logo
Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by diamondave5
I fly in my head all day
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2008
2,289 Posts
yeh i know there can be debate on using two or not, but i have 2 so i am going to use them, so we dont need to start a discussion on if to use 2 or not, thats already decided in my mind, just which way, if any, is better to set up within the 2, thanks phil
diamondave5 is offline Find More Posts by diamondave5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondave5 View Post
yeh i know there can be debate on using two or not, but i have 2 so i am going to use them, so we dont need to start a discussion on if to use 2 or not, thats already decided in my mind, just which way, if any, is better to set up within the 2, thanks phil
Dave I have two rx's and love the setup. I split the plane in half. No criss-cross. Let's face it, in the event that you lose one half, all you are doing is landing. It just doesn't matter if you are using the right elevator and left aileron....or right elevator and right aileron. No matter how you do it there's more than enough control surface to land the plane. Take your pick. I personally think it's easer to keep track of it with the left/right, no crossing. I have my charge jacks left right so I know what each side takes as far as MAH. The side with rudder uses a bunch more.

Oh in case you asked how to do one aileron. I use 2 servos from the same rx. I didn't want a live servo fighting a dead one. Same with rudder.

Another thing to think about is keeping both sides 100% isolated. That's what I do. Two switches, two batt's. Separate switch and batt for ignition. If you use a Wolverine, they are connected no matter how you shake it. Common ground applies. In mine there's no common ground. I charge all three at once with Cell Pros.
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
Last edited by JoeAirPort; 02-13-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Sponsored by my wife & girls
United States, AL, Mountain Brook
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Quote:
I imagine either way will work just fine. Enjoy your plane!

Phil
Phil Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Old 02-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Find More Posts by Hammerman
DA isn't Haulin it? It Drags
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2006
2,620 Posts
Quote:
Hey Dave I use two receivers on 3 of mine and devide the left and right across the two. My MX2 however only has one. I use the smartfly or power box to carry the load for the servos. I don't see any difference with one or two receivers, just a little more piece of mind with two. The debate over one or two could go on for ever.
Hammerman is offline Find More Posts by Hammerman
Old 02-14-2012, 06:05 AM
I fly in my head all day
Joined May 2008
2,289 Posts
joe i do have 2 switches, not wolverine this time so they will be seperate, i used to notice that with my wolverine and 2 recievers in my old set up, i would turn one of the 2 on and the entire plane came to life, guess thats what the woverine does, anyway not using that this time, my ailerons are Yed so they will just be one plug in, so that can be seperate easy, the rudder im not sure, was going to plug one in to each reciever, that would give me a live and dead in an emergency though, could y them but then your adding a chance of a y failing too, ...well it seems not only there can be a debate on how many recievers but also on the best way to split them
Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 AM
RC Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts
The debate is just words on a web site. What you do with your plane is your call. Have at it.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:41 AM
Joined Mar 2006
2,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAirPort View Post
The debate is just words on a web site. What you do with your plane is your call. Have at it.
I agree. Do what makes you feel better about the install. I do installs the the same way I have been doing it for many years. Since color and white frequncies.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Find More Posts by Eganwp
Jesus saves!
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Feb 2009
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAirPort View Post
Dave I have two rx's and love the setup. I split the plane in half. No criss-cross. Let's face it, in the event that you lose one half, all you are doing is landing. It just doesn't matter if you are using the right elevator and left aileron....or right elevator and right aileron. No matter how you do it there's more than enough control surface to land the plane. Take your pick. I personally think it's easer to keep track of it with the left/right, no crossing. I have my charge jacks left right so I know what each side takes as far as MAH. The side with rudder uses a bunch more.

Oh in case you asked how to do one aileron. I use 2 servos from the same rx. I didn't want a live servo fighting a dead one. Same with rudder.

Another thing to think about is keeping both sides 100% isolated. That's what I do. Two switches, two batt's. Separate switch and batt for ignition. If you use a Wolverine, they are connected no matter how you shake it. Common ground applies. In mine there's no common ground. I charge all three at once with Cell Pros.
Hey Joe,

Got a couple questions for ya as I'm planning on running dual O9's in my new 35% H9 Extra 300 that apply to your discussion. My plan was to split it up like you're doing, though I may have one left elev + right aileron (2) on one, doesn't really matter as you say.

