Old 09-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Find More Posts by T_Simatovic
Team Horizon
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Jan 2010
3,889 Posts
Question
what does 3d mean anyway??

ive been flying 3d for 2-3 years now and i dont even know the definition... what does 3d mean? what does a plane have to have to be a 3D plane? my friend asked me... wow you fly toy planes? and i said sort of... i told her i fly 3d and she says, what does 3d mean? i said.....good question!!! haha just curious so i can have the answer when i am asked....
T_Simatovic is offline Find More Posts by T_Simatovic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Our society is collapsing
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2006
8,711 Posts
I define it as any time when the airframe is flying in a stalled condition......

Don't know if that is "correct'
but it works for me
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old 09-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by gapple12
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
3D Three Dimensional flying on all three axises, I think.....
gapple12 is offline Find More Posts by gapple12
Old 09-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by Futabaman
United States, VA, Amelia Court House
Joined Jan 2006
606 Posts
3D is more of a flying style than a technical aspect of aeronautics. Example "X games". Where's the X in snowboarding, etc?
Futabaman is offline Find More Posts by Futabaman
Old 09-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Find More Posts by Reza
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts
As mentioned 3D means 3 dimensional, however, it represents stalled condition maneuvers. True 3dimensional flying can also be performed with speed just like snap rolls and many other maneuvers but it is an accepted term in RC to represent a flying style! Now, if you want to impress her, why don't you take her to the field and fly for her, take a buddy box with you as well :-)
Reza is offline Find More Posts by Reza
Old 09-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Team Horizon
Joined Jan 2010
3,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza View Post
As mentioned 3D means 3 dimensional, however, it represents stalled condition maneuvers. True 3dimensional flying can also be performed with speed just like snap rolls and many other maneuvers but it is an accepted term in RC to represent a flying style! Now, if you want to impress her, why don't you take her to the field and fly for her, take a buddy box with you as well :-)
hehehehehehehehehehe you spoke too soon hehehe she thought that the way i flew was like everyone else until i took her to the field and whipped it out... some of the guys there were like,"DUDE!!!, you got some mad skills!" (it was a guy who just started flying, so nothing to brag about lol) and she said, "are you like the best pilot there or something?" i said, "well i dont mean to brag but they all fly like real planes do". she replied with the best thing she could possibly reply with ,"whats the point of that?!!!" hehehehehe i let her fly a parkzone t28 that i was trying to destroy. she almost hit 3 people, us, a car and then she hit the ground behind a car. i was laughing my butt off and when i went to get it it started flying off in the distance... super fun day... the buddy box might be a good adittion haha
Old 09-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Still Draggin' 'Em
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts
Quote:
Don't forget to take a 4-Site and a Habu! Lol. 3D is any flying in a post stalled condition. That's what I've always understood anyway.
BOSSIER_ROB is offline Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Old 09-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by Reza
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts
Some of best moments that you wont forget! Now in absence of a buddy box like old days, you stay behind her and reach around to help her with the controls! Although,this time, I am afraid you'll lose the plane before she does! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomascratchbuild View Post
hehehehehehehehehehe you spoke too soon hehehe she thought that the way i flew was like everyone else until i took her to the field and whipped it out... some of the guys there were like,"DUDE!!!, you got some mad skills!" (it was a guy who just started flying, so nothing to brag about lol) and she said, "are you like the best pilot there or something?" i said, "well i dont mean to brag but they all fly like real planes do". she replied with the best thing she could possibly reply with ,"whats the point of that?!!!" hehehehehe i let her fly a parkzone t28 that i was trying to destroy. she almost hit 3 people, us, a car and then she hit the ground behind a car. i was laughing my butt off and when i went to get it it started flying off in the distance... super fun day... the buddy box might be a good adittion haha
LMAO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSIER_ROB View Post
Don't forget to take a 4-Site and a Habu! Lol. 3D is any flying in a post stalled condition. That's what I've always understood anyway.
Reza is offline Find More Posts by Reza
Old 09-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Team Horizon
Joined Jan 2010
3,889 Posts
i kinda pictured 3d meaning a plane with big surfaces and a 2:1 power to weight ratio or more, its good to know that im not the only one who doesnt know completely...
Old 09-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Team Horizon
Joined Jan 2010
3,889 Posts
Quote:
Some of best moments that you wont forget! Now in absence of a buddy box like old days, you stay behind her and reach around to help her with the controls! Although,this time, I am afraid you'll lose the plane before she does! lol

hehehehehehe so true. she said she wanted a foamy, so i gotta get her to fly first before i waste a good foamie on her lol shes alot of fun... back to the 3d topic again
Old 09-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Find More Posts by TimSmith
Account Closed
Joined Dec 2007
1,901 Posts
Now my Heli. That truley has a flight envelope in third dimenisional flight aspect. Up down side to side back and forth and angular all from a hover .
TimSmith is offline Find More Posts by TimSmith
Old 09-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Team Horizon
Joined Jan 2010
3,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSmith View Post
Now my Heli. That truley has a flight envelope in third dimenisional flight aspect. Up down side to side back and forth and angular all from a hover .
that makes sense... lot more than planes lol... and 4d.... hehehhehehe i can do that too, but still doesnt make sense... hehehe that to me should be 3d... cuz it goes backwards...
Old 09-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Team Horizon
Joined Jan 2010
3,889 Posts
at this point, why dont we post some of our own videos of what 3d looks like lets make it a video swap thread
Old 09-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
It is just a label that was given to the style of flying. Not to be taken as a literal description(because it isn't really 3 dimensional).

I don't like the term "3d plane" some planes fly 3d better than others but I don't like calling my scale aerobatic models "3d planes". They are aerobatic planes.
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Old 09-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Tex
Find More Posts by Tex
Tex
United States, TX, Iowa Park
Joined Aug 2007
2,478 Posts
Here you go on the video.......3D all the way

GTRCC 09 Tex Yak (12 min 40 sec)
Tex is offline Find More Posts by Tex