Pump wasn't even working hard, is still turned way down on power for proper flow rate. This is diverting 3 separate streams of spray in slightly altering directions which should really atomize and allow for thorough burning of the mixture in the muffler.

Can't wait to fly it at our big weekend-long fun fly this weekend! I'll post up pics/vid if I get any. 9 minutes of solid smoke is gonna be a lot of fun! These water bottles saved a lot of weight as well, so should be interesting. I made both tanks removable in the event I want to save weight.

Egan
Eganwp is offline Find More Posts by Eganwp
Old 09-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Find More Posts by TimSmith
Account Closed
Joined Dec 2007
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyn3545 View Post
Tranny fluid... the only thing that smokes more than Marvel Mystery Fluid!
The Mystry in Marvel Mystry oil is ,as far as I ve been able to find out is Peppermint oil,and Cinnomon oils.
My Grandpaa used to wear Marvel Mystry oil as Cologn and on special night he wore gun oil.
(this is the truth I tell you )
TimSmith is offline Find More Posts by TimSmith
Old 07-28-2015, 09:06 AM
Find More Posts by Kingcavy
United States, VA, Salem
Joined May 2015
41 Posts
ok here is my vid of my plane with homemade smoke system and home brew smoke oil.
I used 75% baby oil from walmart at $2.20 for a 20oz bottle
and 25% diesel fuel. so 3parts baby oil to 1 part diesel fuel.
my smoke pump is from a $20 rock water fountain home decore display...... with some soldering i was able to install a servo type connection to the pump. pump is rated for 12volts. but im using high voltage receiver at 7 volts per channel, then i realized that when i program a mix to throttle the voltage on the singal wire can be adjusted from zereo up to 7 volts...... pump uses basic brushed motor. more volts faster it works. so at idle its not pumping and as I increase idle it pumps more. I tryed it out on my maiden and was excited to see it working....

I then decided to try to pre heat my fluid first. Taking 1/8 copper tubing i wrapped the exhaust then added thermal tape to help trap the heat

now im playing with my mix to see if i can get thicker smoke....

YOU GUYS PLEASE WATCH VID AND COMPARE TO YOUR MIXES, HOWS DOES IT LOOK?????
Eaton and John J&K TR260 (7 min 18 sec)
Kingcavy is offline Find More Posts by Kingcavy
Old 07-28-2015, 10:18 AM
Jesus saves!
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Feb 2009
1,025 Posts
Looks good! It does look a little thin at WOT, but idle/low thr look good. I would turn up the pump flow about 20% (I tap off my 2s RX lipos) on WOT and test it again. Bank on around 4 mins of smoke flow should be correct.

Also, it had been a few years since I'd played with my baby oil mixes, but the last few weeks I've been at it again on my GP 123 twin. I found that 90% baby oil cut with 10% gives a much better result as well...

Travis
Old 07-28-2015, 10:56 AM
Jesus saves!
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Feb 2009
1,025 Posts
Here's a video from last week when I was comparing my baby oil (cut 10%) vs form release oil (cut 10%) for you:
Homebrew Smoke Oil Skywriting Test (HD) (2 min 58 sec)
Old 07-28-2015, 07:27 PM
Find More Posts by Kingcavy
United States, VA, Salem
Joined May 2015
41 Posts
Thanks I'll try 90/10 next
Kingcavy is offline Find More Posts by Kingcavy
Old 08-30-2015, 11:45 PM
Find More Posts by davidsons
Allen, TX, USA
Joined Jun 2007
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganwp View Post
Here's a video from last week when I was comparing my baby oil (cut 10%) vs form release oil (cut 10%) for you: Homebrew Smoke Oil Skywriting Test (HD) - YouTube
What brand baby oil and what did you cut It with?
davidsons is offline Find More Posts by davidsons
Old 12-07-2022, 01:11 AM View Post
Unifychem
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.

Quick Reply