My questions are with regards to Wolverines as I too will be running my wolverine in that plane. With dual A123's, I was going to tie one deans power output to one RX, and the other wolverine output to the other RX. My question is battery share. If my rudder RX pulls a lot more mah throughout a flight than the other RX for example, the Wolverine is designed to stop power draw from that low pack and draw from the other one. However, upon doing so, will BOTH dean's outputs from the Wovlerine still be powered, or just ONE? Reason I ask is, if one dies, then I'd lose an RX during flight! haha.

I'm assuming the answer is that it the Wolverine's draw from both packs, but battery share off one pack, yet output to both leads regardless. If not, I guess I'd be smarter to tie off both leads to each RX to always have power from both Wolverine outputs. You'd think I'd know the answer to this as I've been running these wolverines for 2 years! Just never run dual RX's and always tied both power redundancies into 1 RX.

Thanks!
Eganwp is offline Find More Posts by Eganwp
Old 02-14-2012, 06:59 PM
I fly in my head all day
Joined May 2008
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerman View Post
I agree. Do what makes you feel better about the install. I do installs the the same way I have been doing it for many years. Since color and white frequncies.
wow segragation, you have been in it a while
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Mar 2006
2,620 Posts
Quote:
wow segragation, you have been in it a while
Yeah, may have been before you were born. Those old frequncies had a color and a white stripe flag that went on the end of the trans antenna, also on AM. The 3IM thing was the next issue although I had no problem. And don't forget the "1991 Gold sticker"
Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by Slats!
Joined Dec 2008
1,287 Posts
Egan is that your sisters Yak in your picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganwp View Post
Hey Joe,

Got a couple questions for ya as I'm planning on running dual O9's in my new 35% H9 Extra 300 that apply to your discussion. My plan was to split it up like you're doing, though I may have one left elev + right aileron (2) on one, doesn't really matter as you say.

My questions are with regards to Wolverines as I too will be running my wolverine in that plane. With dual A123's, I was going to tie one deans power output to one RX, and the other wolverine output to the other RX. My question is battery share. If my rudder RX pulls a lot more mah throughout a flight than the other RX for example, the Wolverine is designed to stop power draw from that low pack and draw from the other one. However, upon doing so, will BOTH dean's outputs from the Wovlerine still be powered, or just ONE? Reason I ask is, if one dies, then I'd lose an RX during flight! haha.

I'm assuming the answer is that it the Wolverine's draw from both packs, but battery share off one pack, yet output to both leads regardless. If not, I guess I'd be smarter to tie off both leads to each RX to always have power from both Wolverine outputs. You'd think I'd know the answer to this as I've been running these wolverines for 2 years! Just never run dual RX's and always tied both power redundancies into 1 RX.

Thanks!
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:58 PM
RC Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganwp View Post
Hey Joe,

Thanks!
Hey good to see you in the EF 110 Yak thread.

Your assumption is 100% correct. Wolverine draws from 1 batt at a time but both outputs always feed power to the rx or rx's. So both rx's will always have power. Wolverine's an incredible switch but I used two Badgers because I wanted to have both sides completely isolated.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Find More Posts by Eganwp
Jesus saves!
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Feb 2009
1,025 Posts
Cool, makes sense. Thanks Joe!
Eganwp is offline Find More Posts by Eganwp
Old 02-18-2012, 03:29 PM
I fly in my head all day
Joined May 2008
2,289 Posts
well havent had much time to do anything major, did some small stuff like mounted my switches, fuel dot, made 2 trays and mounted for recievers, got my dash assembled and ready to glue, sunday i think i have a free day so i plan to do my rudder, wanted to wait till i had a block of time so i know i can get programming done, and still have to make up the poo poo cables...
Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 AM
I fly in my head all day
Joined May 2008
2,289 Posts
joe you test run that prop yet??

Quick Reply