logo
Old 06-07-2013, 02:01 AM
Find More Posts by RiGoFlorence
Joined Apr 2008
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig77 View Post
Craig! she looks amazing. just out of curiosity? Is your stab incidence set at 1deg(up at leading edge) we found this the best place on our setup.
This setup is present on mine. I've just 0,25 DEG misalignment between two wing that I'll fix modifying the front pin hole of right wing (those misaligned)
RiGoFlorence is offline Find More Posts by RiGoFlorence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Find More Posts by flytmates
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Nov 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Craig! she looks amazing. just out of curiosity? Is your stab incidence set at 1deg(up at leading edge) we found this the best place on our setup.
Craig, thanks! She flies just as good as she looks! Yes my stabs are at +1 degree at the leading edge.
flytmates is offline Find More Posts by flytmates
Old 06-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Find More Posts by Bedeone
Ciq Skills
Belgium
Joined Jun 2010
75 Posts
I've been pulling long days on the Extra these past four days, and all I have left to do is to mount the tank tray and do the plumbing. Besides that I still have to balance this thing. I put it up on the wingtube with the wings on (slid off a couple inches) and it's heavily tail biased, needing around 300 grammes of weight on the firewall for it to sit even on the wingtube.

Am I correct in assuming the wingtube is the balancing point for this airplane (as a start), the tube is pretty far forward.

To give you an idea, I'm running a DLE111 with a three blade, krumscheid mufflers and a Krill fiberglass spinner sitting at the front. This seems like a fairly normal setup to me.

I'll post some pictures when I find the time, spent all my energy in actually building this thing rather than log my progress.

Almost forgot guys, congratulations on the maidens!
Bedeone is offline Find More Posts by Bedeone
Last edited by Bedeone; 06-07-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by Dean Bird
Straight huckin' !!
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedeone View Post
I've been pulling long days on the Extra these past four days, and all I have left to do is to mount the tank tray and do the plumbing. Besides that I still have to balance this thing. I put it up on the wingtube with the wings on (slid off a couple inches) and it's heavily tail biased, needing around 300 grammes of weight on the firewall for it to sit even on the wing tube.

RiGoFlorence needed 400 grams.

Don't be afraid to add weight to get it right for your maiden.
Dean Bird is offline Find More Posts by Dean Bird
Old 06-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Ciq Skills
Belgium
Joined Jun 2010
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Bird View Post
RiGoFlorence needed 400 grams.

Don't be afraid to add weight to get it right for your maiden.
Thanks for the swift response Dean. I don't really have a problem with adding weight to get the balance right, just want to make sure the wing tube is a good starting point. I can't really find a reference on where the COG is for the Krill Extra 330.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Find More Posts by Dean Bird
Straight huckin' !!
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,615 Posts
Quote:
I can't really find a reference on where the COG is for the Krill Extra 330.

I've always heard front of the wing tube with the wing off, so center of the wing tube with the wing on sounds like a safe bet.
Dean Bird is offline Find More Posts by Dean Bird
Old 06-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Joined Apr 2008
30 Posts
I spent the weekend to Radio Model Shown in Italy where “Krill” stand was present with some birds . I spoke with Italian official dealer about minor adjustments made on Extra especially about the stabs rib wrong alignment.
Discussed also about the weight added to motorbox to reach CG in the tube middle: they were surprised because no other pilot needs that weight. Anyhow, I will start a little nose heavy than I will adjust each flight.

A note about sealing band between wing and fuse and between stabs and fuse : there are custom kit to suit Krill birds, made with black adhesive velvet as shown on attached picture.
I immediately ordered a kit for my Extra because next week will be the maiden day !
Presently I don't know if this sealing kit is made by Italian dealer (8FLY) or if it's a Krill kit.

Riccardo
Last edited by RiGoFlorence; 06-10-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Joined Nov 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGoFlorence View Post
I spent the weekend to Radio Model Shown in Italy where “Krill” stand was present with some birds . I spoke with Italian official dealer about minor adjustments made on Extra especially about the stabs rib wrong alignment.
Discussed also about the weight added to motorbox to reach CG in the tube middle: they were surprised because no other pilot needs that weight. Anyhow, I will start a little nose heavy than I will adjust each flight.

