logo
Old 12-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by krxprt
United States, MI, Davisburg
Joined Jan 2011
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
I am looking for servos for my first gas/large plane.

Thanks for posting this.

In the table, I don't understand why it has two weights listed (2.9 and 4.0 oz.).

Also, what does "MK First gear mean"?

What is the width of that servo arm?

This looks like a cool servo.
MK is metal pinion karbonite main gear.
krxprt is offline Find More Posts by krxprt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mayberry View Post
RF noise with metal to metal contact to an electric motor.

Mike.
Thanks, I always wonder about that but it makes total sense.
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
Old 12-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
you will be assimilated
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2012
1,097 Posts
It doesn't make sense to me. I'm not saying it's wrong. I just don't understand. But what makes me skeptical isn't Mike Mayberry's fault: I've seen all sorts of crazy theories regarding RF spewed by engineers who should know better (and I might have even spewed a few of them myself.)
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old 12-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by Smacka
United States, PA, Ridgway
Joined Jun 2008
2,571 Posts
Quote:
It doesn't make sense to me. I'm not saying it's wrong. I just don't understand. But what makes me skeptical isn't Mike Mayberry's fault: I've seen all sorts of crazy theories regarding RF spewed by engineers who should know better (and I might have even spewed a few of them myself.)
Start reading...there's ton more where this came from...

http://www.radio-electronics.com/inf...y-rf-noise.php
Smacka is offline Find More Posts by Smacka
Old 12-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Hermit
Joined Jan 2008
1,607 Posts
So this is a HS-7954SH High Voltage Ultra Torque
with a Seacraft top case?
Jkoch713 is offline Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Old 12-14-2012, 11:41 PM
Find More Posts by racelikustolit3k
how low can you go
United States, OK, Inola
Joined Aug 2008
602 Posts
spec wise, it looks that way.. I'm out though
racelikustolit3k is offline Find More Posts by racelikustolit3k
Old 12-15-2012, 01:27 AM
Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
you will be assimilated
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2012
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smacka View Post
Start reading...there's ton more where this came from...

http://www.radio-electronics.com/inf...y-rf-noise.php
Thanks for the link. I just went to the page, have studied the topics presented there in the past, didn't find anything pertinent to metal gear on metal gear noise. Most of the topics presented in the link were dealing with phenomenon in semiconductors, not motors.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am fairly competent when it comes to RF, noise, and have on multiple occasions had my designs get through emissions (unintentional radiator) testing with first past success thanks to my technical understanding of noise and RF energy--indeed, I'm batting 1000 this past decade, including some intentional radiator (RF) designs...but I don't recall ever studying anything regarding metal on metal gears, when one of the gears is connected to a motor, leading to RF noise.

But that's possibly because I don't do electromechanical devices like a servo or even anything with motor control. I'm usually working in the 100 MHz to 2.5 GHz range.

So I am genuinely interested in this, partly for more knowledge if it's true, and possibly to learn that this is a plausible sounding but otherwise untrue explanation that is nevertheless repeated.

A more specific explanation would be most appreciated.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old 12-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Find More Posts by Smacka
United States, PA, Ridgway
Joined Jun 2008
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the link. I just went to the page, have studied the topics presented there in the past, didn't find anything pertinent to metal gear on metal gear noise. Most of the topics presented in the link were dealing with phenomenon in semiconductors, not motors.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am fairly competent when it comes to RF, noise, and have on multiple occasions had my designs get through emissions (unintentional radiator) testing with first past success thanks to my technical understanding of noise and RF energy--indeed, I'm batting 1000 this past decade, including some intentional radiator (RF) designs...but I don't recall ever studying anything regarding metal on metal gears, when one of the gears is connected to a motor, leading to RF noise.

But that's possibly because I don't do electromechanical devices like a servo or even anything with motor control. I'm usually working in the 100 MHz to 2.5 GHz range.

So I am genuinely interested in this, partly for more knowledge if it's true, and possibly to learn that this is a plausible sounding but otherwise untrue explanation that is nevertheless repeated.

