logo
Old 02-16-2015, 07:38 PM
Find More Posts by donkboy
Joined Dec 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARS II View Post
For those needing to replace the LG call TNT they have the new and improved ones, it will cost you some but worth it.

Here is how I install my wing. 2:45 minutes.

GP Citabria wing install - YouTube
Don't forget to connect the flaps and ailerons !! I doubt if you would, but I had to say it..... Thanks for the video, but what contraptions did you use to install the struts?
donkboy is offline Find More Posts by donkboy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-05-2015, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by Biffster
Joined Jul 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
I've been flying the Citabria and by now it has 12 flights, so far the firewall box fix is holding just fine, the landing gear the same, no issues there, the low bounce tires are a good addition to the airplane the only thing is that some of the wheel pants has to be cleared, mostly the inner part touching the gear, apparently the wheels move that way during a not so perfect landing but the added drag helps when on the ground at idle and the landing roll, the tail flying wires are doing fine, as suspected they needed a small adjustment because they have stretched a very small amount, the adjustment was like a turn on two couplers.

The engine with a new bowman's ring has burned about 1/2 gallon of gas, I use Chevron regular, that is what I started with when I got my 61cc twin cylinder BME so I stayed with it from then on for all my gas engines, I'm using a Xoar 19X8 and getting 7700 rpms but have tuned down to about 7400 rpms on the top end and it idles at around 1600 to 1700 on the lower end, with the added mix on the throttle to make it softer the throttle has become manageable on the lower half.

So far no more lost servo crews but I'm keeping my eyes on them for a few more flights before I secure the floor.

To remove the cowl I unscrew the top cowl screws through the cowl air intake openings, for the lower ones I cut two elongated holes for the screw driver to go in, they are about the same height and position on the cowl as the lower screws ( very easy to remove now ) I also experienced loosing a lower blind nut but was able to put it and glue it back with RC-56 ( I think ) basically canopy glue ( easy to remove when dry ) I guided it with a long wire then pull it with the screw 1/2 way in added the glue then pulled in all the way, pulled the crew out, clean it and put it back in, I also added the same glue to the other blind nuts.

Flying her with the Xoar 19X8 is a blast, vertical climbing rolls are unlimited, inverted flight with the CG at the rear side of the spar at half throttle is just effortless, I think that spot is perfect for now, two wheel landings are awesome with no flaps, I have landed her with full flaps and with the CG at that spot she does not need any Elev. mix during landings, when making a rapid descend from high above one can hear the air rushing trough the airframe and she make a whistling sound, most likely from the hole on the cowl.

All in all AWESOME flying airplane! oh yeah, she looks good too

I will report back after the 20th flight.

Happy landings
I had my maiden two weeks ago. Love the Citabria!!! Had to change out my LG, I got the defective ones. Got the TNT LG it's all good now! And yes, it does look good!
Biffster is offline Find More Posts by Biffster
Old 08-07-2015, 09:09 PM
Find More Posts by CARS II
Go fly a jet today
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Oct 2014
531 Posts
Congrats! on your maiden flight, I will be flying my Citaria next weekend, it has been some time since she when up in the air.
Keep an eye on the magnets holding the windshield, they will come loose around the 10th or 15th flight, I used RC56 to get them back in place, carpenter's glue will work just fine also, using a 20X8 Xoar at the moment, so far I like it.

If you have time check the tread on RCG, it has more upgrades that were done to the Citabria.

Safe flying.
CARS II is offline Find More Posts by CARS II
Old 08-08-2015, 09:44 PM
Joined Jul 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
For those needing to replace the LG call TNT they have the new and improved ones, it will cost you some but worth it.

Here is how I install my wing. 2:45 minutes.

GP Citabria wing install - YouTube
Got the TNT gear for my Citabria. Flew with the near gear today, it's sweet! No bounce or broken props! Thanks for the tip!!!!!
Old 08-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
My buddy has one, and it flies well enough, but getting it to land easy is another challenge. In ground effect it gets really pitchy. Flaring is a recipe for a good bounce, and even wheel landings are a pain. He retired it.
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 08-09-2015, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
United States, IL, Moline
Joined Oct 2008
2,059 Posts
mine flys ok but very wobbly. maybe too much lift being made. landings are harder then my dads cub. I might clip the wings this winter if it don't sell by then. its pretty but after all the issues, it don't fly good enough to want to deal with it anymore
nappyroots2182 is offline Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Old 11-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Joined Jul 2013
31 Posts
Citabria

Anyone else having problems with broken props on landing because of weak gear?
Old 11-09-2015, 11:03 AM
Find More Posts by TimBle
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2010
4,983 Posts
Sounds like the usual great planes problem
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old 11-09-2015, 01:35 PM
Joined Oct 2008
2,059 Posts
The landing gear has been recalled. I have the new gear and it is better but still spreading out. Also the firewall keeps breaking out. I'm just done with this plane. I gave up on great planes arfs a long time ago and this was a bad reminder
Old 11-12-2015, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by rocket_33
Joined Jan 2012
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyroots2182 View Post
mine flys ok but very wobbly. maybe too much lift being made. landings are harder then my dads cub. I might clip the wings this winter if it don't sell by then. its pretty but after all the issues, it don't fly good enough to want to deal with it anymore
Seriously? It lands like a dream and not wobbly at all....very smooth flying. Sounds like your setup may be a bit off. What is your exact setup?
rocket_33 is offline Find More Posts by rocket_33
Old 11-12-2015, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by rocket_33
Joined Jan 2012
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyroots2182 View Post
The landing gear has been recalled. I have the new gear and it is better but still spreading out. Also the firewall keeps breaking out. I'm just done with this plane. I gave up on great planes arfs a long time ago and this was a bad reminder
TNT Landing gear. Did you follow the firewall mods that have been posted?
rocket_33 is offline Find More Posts by rocket_33
Old 11-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by mlholtman
Houston Texas
Joined Sep 2007
172 Posts
Hi Everyone I built one of these planes for a friend and to make installing the wing onto the fuselage easier i replaced those little brackets that mount onto the wing that the struts bolt up to with small hinges. It worked great. You can leave the struts on the wing and they fold down so you can slide them into a wing bag. When installing the wing onto the plane the struts hang straigght down if you havr the plane sitting on the edge of a table.No more puncturing your monokote on the fuselage. I also changed the allen head bolts with button head so the heads wouldn't dent the wing when folded up
mlholtman is offline Find More Posts by mlholtman
Old 01-24-2016, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by Desertlakesflying
United States, NV, Sun Valley
Joined Feb 2014
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
I long for the time when a great planes arf is trouble free and good value
That ended when they ended the Performance Series Aerobatic planes.
Desertlakesflying is offline Find More Posts by Desertlakesflying
Old 01-25-2016, 11:25 AM
Joined Oct 2008
2,059 Posts
my setup was fine. I didn't like the huge wing with short coupled fuse. same as our cubs. just not what I wanted. I had the very first shipment of kits and got the bad gear and breaking firewall. I fixed those issues and made mods to the wing struts to get more clearance to assemble the plane. this plane left a bad taste in my mouth and I decided to send it to a new home.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by tciranni
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Dec 2009
109 Posts
Flew my Citabria for the first time yesterday. On take off roll the plane suddenly turned right 90 degrees. I think it is because the tail wheel springs are too weak. I plan to replace them with something much stiffer. Any one else having this problem.
tciranni is offline Find More Posts by tciranni

Quick Reply