A note about sealing band between wing and fuse and between stabs and fuse : there are custom kit to suit Krill birds, made with black adhesive velvet as shown on attached picture.
I immediately ordered a kit for my Extra because next week will be the maiden day !
Presently I don't know if this sealing kit is made by Italian dealer (8FLY) or if it's a Krill kit.

Riccardo
These are nice! Let us know where to get them. Would love to have a set for my Krill
Old 06-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Joined Nov 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the swift response Dean. I don't really have a problem with adding weight to get the balance right, just want to make sure the wing tube is a good starting point. I can't really find a reference on where the COG is for the Krill Extra 330.
Im at 6 mm forward of the vertical centerline on the wing tube. Flying good at that spot. Would be excellent place to start for maiden.

Craig
Old 06-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Joined Nov 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGoFlorence View Post
Craig, could you please advise me the size and brand of that beatiful wheels ? Here in Italy it's difficult to find wheels with 100-120mm diameter AND 35mm max width ! Krill wheel pants are very narrow !
The wheels are White Rose engineering 4 /14 inch wheels with the 6mm hub. They look great and are very smooth.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Joined Apr 2008
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytmates View Post
These are nice! Let us know where to get them. Would love to have a set for my Krill
You can find them here: http://www.8fly.it/product.asp?Id=2346
or here:
http://www.8fly.it/en/department.asp...t=Price&Desc=0

presently ar not in stock for Extra 330 35% (I got today the last set ) but you can send a message to Claudio asking when them will return in stock (http://www.8fly.it/en/contact_us.asp).

I think that is not Krill made but it's a specially designed and made by 8FLY here in Italy. As soon as I will receive the goods I will inform you about the manufacturer.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Joined Apr 2008
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytmates View Post
The wheels are White Rose engineering 4 /14 inch wheels with the 6mm hub. They look great and are very smooth.
Wow ! about 100 USD for a couple of wheels .They are very nice but very expensive also. I will enlarge my wheel pants to fit a regular rubber/plastic wheel.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by craig77
UK
Joined Jul 2006
837 Posts
Guys the CG is in the middle of the wing tube. when I ran the DA120 with mtw long canisters I had roughly 400g on the firewall and batteries on the carbon area of the rc tray. In my opinion the extra weight isn't an issue as the plane flys stupidly light.

Ive added a little more right thrust too. just helped it track straighter on the up lines.

Iam currently fitting the new MVVS116 and have removed all the added weight to the nose.i will report on how this engine/plane combo works after this weeked.
craig77 is offline Find More Posts by craig77
Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Ciq Skills
Belgium
Joined Jun 2010
75 Posts
Quote:
Guys the CG is in the middle of the wing tube. when I ran the DA120 with mtw long canisters I had roughly 400g on the firewall and batteries on the carbon area of the rc tray. In my opinion the extra weight isn't an issue as the plane flys stupidly light.

Ive added a little more right thrust too. just helped it track straighter on the up lines.

Iam currently fitting the new MVVS116 and have removed all the added weight to the nose.i will report on how this engine/plane combo works after this weeked.
Thanks for the definitive answer there Craig. I've heard that the heavier MVVS doesn't need as much (read: no) weight in the nose. I was told that quite some Krill Extra 330sc's at a flyin in the Netherlands a couple of weeks back had the same thing going on.

Rather than fixing lead somewhere which can shake about, I went ahead and replaced my wooden standoff plate with a steel one. 90mm by 100mm, 10mm thick came in at about 660 grammes, so I drilled out a chunk of the center and I'm now at 460. The old wooden plate was 73 grammes, so in reality I added 387 grammes. I checked with a scale, and as far back from the tube as the firewall was forward to it, it was pushing down "367 grammes of force". So it's currently quite nose heavy, but I'm going to keep it nose heavy like that and maybe drill out more if I deem it necessary later. Then again, drilling out too much and just putting on small tabs of lead might be easier than pulling the engine until it's just right...

I opted for this because fixing 350-400 grammes anywhere where it can shake and potentially resonate and crack material sounded like a bad idea to me. Besides, the firewall is about as far forward as you can put weight, and it's not going to budge.

And as I said, I'm not too worried about adding large chunks of weight, as long as the plane flies good, and if I can believe the videos and eyewitness accounts, it does.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:37 AM
Joined Apr 2008
30 Posts
Velvet sealing kit is arrived . They are similar to "Velcro" tissue and made by 8FLY here in Italy (are not supplied by Krill). Here below a couple of pic and a close-up to view the thickness.

Quick Reply