A more specific explanation would be most appreciated.
Yeah, you were fairly vague in your post, as it sounded like your position was one of "I refuse to believe in God until he shows up right in front of me", which lead me to believe you had no prior knowledge of fundamental electronics.

With respect to your comment requesting a better explanation, I still say "google". When I need information, I go get it (not meant condescending) because rarely is their factual information passed along in an open forum.

I do believe you are on the right track with respect to electromechanical discussion.

One last note, I went to Joe Nall two years ago. A person had contructed a servo test box to prove RF affected servo operation. It was quite informative. I watched as he could turn on and off the effects of RF with a particular device he was testing (a receiver). He had an all metal gear train and demonstrated that the servo jittered to beat the band as he exercised the receiver with his radio. He switched out one of the gears with a "non-conductive" one, and the problem went away. It seemed as though the all metal gear train was trying to act like an antenna of sorts (??).

Have fun!
Smacka is offline Find More Posts by Smacka
Last edited by Smacka; 12-15-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Find More Posts by rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....
United States, PA, Home
Joined Nov 2006
3,941 Posts
It comes down to electricly floating the servo motor shaft on one end, easiest end to do this is on the main drive external to the servo, shaft ground currents can infract upon electronics in very perculiar ways -
rooman is offline Find More Posts by rooman
Old 12-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Hermit
Joined Jan 2008
1,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
Meh,

whatever happened to the brushless servos?

It would appear the hitec engineers in Tiwan are not wanting to make the same mistakes they did with the 79XX series...
Build dif. designed boards, or keep the same design and make sure the motors don't cause the dreaded...rudder "wagle"....
Jkoch713 is offline Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Old 12-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Find More Posts by crackedup
Team Flex/Hitec
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Mar 2006
249 Posts
RF Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAirPort View Post
Mike M, can you explain why the first gear is always some sort of plastic on your MG servos? Makes no sense. Why not all metal?
Metal to Metal would be an issue do to RF noise to the electric motor, think about your engine same thing..
crackedup is offline Find More Posts by crackedup
Old 12-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Team Flex/Hitec
Joined Mar 2006
249 Posts
Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by off2fly View Post
Can Hitec be trusted?
Did not understand this but feel the need to reply. I have been flying with Mike and the TEAM with no issues for a while now again with NO issue at all. Hitec in itself is a cutting edge company with Ideas that the others seem to follow, and take the lead from so if they trust the ideas why not everyone else. I have flown other brands and they are all good. However Mike and Hitec LEAD the way and are always stepping forward. I think that is were you want to be. Trust has never been an issue with Mike and or the HITEC brand. Mike always is out to take care of the customers, and the TEAM first rate person and FIRST RATE product.

Again this is my opinion and my experience with Mike, and HITEC product. I am glad to fly and be a part of this TEAM.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Team Flex/Hitec
Joined Mar 2006
249 Posts
OOPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedup View Post
Metal to Metal would be an issue do to RF noise to the electric motor, think about your engine same thing..
Should have read a couple post further Mike answered.

Sorry about that Mike.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by Mike Mayberry
Poway, CA
Joined Mar 2006
798 Posts
Quote:
The original 945MG had all metal gears with "special grease" that was supposed to resolve the issue but as the grease wore off the servo would start to twitch. We then developed the MP (Metal/Plastic) gear. Then came the M/K (Metal/Karbonite) and on the new soon to be released brushless servos we will have the outer portion of the Karbonite sandwiched with a ring of aluminum around the outside edge that touches the motor pinion. This increases the strength of the gear even further for the 500in/oz+ servo but still leaving the buffer zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkoch713 View Post
So this is a HS-7954SH High Voltage Ultra Torque
with a Seacraft top case?
Yes.

Mike.
Mike Mayberry is offline Find More Posts by Mike Mayberry
Old 12-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,564 Posts
Now I am tempted to tear into a Futaba BLS-157HV and see how they do it. It is as close to a perfect servo as I have ever had, it has 500+ oz-in, and is brushless. Hopefully Hitec bought a few and took some notes. I get them from the LHS for $155 each.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman

Quick Reply