logo
Old 10-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by LRFitch
United States, WA, West Richland
Joined Sep 2011
217 Posts
Help!
Power Box battery connections

I have a Power Box Royal RRS unit, and need to connect a couple 4000 mah LiPos to it. I see the 6 pin Multiplex connectors that seem to be the power supply connections. Can someone tell me what I connect the "+" and "-" battery leads to? I have a Multiplex socket to use, but not sure which is positive and which is negative. I'd guess all the Power Box units are the same, but not sure about that either.

Thanks,
Larry Fitch
LRFitch is offline Find More Posts by LRFitch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....
United States, PA, Home
Joined Nov 2006
3,941 Posts
If you look close at the plug it will have the + & - markings on it
rooman is offline Find More Posts by rooman
Old 10-09-2015, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by wmat7039
SILVER FOX
United States, GA, Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRFitch View Post
I have a Power Box Royal RRS unit, and need to connect a couple 4000 mah LiPos to it. I see the 6 pin Multiplex connectors that seem to be the power supply connections. Can someone tell me what I connect the "+" and "-" battery leads to? I have a Multiplex socket to use, but not sure which is positive and which is negative. I'd guess all the Power Box units are the same, but not sure about that either.

Thanks,
Larry Fitch
Hi Larry... I have been using the same unit for years with two receivers and it is a VERY ROBUST system.
When connecting the batteries, there is a "hump" on the battery connection.... There is also a "raised section" on the PowerBox itself where the batteries connect. Both batteries plug with the positive (red wire) toward the back of the Powerbox.
If you need any other help.. Just shout.
Wayne
wmat7039 is offline Find More Posts by wmat7039
Old 10-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
Quote:

Thanks,
Larry Fitch
Man, save yourself a lot of headache and just buy the adapters from PowerBox. They come with the mpx end which is one of the mpx connectors that use three pins with a small round "solder connector" if you will, for both the positive and negative leads. I have models with LiPo's and Deans connectors as well as models with A123's and EC3 connectors. You can buy all that stuff from PowerBox. OR.... You can try soldering one up yourself and see how well that goes......
Zeeb is online now Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 10-10-2015, 07:03 AM
Find More Posts by flabrija63
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined May 2010
304 Posts
I'll be using Jeti 5800 Li-Ions on my new build. Come with the connectors already installed.
flabrija63 is offline Find More Posts by flabrija63
Old 10-10-2015, 09:07 AM
Joined Sep 2011
217 Posts
Thanks

Guys, Thanks for the advice. My problem is I don't have the Power Box batteries with the connectors attached. I have the rest of the Royal system, and need to get batteries that will connect. I hope to use some 4000mah LiPo packs I have and make some adaptor leads that will connect between the battery and the PB unit, but not sure which of the 6 pins are used. I'll check with Chief and see if they have a battery cord that can be used. Thanks again,
Larry
Old 10-10-2015, 09:36 AM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Guys, Thanks for the advice. My problem is I don't have the Power Box batteries with the connectors attached. I have the rest of the Royal system, and need to get batteries that will connect. I hope to use some 4000mah LiPo packs I have and make some adaptor leads that will connect between the battery and the PB unit, but not sure which of the 6 pins are used. I'll check with Chief and see if they have a battery cord that can be used. Thanks again,
Larry
Why not just get these and solder the red wire to the red from the pack & the black on the other lead.
http://www.powerbox-systems.com/en/p...px-female.html

In the USA.... http://www.aircraftinternational.com...1/Default.aspx
This would simplify things... They do have the leads in the USA.
Wayne
Last edited by wmat7039; 10-10-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:57 AM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
Quote:
Larry
Umm.... we seem to have some serious miscommunication going on here.

MOST batteries will come without connectors if they're LiPo's. Some LiFe's come with connectors. Since it's not wise to charge LiPo batteries in the plane, you remove them for charging. I run Deans connectors on all my LiPo's and EC3's on all my LiFe's.

I just get the appropriate adapter for and unplug the batteries at the adapter rather than always plugging them into the PB. Saves on wear and tear of those tiny pins.

Here's the adapter for Deans plugs;

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...bs-123610.html
Old 10-10-2015, 11:16 AM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Sorry if I made it difficult or mixed anyone up, Zeeb.

I guess I'm just spoiled with the P/Box batteries that have everything built into them without a need to disconnect.
My apologies.
W
Old 10-10-2015, 02:29 PM
Joined Sep 2011
217 Posts
Thanks again,

Guys thanks for all the responses and info. I have now ordered a pair of female connectors/leads from Chief. They should do the job just fine.
Thanks,
Larry Fitch
Old 10-11-2015, 02:24 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmat7039 View Post
Sorry if I made it difficult or mixed anyone up, Zeeb.

I guess I'm just spoiled with the P/Box batteries that have everything built into them without a need to disconnect.
My apologies.
W
You didn't cause any confusion, don't worry about it.....
Old 03-26-2017, 10:09 AM
Find More Posts by pc2209
United States, MO, Cape Girardeau
Joined Jan 2009
36 Posts
I know this is an old thread but why was it so hard to answer his question? He was trying to wire up his own connectors and all you guys could do was tell him to buy a pre-made lead...Bah Some of us are comfortable with making our own leads.
pc2209 is offline Find More Posts by pc2209
Old 03-26-2017, 11:35 AM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc2209 View Post
I know this is an old thread but why was it so hard to answer his question? He was trying to wire up his own connectors and all you guys could do was tell him to buy a pre-made lead...Bah Some of us are comfortable with making our own leads.
Some of us just succeeded in melting the plastic on the MPX connectors while trying to heat up three little pins surrounded by a small metal circle and then trying to attach a 16g. wire.

It's one thing to solder tiny wires to tiny pins, it's quite another to solder large wires to a group of small pins in a plastic housing.

I think I melted about five connectors before I gave up and ordered the premade PB adapters..... lol
Old 03-26-2017, 03:13 PM
Find More Posts by crackertom
Joined Jan 2017
109 Posts
Big ladder read this it may help.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-.../?download=pdf
crackertom is offline Find More Posts by crackertom
Old 08-27-2017, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by KillerKrum
Joined Aug 2017
7 Posts
I have a Power Box RRS and there is no input for battery power. It has 7 inputs from rec. 1 and 7 inputs from rec. 2 and then 7 outputs to the appropriate channel servos. Am I missing something? I plan to bring power to each receiver with 2 separate batteries and switches, each split to go to each receiver ie. Switch 1 split to go to receiver 1 & 2 and switch 2 split to go to receiver 1 & 2. With that I will have redundant power to each receiver and due to the RRS box, I'll have redundant receivers. I can see no other way to power up the system. Can any of you guys confirm that what I plan to do is the correct way to connect the RRS Power Box?
KillerKrum is offline Find More Posts by KillerKrum

Quick Reply